Hornby 2bil 2hal

Can anyone advise the best way of coupling a Hornby 2bil and 2 Hal together. I have tried a normal carriage coupling but the lever fouls the points. I need it to run on 2nd radius curves.

• RMweb Gold

Do you want to run them permanently coupled together? Or be able to separate them remotely using an uncoupling ramp?

If the former, various manufacturers make bars which fit in NEM coupler pockets.

If the latter, your problem is presumably that the coupler pockets are set too low. If that is the case, it won't do any harm to cut down the coupling a bit as it will still work relative to the uncoupling ramp.

Do you want to run them permanently coupled together? Or be able to separate them remotely using an uncoupling ramp?

If the former, various manufacturers make bars which fit in NEM coupler pockets.

If the latter, your problem is presumably that the coupler pockets are set too low. If that is the case, it won't do any harm to cut down the coupling a bit as it will still work relative to the uncoupling ramp.

Thank you for your reply, I would run them permanently as I think they often did. I found a Bachmann " pipe coupler" that seems to work. Not tried on tightest curve yet.

I use Kadee #19s on mine, except #20 on the trailing DTC of the HALs because of Hornby's gaffe on the coupling pocket being too far back. Mine run on third radius curves, but if the clearances aren't sufficient, go to #20 for all. I bend the dropper arms up a little, but if they foul your uncouplers, and you want semi-permanent coupling, cut the droppers off completely (something I have done within kit-built units as there is no need to automatically uncouple coaches from within a 4 SUB or 4 EPB, or, indeed, the the pairs of intermodal container wagons where I have used Kadee #17 couplers).

A YouTube video I posted around a year ago with four units "in multiple" using the Kadees between units. Sorry about the reduced size of the window (an error I made when reducing the video for YouTube).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I tried Kadee #18s on mine with 30" being the tightest radius but still got derailments, so all are now coupled with #19s.  On the first 2HALs, the NEM pocket on the trailer coach is too long and a Kadee coupling will not clip in. You have to file about 1mm off the coupling box to get the coupling to click in place (same needed even with a Hornby tension lock).  Hence you now need a Kadee #20.

But I recently purchased the blue version and also the one with full yellow ends, and on these the coupling pocket was OK so a #19 fitted OK.

Thank you for the info, your layout is impressive. Where, if anywhere , have you based it? Mine is loosely based on Norwood junction early 60's where I used to catch a steam train to East Croydon, I think the train was for non electrified Oxted and or Tunbridge Wells. Usually a Standard 4 tank. I will try some Kadee couplings

Regards

My layout is entirely fictional, and can "move" around the Southern a bit, according to what stock I want to run! The video is actually on the low level tracks which represent a London Transport underground station and surrounds, again fictional.

Thanks for the compliment.

I like the Kadees for use in my multiple units as they allow easy uncoupling when required, even without using the auto-uncoupling features. They also eliminate most of the "slop" between units that tension lock types allow.

Your steam train would almost certainly have been destined for the Oxted lines. My own memories include steam on the Kent coast lines, DEMUs on the Hastings line and Three Bridges - East Grinstead line, as well as electric (class 71) haulage for the Golden Arrow, the Brighton Belle, and all the 'ordinary' EMUs like BILs, HALs, CEPs (with MLVs), LAVs, SUBs, PULs and PANs, mostly from home in Pound Hill (just the other side of the Brighton line from Three Bridges), and from my grandparents' house in Petts Wood - I could watch the trains from their kitchen window or the back garden.

Edited by SRman

What memories, at the age of 10 I was allowed to go up to London with my slightly older brother, we could catch a direct train from Norwood but nearly allways went via East Croydon to catch a 6 Pul if possible, even daring once to sit in the Pullman, 2nd class of course and got served. Another fond memory is on arrival at Norwood every morning, we would see a procession of 4 Cors thundering through on route to London Bridge with their " bellies" wobbling alarmingly. Maybe you can help, it doesn't seem the correct route for 4 Cors but needless to say they were very common there

• RMweb Gold

What memories, at the age of 10 I was allowed to go up to London with my slightly older brother, we could catch a direct train from Norwood but nearly allways went via East Croydon to catch a 6 Pul if possible, even daring once to sit in the Pullman, 2nd class of course and got served. Another fond memory is on arrival at Norwood every morning, we would see a procession of 4 Cors thundering through on route to London Bridge with their " bellies" wobbling alarmingly. Maybe you can help, it doesn't seem the correct route for 4 Cors but needless to say they were very common there

Peak hour services to London Bridge for The City bore no resemblance to off-peak regular services, so plenty of Cors would be seen. They would typically be ECS to New Cross Gate or Streatham Hill where they would berth for evening peak services. During the day London Bridge usually had no more than an hourly service to Brighton, calling at all halts and lamp-posts, probably formed of a 4-Lav.

Thank you for that info on 4 Cors, I see you are in Le Mans, I am in Mayenne, not far at all. Are you

Peak hour services to London Bridge for The City bore no resemblance to off-peak regular services, so plenty of Cors would be seen. They would typically be ECS to New Cross Gate or Streatham Hill where they would berth for evening peak services. During the day London Bridge usually had no more than an hourly service to Brighton, calling at all halts and lamp-posts, probably formed of a 4-Lav.

Thank you for that info on 4 Cors, I see you are in Le Mans, I am in Mayenne, not far at all. Are you Modelling anything in particular ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for that info on 4 Cors, I see you are in Le Mans, I am in Mayenne, not far at all. Are you

Thank you for that info on 4 Cors, I see you are in Le Mans, I am in Mayenne, not far at all. Are you Modelling anything in particular ?

Thank you everybody for the replies. The Kadee 20 work fine with a little bending up of the arms. No problems even on 2nd radius curve. Correct about the 2 Hal coupling pocket being too deep at one end for the coupling to " click" in. If you turn the unit around it fits the other end. Crazy!

Thanks again

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I recently broke one of the coupling bars that join the two coaches together in one of my Hornby 2HALs.
I've been unable to find a replacement Hornby item from any of the usual suspects.  To cut a long story short, should anybody suffer the same misfortune, Bachmann Intermodal wagon drawbars (Part No. 36-059) are the same length and fit nicely.  The 2BIL couplings bars are also the same length BTW.
Hope that helps somebody in the same predicament some day.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2016 at 15:59, Butler said:

Thank you everybody for the replies. The Kadee 20 work fine with a little bending up of the arms. No problems even on 2nd radius curve. Correct about the 2 Hal coupling pocket being too deep at one end for the coupling to " click" in. If you turn the unit around it fits the other end. Crazy!

Thanks again

Hello Butler 

As it happens the 2-Hal Coupling Pocket issue is easy to rectify by simply drilling  a 1.5mm hole either side of the pocket in the place where the clips end. I have done this on mine and it works perfect using a Kibri NEM coupling bar in the shape of a screw coupling  similar to these :-

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-103647/symoba-104-drawbar-nem-362-compatable.htm

Cheers Trailrage

• Agree 1