Peter's Boring Picture Thread

Peter Kazmierczak

As I post quite a few pictures in the "Creative Picture" thread which aren't all that creative, I thought I'd post them here instead.

They are just things that've caught my eye. You might like them; you might not. They will be all railway-related in some way. Many will be current, others older.

All pictures are taken from the public-side of the fence.

#1 SWT units

Weekends usually find the carriage sidings on the west side of Guildford station full of units awaiting their Monday-morning call.

post-6880-0-19322600-1465758506.jpg

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 17

#4 Sheltering from the rain

The footbridges over both the Portsmouth and West of England/Bournemouth lines at Woking Junction are a popular spot to watch the trains go by. An advantage is that there are some trees to shelter beneath when the inevitable June showers appear.

Here a Class 450 heads an up service as the drizzle falls.

post-6880-0-93245900-1466111847.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for your comments Keith. To be honest I'm not really into the hardware-side of photography. I just point and shoot and hope for the best..........

I use two cameras - a Nikon Coolpix L810 (what is termed as a "bridge camera" I understand) and a Sony DSC-WX200 (which just slips into the pocket), though the latter is really my wife's.....

The Nikon is very good for telephoto shots, but doesn't like taking moving trains in more low-light conditions. My example has just developed a strange trait of the image jumping around as you zoom in - rather disconcerting but it doesn't seem to effect the final image, though doesn't help with the composition. It uses normal AA batteries, which I prefer, as it's easy to carry around sufficient spares.

The Sony is better at capturing moving trains, but the image quality/colour balance isn't as good (in my eyes) as the Nikon.

The first three photos above are taken with the Nikon; the final one with the Sony.

• Like 1

#5 Summer's evening at Finsbury Park

You know the kind of day, when it's been hot and sticky in the City and the heat still lingers into the evening. Back c1969, D5600 - still in green livery by the look of it but with a BR logo - runs into Finsbury Park with a northbound evening local towards the end of the rush hour. The stock is formed of BR non-corridors.

D5600 was new to Hornsey in March 1960, moving to Finsbury Park the following month when that depot opened. It moved to March in January 1961, then to Immingham in April 1966 before returning to Finsbury Park in April 1966 where it was allocated when this picture was taken.

post-6880-0-15420900-1466201057.jpg

• Like 18

#6 Westhouses

Westhouses shed, or what was left of it, in July 1977. One of those locations that slipped off many people's radar, mine included. However it played an important stabling role in BR's quest to move coal from the (then) numerous local colleries.

Class 20s to the fore in this shot, with 20005 (one of the original batch) taking centre stage.

post-6880-0-02200400-1466330686.jpg

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

#10 Steam train in the landscape

Ex-SR 31806 pulls away from Corfe Castle earlier this afternoon, with the 12.40 Swanage - Norden, running approx 10 mins late. It almost looks like a model layout from this angle, high on the castle abutments.

post-6880-0-90075200-1468698656.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Definitely a model....

Too much relief on the roofs in the foreground, and while the close coupling looks good on the coaches, there is far too much of a gap betwween the tender and the coaches.

Need I go on?

Please post in the 'How realistic is my model?' thread in future, or Mod 4 will be called on!

Regards (and excellent work)

Ian

#11 Thousand at Cowley Bridge

D1035 "Western Yeoman" heads a down special towards Exeter on 27th August 1973 at 11.20. Those were the days when I actually labelled my pictures.......

A typical dull and overcast Bank Holiday Monday.

After all these years, I wonder if anyone knows what 1Z55 was?

post-6880-0-50153800-1468759028.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

#11 Thousand at Cowley Bridge

D1035 "Western Yeoman" heads a down special towards Exeter on 27th August 1973 at 11.20. Those were the days when I actually labelled my pictures.......

A typical dull and overcast Bank Holiday Monday.

After all these years, I wonder if anyone knows what 1Z55 was?

attachicon.gifFile2167.jpg

I suspect that it was probably a  relief train.

Peter Kazmierczak says: " I just point and shoot and hope for the best.........." And I'm glad you do, I always like to see your photos. I like this topic, too, for it is here that we can place the everyday, "boring" photos. I'd like to add one such, taken in, I think, '74, with my then new addition of a Prinzflex telephoto (200mm I think) on my also new Practica LLC, this is a goods yard at York in an everyday occurrence. I'd love to have the cahnce to be bored by this kind of scene now

post-2411-0-53334500-1469783560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peppercorn
  • Like 9