Heljan announce "O gauge Depot" kit

MGR Hooper!

Does look good, but the proof will be in the painting, I feel.

Is there any internal wall detail?

Jeff P

As Brian says,  there isn't any internal wall detailing but it is simple to cut some brick embossed plastikard to fit the interior walls, this is what I have done and is well worth the small amount of effort it takes. My 6-bay depot is just awaiting the arrival of some canopy glue to fix the glazing in place-the solvent I use (Plastic Magic) doesn't seem to do the job, though it fixes all the other parts easily enough. The finished product will repay a bit of forward planning and pre-painting of parts. Be warned, it is big and somewhat unwieldy to work on once you have joined a few sections together. Some filer may be needed on the roof joints. All in all, I am very pleased with mine and will post a shot once I feel it is worthy of being photographed. 

Jeff

• Like 2

post-12187-0-50628000-1485552093_thumb.jpg

Depot now well on the way to completion so a few rough shots. I haven't fastened the roof handrails on yet as I'm waiting until the shed is more or less fixed in place. At the moment it needs bedding into the layout. I'm quite pleased with it, mine is the four bay kit with two bay extension. I wouldn't like to try and handle anything any longer-it's a big beast! I'm annoyed with myself that I managed to smear glue on some of the glazing. At this size it would easily hold four Bo-Bos and two 08s or maybe four 37/40 size locos. Now needs some detailing inside etc. In the fullness of time....

Jeff

post-12187-0-77525900-1485552355_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 years later...

If anyone has this kit would it be possible to let me know the vertical distance from the ground to the top of the main door opening (I.e. the door that locos go in and out of)? I'm possibly looking at using it as a basis for Hitchin shed which has a 'front door' 131mm tall in O gauge. 

Thanks, Phil 

1 hour ago, markjj said:

145mm the measurements are on the Tower models site I hope this helps.

http://www.tower-models.com

I'm sure someone is doing laser kits based on bits of Hitchin have you tried looking at all the laser kit sites? 

Thanks very much indeed Mark - sorry I hadn't seen the Tower Models site - doh! I will have a scan of the laser kits and see what I can find - thanks for the heads up! Best wishes, Phil. 

23 hours ago, markjj said:

145mm the measurements are on the Tower models site I hope this helps.

http://www.tower-models.com

I'm sure someone is doing laser kits based on bits of Hitchin have you tried looking at all the laser kit sites? 

Mark is this the one you were thinking of? It looks cracking although a lot less glass than Hitchin - not for sale yet, but does have a lower 'front door' by the looks of it - my concern with the Heljan one is that the front door is rather high - presumably in case people want to use it as a shed with OHLE?: 

https://railwaylaserlines.co.uk/product/rll704ss-two-road-servicing-refuelling-shed-in-o-gauge/

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, philiprporter said:

Mark is this the one you were thinking of? It looks cracking although a lot less glass than Hitchin - not for sale yet, but does have a lower 'front door' by the looks of it - my concern with the Heljan one is that the front door is rather high - presumably in case people want to use it as a shed with OHLE?: 

https://railwaylaserlines.co.uk/product/rll704ss-two-road-servicing-refuelling-shed-in-o-gauge/

It could be. I remember seeing a post on Facebook I think it was that said it was in development. I'm sure there are a lot of other similar ones in the pipeline from others to. I know Intentio do some lovely kits one of theres is based on Peterborough I believe. 

I'm guessing the Heljan one is done so that it can be used for continental railways as well and many of them are OHLE now. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/06/2020 at 09:54, markjj said:

It could be. I remember seeing a post on Facebook I think it was that said it was in development. I'm sure there are a lot of other similar ones in the pipeline from others to. I know Intentio do some lovely kits one of theres is based on Peterborough I believe. 

I'm guessing the Heljan one is done so that it can be used for continental railways as well and many of them are OHLE now. 

Intentio have a two shed in development that could be made in to Hitchen, Colchester etc. Follow their facebook page for updates.

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, BrushType4 said:

Intentio have a two shed in development that could be made in to Hitchen, Colchester etc. Follow their facebook page for updates.

I thought it might have been you that has something in the pipeline  Phil I know you did a lovely single road one ;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, markjj said:

I thought it might have been you that has something in the pipeline  Phil I know you did a lovely single road one ;)

Thanks Mark.

Some pictures of our Westbury inspired single road shed.

98430159_1357545674443091_7682004387098525696_n.jpg.f15b5fd0cb5e5d7a235ebfeb05485480.jpg99388653_1358255351038790_8006257023328976896_n-2.jpg.7385e125dd74f986486bed8deacccd5a.jpg98604834_1358255361038789_844505426409029632_n-2.jpg.63ed88e1b8d4342e90a3d32dcf852c30.jpg98588100_1358255387705453_5246321342545920000_n-2.jpg.760412856ceb5f82b30bddb8753b8e98.jpg

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1