Warrington Bank Quay - The Northern Approach - OO DCC

Wild Boar Fell

Evening All, 

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. After a bit of rearranging of the boards, I have had a look at how viable it is.

The photo below shows the rough location of the crossover in relation to the board join. Whilst it would not be ideally placed(short track lengths near the join), it is probably not too difficult to implement. 

post-13109-0-70493100-1486927945_thumb.jpg

I think this idea may have legs, wish I hadn't passed the opportunity to get a RES 47 for sub £60 now. Need to track down some DVTs now too.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

Hi there,

My suggestion ( as i model roughly the same area and timescales your doing )

Would be to do 2004/2005 onwards when all loco hauled services have been shelved and just go with the pendo / voyager option. You don't have to show 11 car formations as not all of them are 11 car formations yet? correct me if i am wrong. You can then include the loco hauled options such as the WAG express, Pretendolino - WB64 / WB65 sets which are interesting model (I am also doing this set). As both of these virgin mk3 relief sets have seen several locos. The older rebranded virgin set saw, GBRF 87's, DRS 87's, Electric blue 86 and EWS 90's as well as the new pretendolino new livery saw ews, db, first scotrail, freightliner and drs class 90's pulling them. 

Northern DMU's featured around the area aren't too hard to find. Realtrack do the 144, soon to be doing a 142 if you can't wait for that then Hornby have also done that version. Bachmann have done the 150, and 158. Hornby have covered all liveries for the 153's that could go through here.

Hope this is of some use. 

• Like 1

Thanks WCML100, I think I am going to go with setting the layout primarily between 2001-2004, but with the ability to model up to 2006 (then I can get away with the 350 too).

As I declined the chance to purchase one of the new 68s, I took advantage of a good offer on Super BGs that Hattons have at the moment. So below we have the first view of my WBQ set 15 years ago. Think I need some GUVs to pad the rake out too, then maybe some trailers for the HST.

post-13109-0-80837200-1487185208_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 8

Thanks again everyone,

So here goes, the point of no return (partial pun intended). A quick trip to The Signal Box (Anstey) got me the points I needed to model the crossover, must say it is a nice little shop, seemed to have a good amount of stock (never been before & no connection).

So firstly the rough position of the crossover was marked, and the existing rails de-soldered (hopefully the wiring can be re-used).

Then the track and cork on the Up Fast was removed.

post-13109-0-39663900-1487429193_thumb.jpg

A quick check again with the point, the rails were then trimmed slightly.

post-13109-0-94764000-1487429202_thumb.jpg

The Down Fast then followed, this was trimmed back further to allow the board joint to be relayed in one.

post-13109-0-11255600-1487429212_thumb.jpg

Then the approximate location was once again checked. Once this section goes in it will be the 3rd time it has been laid (Hopefully 3rd time lucky and all that!).

post-13109-0-63824700-1487429222_thumb.jpg

The next step will then be the final clearance of the cork. Fresh cork laid, holes drilled. Then in goes the track, simples!

Just glad I held off on the ballasting...

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 10

All trackwork is now cut to length, just need to get that cork laid now.

Please note the track is 'floating' here so the alignment is not quite right, it won't be perfectly straight when finished as the point down of it is at a slight angle.

post-13109-0-31214600-1487438199_thumb.jpg

Whenever I worry about the trackwork not being perfect, I should just watch this...

https://youtu.be/cs2NPFkR8Xw

or this 

https://youtu.be/Pt1l81QguNg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Thanks WCML100, I think I am going to go with setting the layout primarily between 2001-2004, but with the ability to model up to 2006 (then I can get away with the 350 too).

As I declined the chance to purchase one of the new 68s, I took advantage of a good offer on Super BGs that Hattons have at the moment. So below we have the first view of my WBQ set 15 years ago. Think I need some GUVs to pad the rake out too, then maybe some trailers for the HST.

attachicon.gif20170215_184650s.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

Sounds like a great plan, just cannot get my head around the above scene being 15 years ago now, starting to feel old!!

• 2 months later...

Afternoon Everyone,

Progress on WBQ has been somewhat slow since the last update, the crossover has been installed by requires cutting to allow the boards to be separated. I am now looking at DCC controllers for this layout, I am considering as an intermediate step getting a Hornby Elink, as I like the idea of computer control or phone control (Thanks to having a play on Roundhouse's Banbury & Santa Barbara). The ELink seems to be available for less than the price of a locomotive, so think it is probably worth a shot.

James, yes same here. Can't get my head around the Pendolinos now going for their 'mid-life' overhauls (or very shortly), still think of them as brand new. However I must admit I can't remember loco hauled West Coast services (Only HSTs). In an effort to help the back dating, I have managed to track down a replacement body for the WCRC 47 I have. This loco was modified to be a 'dummy' but can be re-instated if needed, the plan however is to repair the front coupling and double head with it's brother which is on order. For as smart as I feel the Freightliner green is, I can't help thinking the Triple grey was a very effective livery.

post-13109-0-27296900-1492869473_thumb.jpg

I stumbled across the image below recently, soon the whole rake should be possible in Super Detailed RTR, I just need to track down some DVTs now. 

<a15581333090_9da002a7c0_b.jpgWinter Virgin In Transition. by neilh156, on Flickr style="margin: 2px 2px 6px 6px">

https://flic.kr/p/pJSptY

Hopefully I get around to some modelling again soon...

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

WBQ Switches over with Digit-Al...

Whilst Warrington switched over to digital on November 4th 2009, the 1st May 2017 has marked the switch over for its 1/76 equivalent. After a few software hurdles to jump through yesterday (thanks to running Railmaster on Windows 10), the E-Link has been temporarily rigged up to the UP Slow & Up Loop. A quick trial of the record function had the HST running up and down 'hands-free'. Still need to work out how to program on it, and to import loco functions. 

post-13109-0-36125100-1493640432_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-44634800-1493641337_thumb.jpg

The FGW Mk3s in the background are somewhat of a long-term project to build up a full HST set, having been collected over a period of nearly 10 years now. I just need the Coach A (the TGS) and Coach E (TSO?) to complete it. Aptly this rake is now in era, however I don't believe any of these were ever borrowed by Virgin or used on railtours through the station (happy to be proven wrong though). The excuse of 'Going to Kilmarnock' springs to mind.

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 7

The excuse of 'Going to Kilmarnock' springs to mind.

That's probably the best excuse you're going to get to run them up here...there have been numerous moves throughout the years with a huge variety of traction, but I could only find this on Flickr of any with the original liveried coach(es):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mark-walker/4067641441/in/photolist-CTc1Qc-tKn8Hc-cW9enw-tTcyzg-cBHwUs-czXKbq-cAiPPS-cuCtSw-dLzyva-dLzyEn-AYfo2v-AEDBHj-cmgLWb-cmfstb-cmhcLo-cmfpsW-cmgseE-bH1fjp-rTHNfp-btAhY1-btJYWJ-bHMV6x-bxgkxT-tGfeg8-uD6iWR-aYJMhH-aYJMYP-aYJNPK-aYK2vv-sWeCLF-aXM2oD-aYDYkR-aXTPdn-aXKYvK-aXL2rr-aXKjoe-aWkCQX-z9foyH-oi9xXh-8hb2Kr-8hb3kT-8hehSW-8hehi9-7crJ5Z-8faQSt-8faRmz-8fe84h-6hJsup-dKrqZ6-dKwVuf

In the 'dynamic lines' scheme they regularly make trips in whole rakes up during a maintenance schedule, but it appears they didn't used to.

Thanks,

Jack.

• 1 month later...

Not really an update, but a welcoming of another member to the fleet.

Cheers goes to Steve at Grimy Times for taking a brand new Bachmann 47359 and replacing the Metals logo with the early Freightliner Triangles (and giving it a nice lightly weathered finish). Now carrying the number 47289, I need to get around to adding some MW sockets. It is the ideal partner to go with the 'dummy' Vi-Trains 47 370 for the intermodal workings. 

post-13109-0-93123800-1497286772_thumb.jpg

Decided to use the proper camera this time, still not much better due to poor lighting.

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Physical progress has been virtually none existent on the layout for the last few months, however currently I am trying to figure out how to arrange the fiddle yard to provide the greatest flexibility in operation. The fiddle yard will be approximately 18ft (unless I can build any points into the curved boards), and 2ft wide. I imagine I could fit maybe upto 12 tracks across. The tricky bit however is the two centre roads will be full length sidings to take large freight rakes (imagined as 19 HTAs or 36 HAAs and a Class 56/58/60/66), but because I do not wish to purchase two rakes to allow for an Up and Down set, these siding must allow a train to enter or leave the siding in either direction and cross onto the slow lines before reaching the scenic sections.

Ideally the Fast Lines should have stabling for upto 4 passenger sets 390/22X/HST (2+7 or 2+5 Challenger)/MK3 rake and potentially stabling for two medium sized freight rakes. This would then allow two sidings (albeit the shortest) for the slow lines, this would hold a mix of DMUs, Short set LHCS & freight rakes.

I think the key to optimising the fiddle yard will be allowing straightforward access between the fast and slow lines.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Platform Construction Edges Forward!

An unusually free day has seen the first visible progress on WBQ for many months. 

Regular viewers may remember I made a large amount of corbelled brick edging strips for platforms 1,2 & 3 back at the beginning of the year. It turns out the time in storage has been cruel to these and they have warped considerably since they were made. First off these were given a coat of Revell 37 (my go to red brick colour), platform 3's face was then covered with brown Humbrol 29 which was immediately scrubbed off, this gave a pretty heavily weathered finish. Once this was dry, the process was repeated with Humbrol RC401 Weathered Black. The brickwork on the platforms at Bank Quay must date back to LNWR days, so platforms 2&3 are especially filthy and almost black in colour, this is what I aimed to replicate. The photos below show it darker than it actually is, but I think it is slightly too heavy so I plan to put some more red back into it.

Whilst that was drying, attention shifted to the concrete platform sections. These sections no longer exist, having been replaced with blockwork during the 2013 (ish) rebuild. My attempt is based on the Peco effort, but shorter in height and with panel lines scribed into the wall. So far 8 panels (A panel is 1ft) have been assembled, with 4 sections painted and weathered, 2 have been installed. To finish Platform 3 only will take about 10 panels, shame I have run out of strip for the verticals. 

post-13109-0-00923000-1500141446_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-10562100-1500141476_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-04457800-1500141504_thumb.jpg

With 2 panels installed on South Mid board, edging continued south with 6ft of brickwork being added up to the end of South board. This was made considerably more difficult due to the warping mentioned above. Because of this the 'ribbon' which was approximately 8ft long was chopped into smaller sections. It may also have resulting in me getting an inadvisable amount of Super Glue on my hands, Doh!

Attention then turned to the bridge section, previously the trackwork had been laid on baulks here and some concrete edging added. After stocking up on more plastic strip and vari-girder the knife and ruler were let loose, it may not be 100% accurate but hopefully it represents what I see in the photos.

post-13109-0-92007700-1500141529_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-52849800-1500141558_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-27149700-1500141585_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-67572800-1500141622_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way to the above photos, also note the colour of the brickwork.

Glad to see some more colour on the baseboards, if only a small amount.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 7

Thanks Jeremy, much appreciated.

The station is full of little quirks, such as those mentioned previously. Another one I have spotted in a few photos can be seen in the link below, just one coping stone has been replaced with a more modern flag with the grooves cut into it (these have since been replaced with the 'Tactile Surface' stones seen on page 1). Note also how dark the brickwork has become.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/d210bob/13155425703/

The platform 2 & 3 extensions also did not feature the 125mph yellow lines, without wishing to re-read the appropriate RSSB RT I'm guessing maybe this is due to the width of the platform at these points (although they are now painted on)

Back to the model, the concrete sections have now been added to the rear of Platform 3 on South Mid board, Coping stones were then cut, scribed and painted (The white line and weathering will be done in situ). Narrower stones were also made for the rear of the platform but only the underside of these have been painted. 10 Thou plastic sheet was then stuck to the top of the trunking that makes up the platform structure, the idea being it would be easier to stick the capping stones to this, it also provides a base for the platform surface. A series of holes were drilled at a scale 55ft interval, these will be for the lighting posts which were trial fitted.

post-13109-0-39577900-1500225112_thumb.jpg

Using a vehicle to check the gauging, the coping stones were added to both edges before their top surface was masked with tape.

post-13109-0-87348600-1500225139_thumb.jpg

Why?

I was wondering how would be best to replicate the roughly laid tarmac of the prototype. I have decided to try backfilling the cap between the coping stones with non-shrink PolyFilla, a rough base layer of this has now been applied. We shall see...

post-13109-0-59565300-1500225165_thumb.jpg

The bridge sections have now been given a base layer of paint too.

post-13109-0-81783600-1500225084_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 5

Cheers Simon,

A little bit more progress on the platforms today.

Firstly the existing platform formers that had previously become broken loose have now been re-glued and in places reinforced. At the moment, I cannot add more strengtheners until I have marked out the building foundations.

Since the last update, the 'tarmac' on Platform 3 has been painted, then heavily smoothed down in places and given another coat. It probably needs another light coat before it can be weathered.

post-13109-0-47726500-1500582339_thumb.jpg

A start has now been made on preparing Platform 4 for the same treatment, with the formers added along with the Plasticard subsurface. I've once again run out of Superglue which has prevented me from covering the whole northern end. This platform now needs its ramp forming too. I anticipate getting the northern ends of all the platforms to roughly the same state before progressing south. The major job then is to work out the sizes and locations of all the main platform structures, canopy supports and masts so provision for fixing these can be set into the platforms.

post-13109-0-65452400-1500582366_thumb.jpg

Finally, I finally managed to track down a pair of Virgin Trains DVTs, surprisingly these were still shop stock examples so brand new and not at the silly prices you see these going for second hand. Speaking to one of the Hornby Reps at the GCR show last month, it sounds as if a similar example may well feature in next year's catalogue. Should look good with those forthcoming Oxford Mk3s.

post-13109-0-70219500-1500582393_thumb.jpg

Happy Modelling,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 6

Cheers David, 

Yes the certainly are, smart looking vehicles too.

Well Saturday saw a research and supply trip occur.

A few hours spent on the platforms at Bank Quay allowed me to grab some more photos of the catenary and a few other bits and pieces. I have also managed to roughly work out where the first building on Platform 2 starts by finding its position relative to the North Dock. As it would happen, this is pretty much on the board joint between South Mid and South boards. That's very fortunate (although the canopy does continue onto the next board).

This trip also gave me the opportunity to see my first Class 88, an impressive loco from what I could see (It wasn't hanging around by any means).

post-13109-0-55604900-1500841747_thumb.jpg

Good to see some Skodas still earning their keep too.

post-13109-0-73261900-1500841781_thumb.jpg

Also moving as its name suggests was 68004 'Rapid' on a railtour, I must say I am a fan of the 68's they sound purposeful.

post-13109-0-32598400-1500841818_thumb.jpg

Then it was a quick trip across to a well known Liverpudlian Widnesian model shop to restock on plastic strip, this has since been put to good use with another 7 lengths of concrete edging assembled but requiring painting. Hopefully only another 2 strips or so to do!

Photos to follow when painted and installed.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 6