Warrington Bank Quay - The Northern Approach - OO DCC

Wild Boar Fell

One final update for this weekend,

Today saw a little more progress with the platform edging cut and installed on Platform 4 and dock. The strips added yesterday have also now been painted.

Further strips of the stones have been cut and undercoated to for most of platforms 1, 2 & 3. A few more narrower strips are still required to finish Platform 4.

One area I wan't to sort next is the trunking with an eye to starting the main ballasting in the new year.

I have been toying with the idea of adding the abandoned siding back in at the rear of the layout to break up the 'greyness' of the middle of the layout (this would be heavily overgrown). This would mean a greater compression of the backscene however. Any opinions, as it is quite noticeable in the link in my previous post?

post-13109-0-76679200-1511736245_thumb.jpg

Happy Modelling,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 9

Bank Quay - Now in Colour

Earlier this week saw the boards prepared with an undercoat of grey paint over most of the scenic areas (and a bit of the platforms), this was in readiness for attempting ballasting.

Only a small amount of ballast was purchased as a test, and this was quickly exhausted. My estimation is that it'll take 2-3kg worth to complete the layout.

The first section to be attempted was part of the Down Fast, this was mixed with fine brown powder to give it a light pre-weathering to simulate ballast that isn't fresh, but isn't due for replacement either.

A much darker/ dirtier mix was then made and tested on the siding, a similar if slightly lighter mix was then added to the Dock. Once glued, these will be treated to a spray of frame dirt.

The idea is to have variety in the condition of the ballast around the layout, with the Up Fast being recently relayed (and therefore pretty much clean). The loops will be heavily weather as per the prototype. Hopefully this will help play a part in overcoming having too much grey. It'll hopefully give a more run-down look to the station which is what I'm aiming for.

The brown scatter along with various grasses was then added to the area ahead of Platforms 1 & 2, and more scatter added to the roadside near the bridge. Still needs a lot of work before I glue it down, but it is good to finally see something that isn't grey on the layout.

A few photos from today. (Edit, apologies about the rotated images)

post-13109-0-23145000-1512316685_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-30928000-1512316766_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-12453900-1512316869_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-90854100-1512316956_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-27607400-1512317013_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

After restocking with another 500g of ballast and some more brown scatter, the ballasting and scenic work has continued. Again it didn't take long to use up this fresh supply of ballast.

Excluding the point work (which will be in fresh ballast), the Down Fast has been ballasted from the Liverpool Road bridge all the way to the Low Level Line. The next bit to be attempted was the W of lines forming the crossovers between the Up Lines, before finishing up with the siding. A start has been made of filling between these lines, although at some point I want to try some static grass on this section.

post-13109-0-27569600-1513099000_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-11473100-1513099040_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-70410400-1513098809_thumb.jpg

Most likely that'll be it progress wise before the New Year.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 11

So I discovered I still had a little ballast left, so this was mainly added to the siding heading towards the car park.

Then I decided to have a go at taking some photos with stock added, using the proper camera. I still need to work out how to get the 'depth of field' shots.

Was pretty chuffed with a few of them anyway... (Hopefully all the right way up this time)

post-13109-0-22343100-1513462787_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-63000900-1513462854_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-80406300-1513462901_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-74594700-1513462965_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-71786800-1513463039_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-02188900-1513463154_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Work starts on Coal Rake 2 (the MGRs).

A lucky find in my local model shop's second hand box was a pair of Hornby's super detailed CDA China Clay wagons, these were mixed in with a few of the older tooling CDAs for the same price. £18 later I set about converting the into HAAs. First to go was the 'hoods' and the vents on the hopper ends, the holes for these have been plugged with Milliput and will be sanded when dry. 

post-13109-0-73186500-1518295291_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-44764300-1518295345_thumb.jpg

The hopper, frame and chassis were then separated to allow the ECC branding to be removed and the blue frames to be repainted EWS red. The blue guards, links and handles on the chassis were also repainted. Once the work on the hopper body is finished, this will be treated to a repaint and new decals. It also looks like their is some equipment (possibly an air pump) that needs removing from the headstocks at one end.

A nice little project for a rainy Saturday. Now I just need to find another 34 going cheap!

post-13109-0-24890900-1518295118_thumb.jpg

Note, these aren't fully re-assembled yet.

The other rake coming together is the 1st LHCS set, with Oxford's new Mk3s representing the TSOs and FOs I'm just awaiting the release of a Swallow liveried RFM to complete the set. For now the DVT will be in Virgin Red. Hopefully the matching Bachmann 47 (Totnes Castle) is not too far away.

post-13109-0-81688200-1518295219_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 15

Thanks for the kind comments,

With the filler near enough set, the hoppers were tidied up an re-assembled to await their turn in the 'paint shop'. I thought it only right to pose them with some suitable traction.

post-13109-0-76339400-1518372582_thumb.jpg

Next up it was time for something a little more ambitious, I have mentioned on here previously that I want to add a bit of variation into the HSTs for the Challenger sets. One way to do this is to represent a buffer fitted former HST DVT used during the introduction of the 91s. With my NMT power cars now sat around idle (they represent MTU fitted vehicles), 43013 became the unlucky candidate to donate its chassis. One of the Virgin power cars was selected (one bought for a favourable price from Simon Bendall at DEMU last year), its chassis and cab interior lighting unit was then removed. The two radiator fan units were swapped between the chassis (keeping the single fan with the Valenta). 

post-13109-0-95321800-1518373377_thumb.jpg

Then the nervous bit! Using the NMT as a guide, the nose of the HST was marked up to show where to cut before setting to work with a razor saw and files until a matching profile was achieved. A little bit of fettling eventually allowed the body to sit flush on the chassis. The power car was then re-assembled.

Eventually this power car will become 43080, also the rear of the buffer beam will be painted red to match the photos and the detailing parts fitted.

post-13109-0-66430900-1518373562_thumb.jpg

For anyone considering using the Hornby model as a donor, just be carefully to study photos of the chosen power car first. There are at least two different arrangements of cowling cut-away, and as far as I can see 43013 & 43014 as depicted by Hornby are incorrect (the model portraying the style of 43080).

The real thing...

https://flic.kr/p/9j4rSx

Finally a shot of it leading an Up Challenger service into WBQ

post-13109-0-06619600-1518373467_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 18

Seems like I am in a rolling stock mood at the moment, so a few more projects have made it onto the workbench.

First off a fairly simple modification but a good practise of skills, which will then require a repaint.

Picked up at a local model shop for £15 was a Airfix GMR, Mk2 FO, these being the ones featuring the smaller almost Bachmann like couplings.

The original intention was to modify this to become one of the Mk2 RFOs utilised in Virgin's Mk2 rakes. This still remains an option, but it is more likely I'll wait for the Oxford Mk3 RFM which was also utilised.

The second option is to model one of the Mk2 RFBs or RLOs that form part of the Caledonian Sleeper pool of 'day coaches'. I suspect the RLO option will be the most likely destination for this coach ahead of a 2nd RLO and a pair of BUOs to complete the Mk2s needed for the rake. Hopefully by that point some new Mk3 Sleepers may have been announced.

Either way, the conversion started the same way, the 3 most left hand window frames on the toilet side of the FO were removed and brought flush with the bodyside (note, some vehicles retain these window frames, Doh!). Plasticard blanks were then fashioned and trial fitted in place over the windows. Once adjusted to fit, these were then cemented to the glazing (note, in future remove the remaining glazing first). Once dry these were sanded as flush as possible.

post-13109-0-24649100-1518990645_thumb.jpg

A healthy amount of filler was then added over the windows and left to set.

post-13109-0-16439700-1518990695_thumb.jpg

Once left to harden overnight, the filler was sanded back flush with the bodyside. 

post-13109-0-34914100-1518990753_thumb.jpg

The coach has now been set aside for a first pass of primer (should I order the purple paint just yet?). 

Something a bit riskier now, Super-Detailing a Skoda.

Another class I don't really know much about, my only memories of these machines on passenger workings are those for AGA, being lucky enough to see a few of these on Mk3s close up at Norwich Crown Point. The model is the latest Hornby Railroad release of 90135 in Intercity Mainline livery. The first thing you notice with the model is how awful the pantograph is, it must go!

post-13109-0-50068700-1518990875_thumb.jpg

First off, a photo of the loco as bought.

With the 90s losing the Intercity Mainline livery prior to my modelling era, the plan is to alter it into a Swallow liveried example (making it 90001-15 in the process). I have been following a couple of conversion project on the 90s elsewhere on RMWeb so cannot take credit for the ideas utilised here. First off was the drilling out of the holes in the roof grilles, which took a rather long time but I believe makes a vast improvement.

post-13109-0-54184900-1518990961_thumb.jpg

The roof was also stripped of parts, the live pantograph switch removed and hole filled. The backs of the triangular vents(?) was also added. More detailing in the area is still to be added, along with the missing fairings at the rear of the cab roof.

The next job was to remove the moulded air dam from the leading bogie (the trailing bogie will follow at a later stage), the moulded NEM pocket housing was then filed flush with the dam. Strips of 2mm square styrene were then fitted to the top of the dam, sculpted and then fixed to the chassis. Lashings of filler then followed.

post-13109-0-57767100-1518991013_thumb.jpg

Going back to the bodyshell, the RCH/TDM jumpers were removed from their stowed position within the nose, ready to be added to the bufferbeam. The lower yellow panel was then repainted with several coats of yellow.

post-13109-0-72881100-1518991077_thumb.jpg

I'm considering options of how best to represent the light clusters without resorting to etches, tempted to try the Express Models' WIPACs (from the Class 60s).

post-13109-0-32633900-1518991236_thumb.jpg

With the filler now set, the air dam was cleaned up and sanded down to achieve roughly the right profile, some minor tweaking is still required before I add the lower edge strip. A representation of the buffing plates will also then be added along with a drop head tightlock coupling and the various air pipes and jumpers. I have retained the ability to fit a coupling on this end, as the NEM pocket is still fully operational.

post-13109-0-46520000-1518991135_thumb.jpg

The pantograph has now been modified by removing the arms and a few other details (ok and breaking off one of the insulators), the plan is to attempt to mate the base of the metal pan, with the plastic arms off the Pendolino (with the wings removed), as the Pendolino base is too narrow for the 90. However if someone has one of the Plastic Class 92 pans going spare please get in touch :) .

post-13109-0-16522500-1518991323_thumb.jpg

I have now treated the roof to a coat of Executive Grey, which highlights just how light the shade Hornby has used is. I didn't want to do a total repaint, but now I am not so sure, below shows the progress to date. Still a long way to go, but please compare with the earlier image.

post-13109-0-84127200-1518991424_thumb.jpg

Happy Modelling,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing Blue Pt.1

What is this, it appears that some BR Blue/Grey stock has appeared on WBQ?

Fear not, this not another shift of time period (wallet breathes a sigh of relief), it is actually the next conversion project.

In the gap since my last update, several rolling stock projects have continued. Updates will be posted about these when they reach significant levels of progress. However I have decided to start yet another. To go with the inprogress RLO conversion I am beginning to make 2 BUOs for the Caledonian Sleeper rake. Fortunately on the old RMWeb there are some useful guides to converting the Airfix Mk2d into these. I will be starting with the vehicles shown below which are the newer Hornby Railroad Mk2e's. Eventually the two TSOs will become the BUOs with the BSO becoming a parts doner (a second may be required for vehicle 2).

post-13109-0-59673600-1521156432_thumb.jpg

The first task was to remove the chassis, accomplished by unclipping the 3 locating lugs on either side. Next up was to remove the glazing from both the 'Victim' and the 'Donor', I achieved this by carefully sliding a flat bladed screwdriver between the glazing and the body to snap the glue. 

Having never really attempted such a cut and shut (TPO vehicles aside), I decided to start with what seemed like the easiest task. This was replacing the 1st window on the chosen side with a half size window. I didn't fancy trying to fit etched window frames so utilised the BSO, selecting a half window on the 'Donor'. An area just longer than one full window was removed including the half window, to the depth of the grey panel. This was then set aside whilst attention turned to the 'victim'.

The existing full window was opened up with a variety of files to produce a near rectangular opening that spanned from top white lining to halfway between the bottom of the window and the lower white lining. A piece of plastic sheet was then fitted behind the window opening to support the new section. The window panel removed from the BSO was then trimmed to fit and adjusted until the window frames were aligned with the existing windows on the TSO, before being glued in place. Once hardened, the joints were given a helping of filler.

post-13109-0-07551100-1521157309_thumb.jpg

Next up two cuts were made, one either side of the Guard's door on the BSO all the way upto the gutter. This section was then released by a further cut along the roofline. Using the measurements suggested by 'BackWaterScotland' in his now 10 year old post, the position of the new door was determined and a corresponding section of TSO bodywork was removed. The new door section was trimmed to fit square and attached using a few sections of plastic sheet and some of the existing glazing (to follow the profile of the Tumbledown). Once again the joints were coated in filler and left to set.

post-13109-0-26211100-1521157328_thumb.jpg

Several windows need to be blanked on this side, so each window was opened up to have squared off corners before a thin sheet of plastic was stuck behind them. Some 40 thou plastic was them made into window blanks (left over from the platform edging) and cemented into the gaps. This side has now been left to set before it is tidied up. Then attention will turn to the otherside, which should hopefully follow a similar process. Looking forward to seeing this one in primer.  

post-13109-0-89168800-1521156488_thumb.jpg

Happy Modelling,

Wild Boar Fell

(Hoping the above makes some kind of sense)

• Like 10

You need to make one of these pans for the 90!

I actually still have this, I made it from scratch about 7 years ago and it still functions!

attachicon.gif4mm 90.jpg

Now that really does look superb, don't think mine will be anywhere close tbh. I have managed to track down a Pendolino pantograph to use as the basis for mine. May I ask who produced the etched Swallow please?

Wild Boar Fell

It was a labour of love that pan. I was more than pleased with it though, it ran on Outon Road for about two years and coped with scale speeds on the wire without issue.

I think I got them from ebay but not sure who made them now. Was either Shawplan or Jackson Evans I think.

Thanks RBE I'll have to keep a lookout for some then.

I have managed to get a bit more done with the 1st BUO build, the 4 window side pictured previously has had many layers of primer and repeated sanding and filling. I reckon that side is nearly ready for the base coat of paint (Caley Sleeper Grey). The 5 window side has now had all the cutting and shutting done, this has just received its first coat of primer (just as it ran out). This needs a fair bit of work around the new 1/2 window area but the rest does not appear to need much work. I do need to work out when the BIL (otherwise know as CDL lights) should be fitted (pre or post painting).

4-Window Side

post-13109-0-72069000-1521667935_thumb.jpg

5-Window Side

post-13109-0-87460800-1521667924_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the Mobile Phone pictures this time.

All the hacking around with Mk2s has got me wanting to have a crack at a DBSO to go with some of my present day stock. Ok won't fit in with WBQ but as I am in a rolling stock mood, why not?

post-13109-0-48838300-1521668080_thumb.jpg

Happy Modelling,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 6

Great work on the BUO...are you planning on a 16 coach train?

All the hacking around with Mk2s has got me wanting to have a crack at a DBSO to go with some of my present day stock. Ok won't fit in with WBQ but as I am in a rolling stock mood, why not?

I’ve seen a DBSO and MK2 set with a 37 propelling running through Euxton headed to Crewe before now, so it will fit in if you need an excuse! :yes:

Thanks,

Jack.

The DBSOs do shuttle to Crewe for Anglia or tyre turning etc. Full Cumbrian coast sets and 37s have gone before too as seen here.

I also recorded 66301 dragging 37401 and a full Cumbrian set through Warrington, the photo is somewhere on my hard drive. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacktsrailpics/25632129864/in/photolist-F42ncw-qYDyyt-NKVWzk

So there’s at least 3 moves...you’ve got plenty of excuses now WBF! ;)

Thanks,

Jack.

Thanks Jack & Tom,

Well it looks like I'll have to give it a try then. Fortunately been sent some guidance from the excellent Strathpeffer Junction on Youtube.

And yes ultimately the plan is for the 16 vehicle Caley Sleeper, although just 4 day vehicles for now (Mk3 SLEPs please Oxford!).

Wild Boar Fell

Southern Pride on the Northern Approach

Regular readers may remember that back in October (yes it really was that long ago), I started the conversion of two Hatchette Mk1s into a POS and POT for my proposed TPO rake. Well these have not been forgotten and have been progressing quietly in the background (creating a lot of filler dust in the process), the bodysides are nearly in a position to have the finer details added, along with the windows and doors which I hope to cut on the cameo. Roof vent mods are required on both as well as upgrading the underframe and a bogie swap to B5s (more likely modified B4s). Apologies but a phone pic will have to suffice for now.

post-13109-0-95764100-1522535651_thumb.jpg

Along with these I have been building a pair of Southern Pride POS vehicles for the same rake, having made a fair bit of progress on them now I must admit they are not as difficult as I had expected and are very well designed. I must also say they have been an enjoyable build and I am so far pleased with how they look. I am not totally sold on the Vinyl overlays so will paint and transfer these as per the Hatchette vehicles which should permit a consistent finish. Again this means I will have to make my own doors and window surrounds (I will paint black behind the small windows). I now feel I need to purchase a few more Southern Pride kits to make some more POTs, along with some Bachmann B4 bogies to go under them.

post-13109-0-02607500-1522535670_thumb.jpg

Sadly only the 90 in the background is from my own fleet.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 7

Thought I would attached some better quality photos of the TPO Sorters, the left hand vehicle being the Ex-Hachette Mk1. The 3 Sorters (POS) have now had their homemade window surrounds, doors and grilles fitted after being manufactured on the Silhouette Plotter. Hopefully these aren't too far away from their top-coat of Royal Mail/ RES Red.

post-13109-0-79436900-1522707023_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-23500600-1522707039_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-79578100-1522707050_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 8