Warrington Bank Quay - The Northern Approach - OO DCC

Wild Boar Fell

.....One thing I have recently realised is that I am lacking on stock for the local workings. I don't currently own any of the Northern Fleet, nor any Arriva units. Where as for freight the most obvious gap to me is not owning any 325s. If anyone knows of any Northern or Arriva units going cheap, I would be most grateful.

Now to get back to layout building...

Wild Boar Fell

As your timescale is 2011 onwards, you could get away with using unbranded Centro 150's, as Northern put the sets they gained to work straight away - assuming Centro units are cheaper / more available than Northern ones!

As your timescale is 2011 onwards, you could get away with using unbranded Centro 150's, as Northern put the sets they gained to work straight away - assuming Centro units are cheaper / more available than Northern ones!

Excellent, I hadn't thought of that!

Yes they are a clear margin cheaper.

Also I don't suppose anyone has a photo of a Northern 153 at Bank Quay, assume one must have been in with a 156 or 150 at some point, but can I find proof.....not yet.

Cheers,

Wild Boar Fell

No problems WBF.

Yes 60 019 has been on the Fiddlers Ferry trains. Here's my picture of it at Winwick, heading for Arpley.

9397527199_a2bf485041.jpg60 019.

Being local I may have captured other pictures of your intended fleet. However as steam is really my interest I don't do a lot of modern image photography.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks again Mick & Ian always good to see some photos of the prototypes. 

Now as a rare treat, I have actually got some photos of physical progress! Indeed tonight has seen me start to fit the platform edging. This has so far been platform 1, using satellite photos for guidance and a MK3 test coach for checking the clearances (unfortunately not part of the NMT). The edging is made from cable trunking and fixes down with tacky PVA. Some of the cork had to be removed to allow this to be fitted as it appear the P-Way team had been to the Pattern Arms before laying the trackbed. The plan of attack from here on is still to be decided, mainly because I need to work out how best to represent the trackwork over the bridge section. A trip to Maplin is also in order to allow progress with the wiring to recommence.

post-13109-0-74265200-1473109241_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-84731500-1473109247_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 4

Thanks again folks,

Some more work done this evening.

Firstly the platform 4 wall was added. This takes one entire length of the trunking (except a short gap at the South end which will be added later). Again a MK3 was used to check the clearances. Other parts of the platforms were also marked out for fitting once the Fast Lines have been replaced.

post-13109-0-33506300-1473198266_thumb.jpg

Today's second project was to tie down the alignment of the Fast Lines. The first job was to mark the centreline of the Up Fast from the point on North board. This is shown with the push pins and the right hand rail is marked.

post-13109-0-03913300-1473198273_thumb.jpg

Aerial photos suggest that by part way along the platforms, the Down Fast should now be inline with the Up Fast point. To me this seems a bit too severe, but I have marked it out below. To the eye it doesn't look as sharp (as per the real thing), but to the camera both the model and the real thing look sharper. 

post-13109-0-34248800-1473198279_thumb.jpg

The original alignment of the cork can just be made out.

Not being totally happy with this, especially as it seemed to decrease the size of Platform 1 & 2 too much. I decided to try a halfway house of inside rail Up RH) to inside rail (Down LH), which looks more acceptable to me, as per below.

post-13109-0-63785200-1473198284_thumb.jpg

The prototype from a similar angle for comparison.

post-13109-0-68419200-1473198832_thumb.jpg

Not entirely set on it yet. It does show just how far my original alignment was out by though.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

Thanks WCML100, plan is maybe a bit too strong a word :paint: , stumble in the general direction is probably more accurate.

Tonight has seen further progress with the platforms with Platform 2's wall now in place and about 75% of Platform 3 in too. This could only be done after I decided on the final location of the Fast Lines. In the end, I have opted for a near straight alignment to allow both platforms to be virtually the same width (as per the prototype). Whilst I am not 100% happy with it, it's probably the best I can get given the current level of progress around it. Putting the walls in will make lining up the tracks a lot simpler too. 

post-13109-0-02860200-1473277590_thumb.jpg

Walls in! Platform 2 cuts back in towards Platform 1 at the end closest to the camera, originally there would have been a signal box and headshunt located in the 'cutout'. Now it is just cess and general railway debris. Platform 3 runs a lot further to the north. The eagle eyed viewer may have spotted how narrow I have made platform 3 next to the North Bay, whilst this may appear an error (ok it may be slightly too narrow), but the real platform is very narrow at this point. Two different sources of info lead me to believe it is only 6.5-7ft wide at this point. 

post-13109-0-03348500-1473278224_thumb.jpg

Beyond the catch point the platform widens, but again it is still very narrow.

The shot below is included as I rarely show the layout looking from this end, you can see just how far out the cork was for several of the lines (Oops).

post-13109-0-06528900-1473277580_thumb.jpg

Finally the white plastic strip in the shot below shows roughly the new alignment of the Down Fast, note how it is now virtually straight.

post-13109-0-33104400-1473277584_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the pace will pick up again once those troublesome fast lines are in place.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 4

Edging Closer.

Tonight has seen work progress on the North end of Platforms 1 & 3. The cutout at the end of Platform 1 has now been completed along with an end cap fitted. This now means that the outside of Platforms 1 & 2  are ready for cladding, although the internal supports for the top surface will have to wait. The location of the supports will have to be carefully planned to avoid the catenary, signalling & foundations for the canopy and buildings.

post-13109-0-36460900-1473366689_thumb.jpg

The remaining 95 cm of Platform 3 has also been added, to allow this to line up with the previously fitted section, the lid of the trunking was refitted. However it was offset by 95 cm to allow the new section to be slid onto it. This was then checked and glued before pins were added to hold the position & shape (The trunking is not 100% straight as supplied). Further sections of the lid along with supports blocks will be used to finish off the gap between Platforms 3 & 4 before cladding can commence.

It always surprises me just how long the platforms are despite not being modelled in full, as can be seen below. Platform 3 is near enough 10ft which means it will happily accept my pair of Super Voyager. The Pendolino however is another story...

post-13109-0-67948200-1473366697_thumb.jpg

In other news it can be seen that the 60's are slowly taking over WBQ, I must remember to go and collect my 60007 to give another livery.

Happy Modelling,

Wild Boar Fell

post-13109-0-71400000-1473365727_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-36194400-1473365737_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 6

Edging Closer - 2

It's certainly getting there, the insides of the walling between Platforms 3 & 4 have now been added. As a result only the thicker section at the North end of No3 needs adding, but this will have to wait until the glue has dried. The idea of using the trunking for the platform structure is to reduce weight as it is light and hollow. The boards are big and heavy so any weight saving is advantageous. It also means that the centre of the platforms is free for cable routing if required or other electrical gubbins. It certainly seems to big a space to waste, I just need to work out what is best to go in there.

post-13109-0-34092200-1473441101_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 6

Looking good!

The opportunity was taken to put some appropriate stock on the layout. First up was the new rake (or should that be half rake) of HTA's behind 60074, Teenage Spirit has indeed turned up on the Fiddler's Ferry workings in this livery (albeit with the nose end DB stickers). Thanks goes to RS4 of this forum for this rake, however I am already thinking it looks a bit short. This may have to be gradually upgraded to 19.

You'll have to push it up to 23 with a buffered one one each end for a full rake! I remember having the buffered sets moved over from Scunthorpe when it was first trialed to remove HAA's, started with 21 sets and soon pushed up to 23's, even got 23's on the LBT-Ratliffe's. 66 would only lift 21 out of LBT (19 in the rain), 59 would take 23 (think it was only 21 in the rain) & if it was a Ratcliffe it would only take 22 due to the route via Uttoxeter. Such a shame so many of these coal trains no longer run. Overall the 60's moved more coal on that circuit with less trains than anything else.

Al.

• Like 1

Looking good!

You'll have to push it up to 23 with a buffered one one each end for a full rake! I remember having the buffered sets moved over from Scunthorpe when it was first trialed to remove HAA's, started with 21 sets and soon pushed up to 23's, even got 23's on the LBT-Ratliffe's. 66 would only lift 21 out of LBT (19 in the rain), 59 would take 23 (think it was only 21 in the rain) & if it was a Ratcliffe it would only take 22 due to the route via Uttoxeter. Such a shame so many of these coal trains no longer run. Overall the 60's moved more coal on that circuit with less trains than anything else.

Al.

Thanks Al,

I fear that may be getting a bit expensive, also at that size I think I'd have to extend the layout. 20 with a Loco just fits in the scenic section. Interesting to hear the differences in performance between the loco classes, I have seen photos of the 59s being trialled on the Fiddlers run about 4-5 years ago (will wait for the Dapol model I think). 

Despite having seen Ratcliffe most days for the last 3 years, I must admit, I have never seen a coal train going there. Then again there is a very large stockpile which can be seen if you go past it on Remembrance Way. Indeed it is a shame, it was always good to see a full rake with a 60 or 70 rumble through WBQ then pass underneath the station. Hopefully the model will pay a small tribute to this...

On the progress front, the cork underlay has now been fitted for the Fast Lines, and the track is being prepared ready to be laid. This will probably stop just short of the bridge section for now. Probably photos to follow at some point.

Wild Boar Fell

So as promised here is a photo showing the further trackwork and cork laid since yesterday's update. That is 6 more panels of the concrete sleepered track in, so essentially it is just South Board that needs track. Then wiring can begin in earnest using North Board as the template. 

post-13109-0-73640300-1473541704_thumb.jpg

Something a little different, but still track laying. In order to complete the remaining trackwork I need to represent the Baulks where the lines run over the bridge section. My plan to tackle this is to glue sections of rail to square plastic section with a fishplate at each end. Once dry, a further section is added to the inside to represent the full width of the timber. This section can then be dropped into place between to plain sections of track, allow the full detailing to be completed at a later stage.

post-13109-0-42253900-1473541712_thumb.jpg

Looks like two sections of I beam and some Wills Splice plate should tackle most of it, with further plastic section to replicate the diagonal concrete sections. Then wooden and concrete sleepers added where necessary.

post-13109-0-26356200-1473541725_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-41687900-1473541717_thumb.jpg

Similar will then have to be done with steel sleepered track for the Up Slow & Up Loop.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

So as promised here is a photo showing the further trackwork and cork laid since yesterday's update. That is 6 more panels of the concrete sleepered track in, so essentially it is just South Board that needs track. Then wiring can begin in earnest using North Board as the template. 

attachicon.gif20160910_211218s.jpg

Something a little different, but still track laying. In order to complete the remaining trackwork I need to represent the Baulks where the lines run over the bridge section. My plan to tackle this is to glue sections of rail to square plastic section with a fishplate at each end. Once dry, a further section is added to the inside to represent the full width of the timber. This section can then be dropped into place between to plain sections of track, allow the full detailing to be completed at a later stage.

attachicon.gif20160910_212238s.jpg

Looks like two sections of I beam and some Wills Splice plate should tackle most of it, with further plastic section to replicate the diagonal concrete sections. Then wooden and concrete sleepers added where necessary.

attachicon.gifDSC01057s.jpg

attachicon.gif20160910_214805s.jpg

Similar will then have to be done with steel sleepered track for the Up Slow & Up Loop.

Wild Boar Fell

I wonder if  you could've used Peco inspection pits to maintain the rail fixings and gauge, then filled the pits in with a cosmetic cover?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Celebratory photo now that the fast lines are now secured in place (nearly two months after they were mostly ripped up).

71000 Duke of Gloucester powers south leading a mixed charter set, with 47787 provided for insurance on the tail. A MPV waits in the North Bay.

post-13109-0-19775600-1473616337_thumb.jpg

I have only once (that I know) seen the Duke in steam, again leading a charter a couple of miles north of WBQ at Winwick Junction. I remember it sounding completely different to any other kettle I have come across. 

I couldn't find a photo of it, so heres one of my favourites from the same location...

post-13109-0-74616900-1473616603_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

I live in Newton-le-Willows so Warrington Bank Quay is very familiar!! Fantastic subject for a layout!!

Are you going to have electrics double-heading steel coil trains for swapping to diesel haulage over to Shotton or will that be too early for your timeframe?