AEC Regal Railcar Demonstrator.

81E

I recall once seeing in Maurice Early's book "Truly the Great Western" a photograph of an AEC Regal bus fitted with railway wheels.

Can anyone shed some light on this vehicle as I am hoping to modify an efe model bus to represent it.

Ideally I would like to see more photos but more importantly I need to know the colour scheme. I'm guessing it would be some kind of AEC standard as it has Regal on the side as opposed to a bus operators logo.

Also can someone tell me how to dismantle the efe regal bus without doing too much damage.

• RMweb Premium

Is it this one you mean ?

http://www.britishcommercialvehiclemuseum.com/image-archives/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/AEL01358a-300x267.jpg

Full versions available from British Commercial Vehicle Museum http://www.britishcommercialvehiclemuseum.com/image-archives/product-category/rail/

Never actually dismantled an EFE bus (yet) but looking at some of mine they seem to have 3 rivets in the base reaching to the roof, so I would suggest drilling those out to start with.

HTH

Moxy

• RMweb Premium

There were actually three Karrier road railers, the LMS bus, the lorry mentioned above which went to the LNER and was used for track work in Scotland and was not withdrawn until c. 1960. If it had survived a few more years it perhaps could have been preserved. The third was a bus similar to the LMS one except that it had normal control and left hand drive and went to Holland. The failure of the Karrier system was its complexity with its eccentrics to change the wheels from road to rail when retractable rail wheels were just coming in to use.

Thanks everyone, The one Moxy posted the link about is close though a seemingly Darker colour scheme. In addition the front wheels were not covered. If this is an Irish one as suggested ion the caption then the extra width in gauge might be a reason for the difference.

I've located the book that had the photo and my feeling is that the roof might be white (or light cream) with a red band below the windows and bale blue below that. However this is pure conjecture influenced by the knowledge that AEC's logo was red white and blue below, what do people think?

photo.php?fbid=1143611505678438&set=a.54

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone, The one Moxy posted the link about is close though a seemingly Darker colour scheme. In addition the front wheels were not covered. If this is an Irish one as suggested ion the caption then the extra width in gauge might be a reason for the difference.

I've located the book that had the photo and my feeling is that the roof might be white (or light cream) with a red band below the windows and bale blue below that. However this is pure conjecture influenced by the knowledge that AEC's logo was red white and blue below, what do people think?

photo.php?fbid=1143611505678438&set=a.54

The vehicle in question did not last very long as a rail vehicle before it was converted back to a road vehicle. The best people to contact and who might have information on this vehicle would be the AEC society.

Archived