Farish Southern PL/CCT Vans

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

Hatton's have advised me that they're on the way to me. Best to snap up your favourites before they sell out--I note the BR green Van B doesn't feature in the 2016/7 Farish catalogue--an early casualty.

• RMweb Premium

Hatton's have advised me that they're on the way to me. Best to snap up your favourites before they sell out--I note the BR green Van B doesn't feature in the 2016/7 Farish catalogue--an early casualty.

They've arrived and I have to admire the subtle differences between the 3 colours that Bachmann have incorporated in the tooling. They're easy to fit with long Dapol buckeyes if that's your choice for a neater coupler than the rapido.

• RMweb Premium

Fitted the vacuum brake hoses to the crimson and green versions today--good that the body holes are the right size. Just gently dipped the pips in Araldite and plugged 'em in. Gave up with the coupling hooks though--does anyone have any tips for fitting these?

• RMweb Premium

The blue one is cat number 374-417.  I have two of them sitting on my workbench, nice models but far far too clean so a suitable layer of grime will be applied before they go into service.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Crepello

Do you know what the catalogue/item numbers are for these vans please.

regds

chris newman

The crimson one is 374-415 and the green one 374-416.

Hi Crepello

Sorry about this but these southern vans give me a "headache", this is the 4 wheel BY van, not the Bogie B?? 

And the green one is this Southern Green or BR(S) Green (as this is the Colour I want)

(last Question--honest) Do Dapol do Any Variants of these and do you Know Catalogue/Item numbers please??

Regds

Chris Newman

Hi Crepello

Sorry about this but these southern vans give me a "headache", this is the 4 wheel BY van, not the Bogie B?? 

And the green one is this Southern Green or BR(S) Green (as this is the Colour I want)

(last Question--honest) Do Dapol do Any Variants of these and do you Know Catalogue/Item numbers please??

Regds

Chris Newman

Not the BY, but the CCT; Dapol do several variants of livery:-

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=177_59_160_199

Farish seem to do both CCT and PMV versions, but a BY is conspicuous by its absence in both ranges.

Hi "Fat Controller"

Thanks for the link--all the information there I already have on my list, but are The CCT Vans the BR Version of SR 4 wheel BY Vans??

Regds

Chris

Thanks for the link--all the information there I already have on my list, but are The CCT Vans the BR Version of SR 4 wheel BY Vans??

I believe that they were not. CCTs were covered trucks with doors at the end and were often used for transporting motor vehicles before the advent of car carriers (plenty of other uses too).

Despite a superficial resemblance, the BYs were quite different and were actually guards vans and were frequently used in passenger trains for both the guard and extra luggage capacity.

Dapol produce both the BY and the CCT. The BY is also sometimes reffered to as a Van C (not to be confused with a CCT).

Farish produce the Van B. This is also a Guard's vehicle and is used in the same way as a larger bogie-fitted version of the Van-C.

I am more of a GWR fan than an SR one so if I have misunderstood Mr Maunsell's output then feel free to correct me.

Hi Karhedron

something you said about transporting cars made me check my BachFar stock list and it shows 374-134 as blue with "Motorail" titles--that said tho'  I'm not saying you're wrong--I just don't know any different!!  I'll check a couple of other sources, get back to you later--(keep watching this space!!!)

Regds

Chris

Hi Karhedron

Nothing extra to what I said earlier about "Motorail".  However over on the SRLHCS group I got answer to a question which says that Bogie Van was Known as "Van B" and that's quoting from "Gould" ---Back with more info later after I've asked more about 4 wheel "Van C" & any link to CCT.

Chris

Hi Karhedron

Nothing extra to what I said earlier about "Motorail".  However over on the SRLHCS group I got answer to a question which says that Bogie Van was Known as "Van B" and that's quoting from "Gould" ---Back with more info later after I've asked more about 4 wheel "Van C" & any link to CCT.

Chris

The bogie brake van was a Van B; its 4-wheel equivalent was the Van C. Neither could carry cars; there were no end doors, and there were a pair of partitions in the middle, with the guard's accommodation between them. The Passenger Luggage Van (Parcels and Miscellaneous Van under BR) had only side doors, whilst the Covered Carriage Truck had end and side doors, and so could transport motor cars. I can't think I've ever seen one branded for 'Motorail'; by the time this branding had appeared, they had been superceded by bogie GUVs and Carflats

hi "Fat Controller"

Many thanks for putting that so neatly!! it helps me out no end, but can you tell me more about PLV vehicles/vans pleae.

regds

Chris

Sometimes RMWeb can be depressing.

Bogies

There was a type with end corridor connections as modelled by Tri-ang half a century ago and still being manufactured I believe

B - the last type of bogie van for the SR and many built BR

GUV - much rarer, a very large van with end doors   Both types in http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srguvandb

4 wheelers  

BY - fixed end, windows in the doors, including a single one for the guard. These had a brake that the guard could apply. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srby

PMV - fixed end windows in side but not in the doors http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srpmv

CCT - doors in the end, windows in side but not in the doors http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/srcct

A confusion is that some CCTs had the end doors sealed and they became PMVs, which is what Bachmann have modelled for the blue CCT they have introduced in 4mm.

And then the SR engineers got hold of lots of them and made modifications to some.

Paul

Hi Paul

Many thanks for putting all that together and having the links to photo's makes identification a lot easier (so I've save it  to Fave's and put it n my RM WEB folder) hope karhedron been following this)

Archived