• Administrators

Hi all,

Welcome to the July issue of BRM - our annual 'Scenery Special'. This issue is available to download as a Digital Edition NOW and will go on-sale in shops on Thursday (June 23rd). You can also purchase the magazine from our website now!

Remember, the cheapest way to enjoy BRM is to subscribe. Click here for a very special subscription offer: Receive a free Lightcraft Folding Lamp worth over £30 when you subscribe for just £19.99 by 6-monthly Direct Debit (saving you over £18.50 a year)! 

Click here to see some preview articles from this month's magazine!

Below is a run-down of what you’ll find in this month’s magazine and FREE DVD!

The BRM Team

post-14186-0-28067000-1466171595.jpg

FREE DVD for every reader

Layout Focus: Apethorn Junction - O gauge BR Diesels on this exhibition favourite

Precision Plants - add etched foliage to your layout

Exbury Gardens - behind the scenes at a narrow gauge railway

The July 2016 issue is packed with great layouts, modelling ideas and projects to inspire you. Here's what you'll find in this month’s magazine:

Britain’s Best Layouts

Penmaenpool (BR Western Region 1948-65) - OO gauge. Stunning scenic layout.

Welby Lane RTC (BR London Midland Region 1970s/80s) - OO gauge

Arigna Town (Ireland 1970s) - 7mm scale

Kineton (Project Layout - Part 3) - N Gauge

NEW! BRM Trackplan Archive!

Our new monthly series, offering a range of Trackplans for you to cut-out-and-keep. This month you’ll find:

Dutch River Dock - O gauge

Hellingley Hospital Railway - OO gauge

Bromsgrove - OO gauge

PRACTICAL BRM

How to... model a Fir Tree

Make a diorama more realistic (altering plastic building kits and adding lighting effects)

A wagon in every scale (building a 7mm:1ft scale kit)

Create realistic lineside scenery

Build a Wills Craftsman Cottage

GOODS INWARDS – PRODUCT NEWS/REVIEWS        

Graham Farish GWR '6400'

Heljan Warship

Kernow '4-TC'

Plus loads more products news and reviews

PLUS

Interview: Scott Waterfield, next generation model builder

Event Diary

Tail Lamp

Geoff Taylor's layout -Penmaenpool-looks a real stunner. Superb!

Hand on heart it's one of the most atmospheric and inspiring layouts I have ever photographed. If you know Geoff there's a couple of photos with a mini-Geoff courtesy of Modelu.

Its even interesting when it's been chucking it down and there's no trains.

Pemaenpool1wet_s1500.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Agree with the above. BUT, now that you have de-glossed the cover I can't get the DVD off without ripping it.

Ed

I could.  i think it's best to try to peel it rather than try any other method - seems to work ok like that for me.

My only problem with the cover is the jarring (to me) appearance of the Backing Arm with a white stripe on it - otherwise the picture would sit beautifully in a 'hard to believe it isn't real' category - smashing model, gorgeous pic.  (And quickly solved on the model with a drop of red paint of course)

• RMweb Gold

My only problem with the cover is the jarring (to me) appearance of the Backing Arm with a white stripe on it - otherwise the picture would sit beautifully in a 'hard to believe it isn't real' category - smashing model, gorgeous pic. (And quickly solved on the model with a drop of red paint of course)[/i]

I'm not familiar with Backing Arms, so I Googled "Penmaenpool Station" and found a photo of the prototype signal, so now realise what you meant.

As well as the signal photo, there were numerous photos of the station back in the day and Geoff seems to have done a cracking job of replicating it in miniature. Having seen some tantalising glimpses of the layout from time to time, I'm pleased it's finally going to be seen in print. Roll on Thursday!

Regards

Dan

There are a lot more in the mag - smashing stuff and well worth the cover price for this layout and the pics alone.

Yep, I'd worked out there would be lots in the mag. Only snag is that I'm trapped indoors ATM and can't get to get one. So until I can I'm rather hoping a few other snaps can be posted on the forum. It'll wet my appetite and remind me to get a copy when I do get out.

G.

• RMweb Premium

I thought this issue was superb--and the DVD too. I must get to Exbury one day soon! Keep up the good work with high-standard layouts--none of the unpainted rails that other mags have sometimes featured.

nice photo, are the other ones as good.

I wonder if BRM are trying to follow Model Rail, with concept of a themed issue , I will have a quick look and decide then, but the contents list sounds a bit like hat I have seen before in other magazines over the years.

are the other ones as good.

Better; the one above was just an arty shot.

We often do a scenery-led issue during the summer but the layouts aren't necessarily themed towards it although I've never seen a layout capture the feel of the scenery of a location as well as Penmaenpool does.

Although this shot was a favourite of both mine and Geoff's it's not in the mag.

Penmaenpool_4MT_3_BWs.jpg

• Administrators

nice photo, are the other ones as good.

I wonder if BRM are trying to follow Model Rail, with concept of a themed issue , I will have a quick look and decide then, but the contents list sounds a bit like hat I have seen before in other magazines over the years.

For years we've included the themed issue. We've had issues themed towards: weathering, scenery, a layouts special...

that last photo, just does not do it for me. the detail in the signal box is ok, but the train, well it is just a train. sorry but the colour one just oozes inspiration.

O only made the comment about themes, because some were being critical of the idea in  Model Rail magazine.

I think I know what made that colour photo for me, it reminded me of the old articles by George IIiffe Stokes. But then I do prefer building the scenery to the trains themselves. Trains are useful, as they move, adding that dimension to a model railway.

• Administrators

am I alone in being confused here, but on the dvd a narrow gauge railway in Hampshire has nothing to do with modelling....

or should I buy narrow gauge railways monthly for modelling tips????

Narrow Gauge World magazine has some great modelling included! https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/narrow-gauge-world

:onthequiet:

• Administrators

am I alone in being confused here, but on the dvd a narrow gauge railway in Hampshire has nothing to do with modelling....

It's just one feature - and an interesting one at that. We've been out to the Severn Valley railway a couple of times too for DVD features so including a real railway isn't new. As it is, if the family want a day out to a nice gardens, I can see a few readers suggesting Exbury. Then when they arrive, in an innocent voice you say, "Oh look, a steam railway. Well we might as well have a little look around the shed and a ride."

Alternatively, you could stick the DVD on the telly and perhaps the family will say, "That looks pretty, perhaps we should go" and hey presto, you're going to get a steam train ride.

While were were there, I set up a wobby table and made some etched brass ferns.

fern.jpg

Now you might now want to make a fern (although they are very good) but etched brass is etched brass. Cutting and painting is the same be it plants or detailing parts.

And of course there is the rather excellent Apethorn Junction with the most fantastic mill building in the middle.

• RMweb Gold

For years we've included the themed issue. We've had issues themed towards: weathering, scenery, a layouts special...

that last photo, just does not do it for me. the detail in the signal box is ok, but the train, well it is just a train. sorry but the colour one just oozes inspiration.

O only made the comment about themes, because some were being critical of the idea in  Model Rail magazine.

I think I know what made that colour photo for me, it reminded me of the old articles by George IIiffe Stokes. But then I do prefer building the scenery to the trains themselves. Trains are useful, as they move, adding that dimension to a model railway.

Nothing wrong with themed issues, as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, I'd be delighted if I ever saw one with a theme of multiple units (diesel would do fine - 25kV electrics even better) - or, better still, modern "light rail".

I think I might be waiting a long time ... .

Narrow Gauge World magazine has some great modelling included! https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/narrow-gauge-world

:onthequiet:

Over the years, I've actually found a lot of NG stuff to be inspirational - often loads of detail (and "character") in small packages.

In fact, trying to find out how some NG modellers had approached certain things was one thing that drew me towards model railway themed forum sites - whether you regard this as a good thing or a bad thing is for you to decide.

It's just one feature - and an interesting one at that. We've been out to the Severn Valley railway a couple of times too for DVD features so including a real railway isn't new. As it is, if the family want a day out to a nice gardens, I can see a few readers suggesting Exbury. Then when they arrive, in an innocent voice you say, "Oh look, a steam railway. Well we might as well have a little look around the shed and a ride."

Yes. Right.

Huw.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't seem to have the feature on etched plants on my DVD. If I click on the various links, it takes me to the feature on Exbury. Anyone else have this problem?

Like others, I am very uninterested in miniature railways.

• Administrators

I don't seem to have the feature on etched plants on my DVD. If I click on the various links, it takes me to the feature on Exbury. Anyone else have this problem?

Like others, I am very uninterested in miniature railways.

The etched plants section was filmed at Exbury. Maybe if you fast forward through it you'll find it easier.

• RMweb Gold

The etched plants section was filmed at Exbury. Maybe if you fast forward through it you'll find it easier.

Have now fast-forwarded and still just the same. Lots of Exbury Gardens, nothing at all about etched plants.

Enjoyed Apethorne Jct though - not least because Keith Harrison is an old friend. Must be 30 years ago that I first met him (then modelling French HO) and he has hardly changed at all.

• Administrators

Just to double check, I put the DVD in my computer.

DVD Menu.jpg

The etched plants chaper starts with Howard walking down a platform, driving the train out and around a couple of curves. As they pass me sitting by the track, I take over and do the etched plants piece for 5 mins or so. 

Perhaps a longer than normal intro but the location lent itself to doing something slightly different.

• 3 weeks later...

I could.  i think it's best to try to peel it rather than try any other method - seems to work ok like that for me.

My only problem with the cover is the jarring (to me) appearance of the Backing Arm with a white stripe on it - otherwise the picture would sit beautifully in a 'hard to believe it isn't real' category - smashing model, gorgeous pic.  (And quickly solved on the model with a drop of red paint of course)

When I made the Penmaenpool signals, the view I had of the front of the signal is not clear, it's either over exposed or bleached as the arm is very light in colour. The rear view shows a black stripe, so I assumed it would have a corresponding white strip on the front. I'm afraid it rather exposes my lack of knowledge of GW signalling. Once we find a decent view we'll correct it if necessary.

Regards

Tony

Archived