The Ruston 48DS class - a rivet-counter's guide

Thanks Ruston, much appreciated, there's something rather appealing about small Rustons for me.

Are there any drawings for w/n 177530 as it looks rather tempting.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a decent O gauge kit for the 48DS?

Thanks,

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Mr Ruston's own little book on the 48 & 88DS class is well worth finding for drawings [though not of 1177530 but the production locos] photos & data. Andrew Neales' Ruston loco album is glossily produced with more photos, was being discounted at Loughborough yrsterday.

Impetus did a now unobtainable kit in Gauge 0, Electifying Trains produce one which had mixed reviews on price & build [search this site]. Judith Edge probably will do one and Little Loco Co. are heavily hinting at a RTR version for Christmas! So everyone will have one.

Try finding afull size one - they tend to be shunted into obscure sidings.

Dava

• Like 1

Thanks Dava,

I have a small book on the narrow gauge Rustons, but will look out for Ruston's book and I must get round to buying a copy of Andrew Neale's.

Think that it was a review for the Electrifying Trains version that I've read and wasn't tempted to try and build one after reading it!

In the absence of the Impetus one, hopefully Judith Edge will bring theirs out in 7mm scale and as for an rtr one, will believe any rumours when a model is confirmed.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 2

In the absence of the Impetus one, hopefully Judith Edge will bring theirs out in 7mm scale and as for an rtr one, will believe any rumours when a model is confirmed.

I think (?) that Mike Edge intimated as much on his thread some while back so hopefully he may spot this thread comment and be able to confirm.

Thanks Ruston, much appreciated, there's something rather appealing about small Rustons for me.

Are there any drawings for w/n 177530 as it looks rather tempting.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a decent O gauge kit for the 48DS?

Thanks,

Andrew

I have a small General Arrangement drawing of 177530 in one of my Ruston sales leaflets. I'll scan it and post it here when I have the time.

• Like 2

I have a small General Arrangement drawing of 177530 in one of my Ruston sales leaflets. I'll scan it and post it here when I have the time.

That would be great thank you, no rush. Just a very eye catching loco, to me at any rate.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 1 month later...

177530, taken from Ruston & Hornsby sales leaflet No.7216 of 1936.

48diag.jpg

The drawing shows the front to be flat but picures in the same leaflet show the rounded header tank, as seen earlier, so it can't have remained in th as drawn state for long.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 3

There is one these locos for sale on e-bay. Ruston Hornsby 4WDM 88ds Locomotive at a buy it now price of £5000.

Buyer collects!

This is in the wrong thread, this ones about 48DS locos not the 88DS and if you look, there's already a thread about the loco for sale under the title '12 inches to the foot 88DS anyone?'

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Frankly, I am surprised that noone has done a 3D print or used that to make masters for a urethane or whitemetal kit.

Started, but then the je 4mm kit came out with rumours of 7mm enlargement, then other rumours of 7mm rtr, so I decided not to bother.

Frankly, I am surprised that noone has done a 3D print or used that to make masters for a urethane or whitemetal kit.

Two etched brass kits available so no real need (assuming A1 is still available?)

Stu

Thanks for this Ruston, it is absolutely fascinating. The 48ds is my favourite locomotive of all time and I'm keeping everything crossed that, following some hints, a 7mm scale RTR example is going to appear in the not too distant future!! I cannot wait if the rumour is going to materialise...!

Thanks again,

David

I'm building the A1 etched one at the moment, and it's a bit of a tight squeeze getting a motor (Mashima 1015), gearbox and flywheel inside the loco without too much of it showing. There's about 1mm clearance around the flywheel (I take my hat off to the chap who built the 2mm finescale one in the MRJ a few years back). 

I'd imagine it would be a lot harder to fit the innards in to a whitemetal or resin loco, as the thicker side walls of the casting would leave a lot less room. I suppose you could stick in on a Spud, but the wheelbase would be too long and the performance wouldn't be great. 

Having said this, there are 2mm/3mm versions of Shapeways, by Etched Pixels.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YNF9TTTRV/ruston-48ds-n-scale-about-6-quot-1mm-wider-than-acc?optionId=5604275

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UYWBJLEH8/48ds-shunter-in-3mm-1-100-scale?optionId=12942357