The Ruston 48DS class - a rivet-counter's guide

Two whisky industry Rustons. I can think of maybe another two that existed (Tomatain and something rattles around my head of another, Cameron Bridge?). The Queen Anne livery is not the most attractive with all that brown and cream but looks very well applied. Need to pull that part built whisky micro out of storage!

Just found this thread and got to say it's very inspirational, some great photos and info. I would like to build a 4mm version of one of these locos sometime.

Thanks for posting.

Steve.

I didn't see Hornbys announcement coming! 

Steve.

Two whisky industry Rustons. I can think of maybe another two that existed (Tomatain and something rattles around my head of another, Cameron Bridge?). The Queen Anne livery is not the most attractive with all that brown and cream but looks very well applied. Need to pull that part built whisky micro out of storage!

North British Distillery Company of Edinburgh took two 48DS new, in November 1945. 235518 and 235520.

Distillers Ltd. Kirkliston distillery, West Lothian had w/n 417890 new in March 1959.

The Ruston at Cameron Bridge was an 88DS. Tomatin had a 4wPM supplied by Manning Wardle but probably not built by them (Motor Rail, I think) and a Motor Rail.

• Informative/Useful 1

North British Distillery Company of Edinburgh took two 48DS new, in November 1945. 235518 and 235520.

Distillers Ltd. Kirkliston distillery, West Lothian had w/n 417890 new in March 1959.

The Ruston at Cameron Bridge was an 88DS. Tomatin had a 4wPM supplied by Manning Wardle but probably not built by them (Motor Rail, I think) and a Motor Rail.

Knew I should have checked Whisky Trails & Iron Rails before commenting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya - for my own interest do you happen to know their order date, versus delivery. I was just curious since the build numbers are not consecutive, and what their lead time might have been since presumably if ordered during wartime they would have had to justify the need via "red tape" of the period. 

My Ruston PB stationary engine was a grey colour I was told because it was built during the war (1944 iirc)

cheers

Matt

Hiya - for my own interest do you happen to know their order date, versus delivery. I was just curious since the build numbers are not consecutive, and what their lead time might have been since presumably if ordered during wartime they would have had to justify the need via "red tape" of the period. 

My Ruston PB stationary engine was a grey colour I was told because it was built during the war (1944 iirc)

cheers

Matt

Tonks book states 235510-21 were ex-works from 8-12/1945, assumed allocated Lot 6 and built with 4VRO engines at Boultham works.

Quote:- "Order numbers were issued in rotation for each financial year, so the first order for 1954 would be 540001 and so on.  If a locomotive went on trials or to an exhibition, or brought back and resold, it recieved a further order number".

This all became very complex, with the sheer volume of locomotives produced, and the only way to ascertain order date would be to consult the actual locomotive record card.

The reason for non-consecutive numbers could be due to issues of delivery priority-12 machines in a four month period could have meant simply allocating 235519 to another customer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Can anyone give information on 48DS delivered to Norway? Customer, build number, delivery date etc

It would narrow my search in norwegian historical railway and picture sources and I will report back in this thread

Edited by Singletrack

• 2 months later...
On 02/07/2019 at 21:55, Singletrack said:

Can anyone give information on 48DS delivered to Norway? Customer, build number, delivery date etc

It would narrow my search in norwegian historical railway and picture sources and I will report back in this thread

269598, maskin a/s pay & brick, norway 28/2/49.

According to Mr Hall's little booklet.

Edited by brack

• 2 weeks later...

The first of the Hornby RTR models is now in the shops. I recieved mine as a thank you, from Hornby, for helping with the research for the model.

It comes fitted with a runner wagon for extra electrical pickup but it really doesn't need it as it runs perfectly without it. I suppose anyone who is still living in the dark ages and is using Set Track, with its insulfrogs, will still need it.

48DS-Hornby-001.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 12

21 minutes ago, Ruston said:

The first of the Hornby RTR models is now in the shops. I recieved mine as a thank you, from Hornby, for helping with the research for the model.

48DS-Hornby-001.jpg.e3e17da20a57c2a3fc41453ada74ccef.jpg

It comes fitted with a runner wagon for extra electrical pickup but it really doesn't need it as it runs perfectly without it. I suppose anyone who is still living in the dark ages and is using Set Track, with its insulfrogs, will still need it.

So - can the knowledgeable amongst us advise if a model of BR(S) Departmental Locomotive DS1169 is a simple repaint of this model?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

So - can the knowledgeable amongst us advise if a model of BR(S) Departmental Locomotive DS1169 is a simple repaint of this model?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not this particular one. You'll have to wait for the open-cab version for that. I couldn't tell you about any minor modifications that British Railways made but, as it was new to the Bristol Aeroplane Co. it would have been a standard product.

36 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Not this particular one. You'll have to wait for the open-cab version for that. I couldn't tell you about any minor modifications that British Railways made but, as it was new to the Bristol Aeroplane Co. it would have been a standard product.

Thanks for that - I have duly ordered the open cabbed version.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

On 27/09/2019 at 15:01, decauville1126 said:

Looks lovely, and a bit of weathering to tone it down will help.

Hopefully once dismantled it's alteration to P4 can be assessed.

Best price I can find across the board seems to be £71.99, some with free postage. Unless anyone knows better ....

Let us know on the P4 assessment.  I'm waiting to get hold of mine, but it will then (hopefully) be converted to EM. 

Cheers

Alastair

My little boy saw an o gauge one at a show last month and wants one for the layout we are building. Has anybody built the Judith edge kit in 7mm. If so would you recommend it? And how long does it take to build?

Marc

33 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

My little boy saw an o gauge one at a show last month and wants one for the layout we are building. Has anybody built the Judith edge kit in 7mm. If so would you recommend it? And how long does it take to build?

Marc

Yes, I've almost finished the 7mm one. I sat on the fence for a year or so waiting for the Little Loco Company (LLC) ready-to-run to reach fruition then got fed up and went for the Judith Edge brass kit. Glad I did as the LLC one literally hit the buffers! I already had the 4mm brass version and have experience of building a wide range of Judith Edge kits.

It takes as long as it does! Depends on your level of experience with etched brass kits but at least with this one you start off with something well-designed. By the time you add in wheels and motor/gearbox, plus delrin chain drive, the LLC one would have seemed a pretty attractive option but it's not to be unless you want to buy the whole operation! Shame really.

As a small manufacture I did look at his costings. Never quite worked out LLC used up so much money on developing his products. 

I'm going to order at kit next week once  I get back from Folkstone show with the big layout.

Marc