The Ruston 48DS class - a rivet-counter's guide

2 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

My little boy saw an o gauge one at a show last month and wants one for the layout we are building. Has anybody built the Judith edge kit in 7mm. If so would you recommend it? And how long does it take to build?

Marc

I have a 7mm JE kit on my shelf, having started it yet but the frets and bits have been out the box, perused and poked a couple of times. As a pretty inexperienced solderer of brass kits it doesnt look scary and seems fairly straightforward.

I’m not sure how the drive mechanisms compare but there are a couple of good threads here on RMweb detailing the building of the 4mm version. 

HTH

David

Edited by davknigh
Forgot to sign my work....

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dave. 

What colour did you use to paint the wheels on the Hornby version? 

Cheers, 

Rob 

21 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Dave. 

What colour did you use to paint the wheels on the Hornby version? 

Cheers, 

Rob 

Hi Rob. It's a Highland Railway loco mid-green (1875), from Phoenix Precision Paints. I also painted the roof on mine as I'm sure it shouldn't be black.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Dave.

Not sure about the roof but I will be painting the wheels.  It really does make a difference.

Then on to the weathering methinks. 

Rob. 

• 1 month later...

Do we have anyone here who is willing and able to produce etches to replace the cab sides, front and back, and to make new cab steps for the Hornby 48DS to to be converted into the earlier 44/48HP type?

Would anyone else be interested in this conversion?

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

Just a quick question were any turned out in Blue? My 5 year old wants one in blue for christmas.

Marc

Your best bet is R3943, the one in Express Dairy livery - but its not arrived just yet (still says due Winter 2020)

Many thanks for the tip. I'm building it in 7mm from a Judith Edge kit, so I'm going to have paint it myself anyway. But if express dairy has them in blue that's good enough for me. Just got to get some matching paint now.

Marc

• 1 month later...

I have fond memories of rattling up and down Springfield Yard in Falkirk ( then home to the SRPS) in one of thesein the late seventies.

This example though is further North. This is a privately owned example at Rogart on the Far North Line.

It was in working order when we were there in 2016.

Cheers

David

DSC_0652.JPG

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0654.JPG

DSC_0655.JPG

DSC_0656.JPG

Edited by David Bell
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Just been reading a new book ‘Railways in the Lake District by Martin Bairstow’ , there is a photo of one of these loco’s at Burneside on the ‘roadside tramway’ that served Cropper’s paper mill. Cries out to be modelled.

PS Carnforth Bookshop have copies of the book.

• Like 1

I took this picture at Shillingstone in Dorset, July of this year. I know nothing about the history of this Ruston shunter. Great looking little loco.

IMG_3105.JPG.43aa0312a81127202cd564c2c7f98d5a.JPG

Edited by down the sdjr
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I just had a quick look. Very nice but  I couldn't see the chassis. Also £195 is a hefty price when you consider Mike Edge's price of £55 for his kit. I had looked at doing Mike's kit as a RTR for not much more.

Marc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Bell said:

ALD Models appear to be doing gauge O and gauge 1 kits of the 48ds

I've just had a look on their website. The engine casing and cab look to be out of proportion and it just doesn't look right at all. They've omitted the radiator supports and the cab roof looks to be very thick. The roof is yet another case of a manufacturer trying to make everything 3D-printed, where brass or plasticard would be more appropriate materials. The frames don't have the angled pieces where the top of the buffer beam joins the sides and the rest of it is fairly basic and without detail, which in O gauge there is really no excuse for not including.

And then just look at the print lines along the engine casing! It's awful.

They don't mention the chassis at all. Does it even have both axles powered? At £195, I think that's even more expensive than the Little Loco Company RTR model was going to be, and that was an accurate model, with a decent chassis and powertrain. Such a shame that it never came to be.

On 18/11/2020 at 08:33, Furness Wagon said:

Just a quick question were any turned out in Blue? My 5 year old wants one in blue for christmas.

Marc

Found this topic a bit too late but IIRC the Ruston named Flying Flea that was at Steamtown was painted blue. I cannot find any pictures of it though. It was rather neglected there, probably because of limited usefulness. No idea where it is now.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Found this topic a bit too late but IIRC the Ruston named Flying Flea that was at Steamtown was painted blue. I cannot find any pictures of it though. It was rather neglected there, probably because of limited usefulness. No idea where it is now.

This was the ex-Croppers Ruston (where it was painted green) that moved from Carnforth to Fawley Hill. It was stored there for some time, when it was in a maroon livery, but has now been sold on I think to a chap based on the Mid-Suffolk - google "Lawrie goes Loco" and you should find it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, decauville1126 said:

This was the ex-Croppers Ruston (where it was painted green) that moved from Carnforth to Fawley Hill. It was stored there for some time, when it was in a maroon livery, but has now been sold on I think to a chap based on the Mid-Suffolk - google "Lawrie goes Loco" and you should find it.

If you look up Lawries Mechanical Marvels on YouTube you'll find it there. It's since been painted green and named after McAlpine.