Moorswater

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, it doesn't take much these days for the NR gauging computer to 'say no'.

On a recent project down here I coined the term "Reverse Del Monte Syndrome" to describe a particular individual who found it almost impossible to say yes.

Sadly, it doesn't take much these days for the NR gauging computer to 'say no'.

I've heard tell of a preserved class 47 that wasn't allowed west of Bristol due to gauging issues despite the fact plenty of the same traction work passed there all the time. Seems it wasn't on the right computer!

• RMweb Gold

I've heard tell of a preserved class 47 that wasn't allowed west of Bristol due to gauging issues despite the fact plenty of the same traction work passed there all the time. Seems it wasn't on the right computer!

It got there in the end, and in their desperation they even contacted me post-retirement for some advice, which I was happy to give.

That example is precisely the sort of thing that I am referring to.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's great news that this flow is restarting, but in a way, these backwater freight operations don't make much sense - having to runround at Liskeard  (or do they go further down the line to do this bit?), then travel down to Moorswater, runround & shunt into the terminal, unload, back up to Liskeard , runround again then back up country. Presumably it's the availability of a site close to the A38 that makes this worthwhile, but somewhere like Bodmin Parkway would make more sense - close to A38 and A30 and less shuffling around....

Don't the trains also split to run over the banks?

Edited by Ramblin Rich

It's great news that this flow is restarting, but in a way, these backwater freight operations don't make much sense - having to runround at Liskeard  (or do they go further down the line to do this bit?), then travel down to Moorswater, runround & shunt into the terminal, unload, back up to Liskeard , runround again then back up country. Presumably it's the availability of a site close to the A38 that makes this worthwhile, but somewhere like Bodmin Parkway would make more sense - close to A38 and A30 and less shuffling around....

Don't the trains also split to run over the banks?

I think it runs down to Lostwithiel to run round and then propels it back into Moorswater

Edit-

I mean it runs round the train at Lostwithiel, hauls it back up to Liskeard and onto the Looe branch and then into Moorswater, not (as the above post reads that it propels all the way from Lostwithiel), too many shandies consumed before posting the original post for which I apologise.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for the above posts. I'm on my phone at the moment and can't copy the picture directly. Taken on 13/9/2010 FL 66603 arrives from Westbury. I was actually fortunate enough to have tour around Moorwater with the Lafarge manager earlier in the week.

If anyone can open the photos and post directly please feel free to! ;)

• Like 1

Hi

Out of curiosity.....

When previosly run if the train was to long to run round at Liskeard it ran to Par to run round....

What has changed that it now will run round at Lostwithiel rather than at Par ?

Cheers Bill

Hmmmmmm........... Yeeeess.

Very....er.......Modern.

I don't suppose you have something in a slightly more conservative shape and colour, do you?

A nice overall green, with a face that doesn't give you a poke in the eye, perhaps?

K

Edited by Nearholmer

There were still paperwork issues when the loco arrived at Liskeard just after 9am, it was refused access to the branch, sitting in the station. As time ticked by the signalman had to run it down to Lostwithiel to clear the mainline. Problems solved it returned to Liskeard and sat in the yard waiting for the 12:15ish Looe departure to clear Coombe. I thought the last train to use the Moorswater line (bar weedkiller MPV) was the DRS 37 charter to Looe, but I seem to of found pics of cement trains just after....