What Southern Region EMU class is this?

ISTR there was a fair bit of renumbering of Southern EMUs in the late 1980s.

There certainly was, they tried to get the Southern to comply with having the unit number on the front (for example the first refurbished/renumbered 411s were numbered 411xxx) but as always the Southern soon reverted back to using the last four digits only, the unit picture would effectively be 421241 but with the '42' missing from the front.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

In the end they where all renumberd.  class 421/5 Greyhound 13xx. class 421/3 Facelifted 17xx. class421/4 facelifted 18xx. Then you had the 4 Big these where cig's with a Buffet car. Class 422/2 facelifted 220x . class 422/3 facelifted 2251-2262. The cig in the photo is a Greyhound unit.

Edited by crompton 33

• 4 months later...

the CI

All the various re-numberings of Southern stock really did my head in.

CIGs were by far the worst for renumberings - though the VEPs that started out as VAB were in a league of their own .............

........... the crucial question about that picture - and there are any number of possible answers depending on the exact date, I guess - is why is it facing up on the down line ?

• 2 years later...
On 21/11/2016 at 13:34, Wickham Green said:

........... the crucial question about that picture - and there are any number of possible answers depending on the exact date, I guess - is why is it facing up on the down line ?

That was one crucial question, the other being why was it displaying headcode 93 which was normally for the Waterloo to Bournemouth all stations stopper?

• RMweb Gold

the CI

CIGs were by far the worst for renumberings - though the VEPs that started out as VAB were in a league of their own .............

1 hour ago, guzzler17 said:

That was one crucial question, the other being why was it displaying headcode 93 which was normally for the Waterloo to Bournemouth all stations stopper?

Not sure if still applies, but there were some services that terminated at Wareham.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

the CI

12xx is a Phase II unrefurbished 4-CIG renumbered under TOPS from the previous 73xx or 74xx series.  As for the direction thing, no driver visible in the cab so perhaps heading the right way but the driver forgot to wind the blinds to double red when turning round (Probably going home train!)

20 hours ago, John M Upton said:

12xx is a Phase II unrefurbished 4-CIG renumbered under TOPS from the previous 73xx or 74xx series.  As for the direction thing, no driver visible in the cab so perhaps heading the right way but the driver forgot to wind the blinds to double red when turning round (Probably going home train!)

Was there absolute block east of Wareham in those days?  If so then the train would surely have been pulled up for lack of "tail lamp". 

I have some notes on these, which I compiled a long time ago. 

From my calculations, 421241 was originally 7341 and later became 421316 - but I might be wrong because half way through my earlier project I began to lose the will to live. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I have some notes on these, which I compiled a long time ago. 

From my calculations, 421241 was originally 7341 and later became 421316 - but I might be wrong because half way through my earlier project I began to lose the will to live. 

Assuming my Platform 5 1992 combined volume is correct (which quite often it wasn't!) then you are right!

• Thanks 1