Correct operation of 4 gate level crossing

Neil McGrath

After much head scratching I have managed to get a 4 gate level crossing to operate automatically using an Arduino, However, after seeing a you tube video it appears that all 4 gates operate at the same time. I initially thought that the gated crossings operated the same as the ones with barriers where the nearest barrier operates first, followed by the one on the far side. Is this ever the case with gates? 

Neil

The 4 gate crossing in Ramsbottom on the East Lancs railway is controlled by a hand crank wheel in the signal box, 

While all four gates go at once, they' don't move perfectly in time with each other, possibly due to wear in the gearing, they also slam to a stop and bounce a bit, not always locking into the bottom catch in the road. 

Hand opened and closed gates would move in the order done by the signalman, probably working in a loop round the crossing, often throwing the gate across the road. - this is however speculation on my part

After much head scratching I have managed to get a 4 gate level crossing to operate automatically using an Arduino, However, after seeing a you tube video it appears that all 4 gates operate at the same time. I initially thought that the gated crossings operated the same as the ones with barriers where the nearest barrier operates first, followed by the one on the far side. Is this ever the case with gates? 

Neil

With gated crossings it is usual for all gates to move at the same time. The exceptions occur if the gates could hit each other if worked simultaneously. This can be when the road is much wider than the railway so the gates overlap when across the rails or when the road and rails are at an angle such that the gates on opposite corners can hit each other in the middle.

Regards Roger

Edited to correct the facts.

Archived