Exclusive 'Golden Arrow' Class 71s

Hattons Dave

Try not to spend!

I know difficult at this time of the year especially if you have the family holiday, kid's birthdays and other special events to pay for like I have right now.

What’s the point of a holiday if you can’t buy the latest goodie? As for the litle ’uns, buy them railway stuff and “put it away until they’re older”, meaning until they’re old enough to inherit.

What’s the point of a holiday if you can’t buy the latest goodie? As for the litle ’uns, buy them railway stuff and “put it away until they’re older”, meaning until they’re old enough to inherit.

Going OT, but my son wants to be a scientist and there is a big eclipse this year going across a country we would like to visit and I have enough southern stuff stashed away TBH.

The southern stuff I brought in the cheap old days would fetch a fortune now, but I doubt it will have the same value the day I pass away. In all probability, my kids would not know it's true value either.

I personally experienced my Parents telling me how antiques will keep their value, and that its a great investment and so on. Yet when they passed away, no one wanted antiques anymore, I had an awful lot of stuff to dispose of, kept a few box loads of sentimental items but really it was burden - especially when you live far away.

Logically, I should sell my trains now! But this is not me, and the stuff I buy is not stashed but gets used. I do - these days - buy less and dispose of items which I longer need.

The Hatton's 71 fills a gap in my Golden Arrow story (for which I have few coaches, though plenty of Pullmans) with locos having arrows etc:

Port Line - MN in BR Blue with arrows (Crownline kit once it is built)

City Of Wells - BR early crest (an Exeter to be renamed and numbered)

Iron Duke - BR early crest (Lord Kitchener to  to be renamed and numbered)

Hattons 71 - BR late crest - no work required

Brighton Evening Argus - Dapol class 73 - no work required

Clan Line - Hornby Rebuilt - work complete

2 done, 3 to do and Hattons to arrive....

My five year old (last night)

""Daddy. When you're dead, I'll keep your locos safe and clean. I'll get some LNER locos and make a LNER railway"

My wife said "at least he's thinking ahead."

My five year old (last night)

""Daddy. When you're dead, I'll keep your locos safe and clean. I'll get some LNER locos and make a LNER railway"

My wife said "at least he's thinking ahead."

That is cute, if a little uncomfortable. It is nice to think that your hobby will continue when you’re no longer there to continue it. LNER, eh? Well done for bringing him up properly!

Going OT, but my son wants to be a scientist and there is a big eclipse this year going across a country we would like to visit and I have enough southern stuff stashed away TBH.

The southern stuff I brought in the cheap old days would fetch a fortune now, but I doubt it will have the same value the day I pass away. In all probability, my kids would not know it's true value either.

I personally experienced my Parents telling me how antiques will keep their value, and that its a great investment and so on. Yet when they passed away, no one wanted antiques anymore, I had an awful lot of stuff to dispose of, kept a few box loads of sentimental items but really it was burden - especially when you live far away.

Logically, I should sell my trains now! But this is not me, and the stuff I buy is not stashed but gets used. I do - these days - buy less and dispose of items which I longer need.

The Hatton's 71 fills a gap in my Golden Arrow story (for which I have few coaches, though plenty of Pullmans) with locos having arrows etc:

Port Line - MN in BR Blue with arrows (Crownline kit once it is built)

City Of Wells - BR early crest (an Exeter to be renamed and numbered)

Iron Duke - BR early crest (Lord Kitchener to  to be renamed and numbered)

Hattons 71 - BR late crest - no work required

Brighton Evening Argus - Dapol class 73 - no work required

Clan Line - Hornby Rebuilt - work complete

2 done, 3 to do and Hattons to arrive....

:offtopic:  An eclipse only lasts a few minutes. However, thanks to an encyclopaedia, I had been aware of the 1999 eclipse since I was a lad. I wangled a grandstand view from the residence of gf’s mother and it was incredible to see the shadow racing across the landscape. At totality, sunshine could be seen to the east, south and west. Said lady was a late riser and although I don’t remember, I’m told I said to her, “I wouldn’t want you to think that this happens every morning.”

• Like 1

Oh well just had the update from hattons

Put back till April May

I am not surprised. They were being made only a week ago and almost certainly still ongoing. Then they need to be shipped, a good 4-6 week voyage.

But they are progressing....

• Like 1

I am not surprised. They were being made only a week ago and almost certainly still ongoing. Then they need to be shipped, a good 4-6 week voyage.

But they are progressing....

Unfortunately Dave Jones has updated the crowdfunded Class 71 thread that only 30% of the crowdfunded versions have been completed, and as all versions are being made in tandem I'm assuming a similar level for the Hattons 'Golden Arrow' versions. The crowdfunded versions were going to be flown to the UK, again I assume the Kernow and Hattons versions would be in the same consignment, so production could be a while yet.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Their arrival at Hattons is imminent.

Hi all,

As Ian says, both Golden Arrow Class 71s are due with us early next week .As soon as I have an exact date I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hattons Facebook page just said they landed in the UK and are making their way to Liverpool.

Can,t wait.

Hi all, 

I can confirm that we are expecting these to be delivered to us tomorrow morning and we'll be dispatching them ASAP. 

Cheers, 

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We have received our Exclusive Golden Arrow class 71’s from DJ Models and have carefully checked a sample of them as per our usual procedure.  Unfortunately we have found several quality issues with both the finish of the bodies as well as the application and positioning of the Golden Arrow etches.  We have therefore made the decision to refuse the delivery.  We are currently working with DJ Models and the factory to come up with a resolution to this situation and will keep everyone updated as it progresses.

We understand that it is disappointing but we always strive for the best quality models possible and could not accept these models in their current condition.

Cheers,

Dave
Edited by Hatton's Dave

Hi all,

We have received our Exclusive Golden Arrow class 71’s from DJ Models and have carefully checked a sample of them as per our usual procedure.  Unfortunately we have found several quality issues with both the finish of the bodies as well as the application and positioning of the Golden Arrow etches.  We have therefore made the decision to refuse the delivery.  We are currently working with DJ Models and the factory to come up with a resolution to this situation and will keep everyone updated as it progresses.

We understand that it is disappointing but we always strive for the best quality models possible and could not accept these models in their current condition.

Cheers,

Dave

Very disappointed to hear this news as I was looking forward to purchasing both of these 71's, i'll just have to snap up a few from Kernow in the meantime.

• Like 1

Very disappointed to hear this news as I was looking forward to purchasing both of these 71's, i'll just have to snap up a few from Kernow in the meantime.

Agree with Brian very very dissapointing after such delays already

Do we have a possible time scale or to early to say I am guessing at least a month unless they are air freighted in

The worrying thing is maybe kernow models may start showing similar issues with paint etc would be interested to know if they have found this problem

Edited by Shroomy

• RMweb Premium

The worrying thing is maybe kernow models may start showing similar issues with paint etc would be interested to know if they have found this problem

Since Kernow is acting as vendor for DJM, I suspect they will not have made their own quality checks but accepted the models as supplied by DJM, in which case any problems are only likely to become apparent if models are returned from buyers to Kernow. So far there are no such reports on here. Could it be a similar problem to the Dapol 68s, i.e. with glue spilling round the arrows and headboard, which are not straight and/or are in the wrong place?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agree with Brian very very dissapointing after such delays already

Do we have a possible time scale or to early to say I am guessing at least a month unless they are air freighted in

But a very wise decision nonetheless.Fingers have been burned here before and I am certain that Hattons cannot afford another debacle over a commission and if it comes to that neither can we.Oh dear what a great shame but let's not go looking for any other problems that might or might not be lurking....if there are such we'll be the first to know of it I'm 100% certain of that.

None reported to date.....so dig deep for reserves of patience .

Hi everyone,

Can I just elaborate on this please?

Firstly the DJM crowdfunded and Kernow ones do not suffer from any of the problems the Hattons exclusives have, and are in an 'as you would expect' condition for a new locomotive.

However Hattons models are not what would be expected, and although the checked by myself chassis seems to be fine, the rest of the loco is quite simply unacceptable in any way shape or form.

David is too polite to say it here, but I will, they are truly bad. Nothing either of us wants to have our name put against as it will taint the model, and it's growing reputation as a pretty good loco.

The calls are in with China to find out who was making them at the time, as they don't appear to have been made by the same crew that did the 2 batches already released.

Things will get done, and quickly. And I'll be reporting to Dave as soon as I know a plan of action with this model. He will no doubt post here accordingly.

Cheers

Dave

DJModels Ltd

• Like 6

What a refreshing reaction from both Daves (Hattons and DJM), and would not expect similar from the bigger manufacturers.

If anything it increases the confidence that the GA version shall be the best when finally released to their customers.

Gives me a little more time to acquire the funds for a green one, I hope that they still have some space on their order book!

Most satisfied and impressed with E5004 I received this week, so am prepared to wait for Hattons version.

Now just need some 1951 Pullmans, some Wagons-Lit and some 4mm ferry stock......  Hoping for too much?

Regards Dave (Solley).

• RMweb Gold

Any chance of a photo of what went wrong please?

With respect, what is the point? Neither Dave is happy and they will sort it. We gain nothing from photos and those who are anti Hattons and/or DJ will just use them to have a go/damage credibility. Let's just leave them to sort it all out.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Any chance of a photo of what went wrong please?

What and give people another excuse to bash your (as in DJM) company - because as sure as eggs is eggs someone would use the image in the wrong way.

I don't see Ford, Apple, Samsung, Philips, Heniz, Bachmann, etc releasing pictures of merchandise they have rejected as not fit for sale and I don't see why DJM should be any different.

Edited by phil-b259