Ex steelworks Alco locomotives

mervyn

• RMweb Premium

801 is being rebuilt (slowly) just by Ham Lane crossing at Ferry Meadows on the Nene Valley Railway in Peterborough.

802 was recorded as being stripped for spares to keep the others running.

As far as I can tell 803 was last heard of at The American Railroad Centre on the Cholseley and Wallingford line.

804 is/was at Railworld also in Peterborough and just a couple of miles down the line from 801, it was their first exhibit, but is/was up for sale. If unsold at the end of 2013 it was going to be scrapped with parts donated to 801 - I have no idea what has happened to it. apparently it was lack of volunteers to work on it that was the problem. There were also a spare pair of bogies at Railworld.

It has been suggested that 805 was scrapped but also that it was used as an advertising hoarding for the Loco Restaurant in Oswestry. Unfortunately 801 has also been credited with being the advertising hoarding.

• RMweb Premium

I'd suspect it was 801 that was restarted a while back but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

NVR is perhaps one of the few lines that could take these due to the loading gauge they require, they are big.

They are even too big for the NVR the rail world one had to have its cab removed to get there.

I understood one was to be used on the Alnwick line?

801 went there, but it sounds like it is now at Ferry Meadows. I believe both it and 804 have been started.

I wonder if the bloke who owns Mangapps Farm could be persuaded to take one on to go with his Caboose and other CP memorabilia...?

• RMweb Premium

801 went there, but it sounds like it is now at Ferry Meadows. I believe both it and 804 have been started.

I wonder if the bloke who owns Mangapps Farm could be persuaded to take one on to go with his Caboose and other CP memorabilia...?

The caboose still has the original knuckle couplings so the locomotive would require compatible couplings. Though it is moved about on site so there might be  a match wagon or a suitable engine.

• Like 1

The caboose still has the original knuckle couplings so the locomotive would require compatible couplings. Though it is moved about on site so there might be  a match wagon or a suitable engine.

I've ridden in it, they use an ex-Royal Navy flat as a coupling adaptor wagon, and have removed the steps from one side but it is still a very tight fit alongside platform edges.

• RMweb Premium

Been for a walk this afternoon and paused for these, it is 801:

IMG_7447_zpslatnuam2.jpg

IMG_7448_zpsjz9qylhi.jpg

IMG_7449_zpsf6j7aob3.jpg

If you look closely the cab roof is just tacked in place at the bottom of the window openings, presumably it was removed to get it to where it is!

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 8

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

We’re there some GM EMD SW series switchers used in one of the South Wales steelworks?

I may be confusing this with the Brush-Bagnall designed ones which resemble them.

Dava

Edited by Dava
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not aware of any EMD Switchers at steel works, but there is an SW1001 at Foster Yeoman's quarry in Merehead.

Edited by Moxy
correct location
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

801 at Oswestry (I have a bunch of pictures of at least 6 locos including a crane tank at this location). I was working at BTs huge underground telco bunker at this time.

ED8F41F9-8D50-485E-93FE-DDDA4CA65005

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Anyone know of where 803 is now?  It's not at Wallingford any more.

In addition to the Foster Yeoman SW1001 at Merehead which was supplied new, there is another SW1001 120 at Whatley Quarry. Built in 1972 as Boke Trading, Guinea Africa 204 (b/n 37903) it was wrecked in 1982, returned to the USA, rebuilt and came to Somerset in 2002.  I don't know of any other EMD switchers in the UK.

Regarding the Brush-Bagnall locos at Port Talbot, for those not familiar with them here's what they looked like - vaguely EMD-ish I suppose on a foggy, dark night!

1297255275_R-BSC-020_BSC902PortTalbot5-8-96.jpg.7fa2edacc24c90b92018c5d2f5cd527e.jpg

Taken when we were guests of BSC whilst collecting 803 otherwise access to site, like all steelworks, was virtually impossible.

Edited by Mike_Walker
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

39 minutes ago, russ p said:

What happened to the one in Northumberland?  That was being restored about ten years ago 

Thats #801 on the Nene Valley - the blue one...

17-2130.jpg.6a045723819977ccf6c568b9c5dc2322.jpg

From what I can work out there were two others "preserved" - one by the "American Railroad Centre" who, I think were hoping to do something on the Chinnor line (??) and another. Both were broken up at some stage, but the trucks from one of these supposedly survive somewhere on the NVR.

There is always this EMD switcher to preserve when it gets withdrawn....

82-429.JPG.0309f70be4eb8e18459e39512ac10cf8.JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

803 was owned by Ron Keevil who had intentions of creating an American Railroad Centre in the UK and was also President of the short-lived UK Chapter of the US National Railroad Historical Society.  He had looked at Thame as a possible base but later stored the loco at Wallingford where some limited work was done.  I lost contact with Ron many years ago but found out last week that whilst still with us he is too unwell to be asked about the fate of the loco.  However it was confirmed to me it left Wallingford some years ago hence my question.

I think it will be many years before either of the SW1001s becomes available - we'll have to wait until they've finished removing that part of the Mendips at least!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1