The Forth Bridge

dkightley

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant, enjoyed seeing this & talking to you on Saturday morning at GCR. Triumph of 3D printing ingenuity.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I've recently exhibited a model of the Forth Bridge in T Gauge.

Here's a YouTube video....

Enjoy.

Very nice Doug. Now I want to have lunch at the Hawes Inn. You need a model of my old friend John Watson's boat "Maid of the Forth" setting off for or coming back from Inchcolm.

Excellent model DKightley, gosh, the workmanship gone into that is amazing. Did you make all the girders by hand or is it a 3D printing job? What material have you used?

One downer though, it's been mentioned already, when a moving train came on the scene I thought all of a sudden we'd moved to Japan. I didn't know Britain had a bullet train, or is it just Scotland? It must have been doing over 100mph scale speed :)

Shame to spoil such a good model like that. Perhaps you've got old motors but I know you can get more realistic running now for T Gauge. I asked them at the Warley Show last year if they could make them model the movement of the real thing and they could, I was amazed. Here's a good example:-

Rich
  • Like 6

I bought the T-gauge HST set. I was not expecting such superb running from something so small. The slow speed performance was incredible, very smooth right down to inch a minute speeds if so desired. Blue and Grey might be a little out of era, but the full HST rake running across that at an appropriate scale speed would look amazing. Does anyone do the transfers to re-livery one to something more modern?

An absolutely superb model!

• RMweb Premium

I bought the T-gauge HST set. I was not expecting such superb running from something so small. The slow speed performance was incredible, very smooth right down to inch a minute speeds if so desired. Blue and Grey might be a little out of era, but the full HST rake running across that at an appropriate scale speed would look amazing. Does anyone do the transfers to re-livery one to something more modern?

An absolutely superb model!

40 mph max over the bridge if I recall correctly. I reckon that's about 40 mm/s in T-gauge!

Edited by St Enodoc

Excellent model DKightley, gosh, the workmanship gone into that is amazing. Did you make all the girders by hand or is it a 3D printing job? What material have you used?

One downer though, it's been mentioned already, when a moving train came on the scene I thought all of a sudden we'd moved to Japan. I didn't know Britain had a bullet train, or is it just Scotland? It must have been doing over 100mph scale speed :)

Shame to spoil such a good model like that. Perhaps you've got old motors but I know you can get more realistic running now for T Gauge. I asked them at the Warley Show last year if they could make them model the movement of the real thing and they could, I was amazed. Here's a good example:-

Rich

Loved this - how many mechs in the Victoria rake?

40 mph max over the bridge if I recall correctly. I reckon that's about 40 mm/s in T-gauge!

Yes, I've had a go at the calculation and I make it that aswell. That means that the train in the video I linked is doing about 40mph. Would those coaches be about 45mm long?

Loved this - how many mechs in the Victoria rake?

Jolly good, but what's a mech?

Rich

I was told about this last night, and assumed 3D printing was used. Am I correct?

Having played with T gauge when it first came out, I know how difficult it can be to keep things running. Much depended on magnets holding the trains down, as no weight in effect.

It would be nice to see a full length LNER streamline steam train running. 2 coach trains get a bit lost in the space.

• 3 months later...

The bridge has a speed limit of 50 miles per hour (80 km/h) for high-speed trains and DMU's 40 miles per hour (64 km/h) for loco hauled passenger trains and 30 miles per hour (48 km/h) for freight trains.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw you at Glasgow show an impressive layout that conveys the majesty of the real thing ,and the buildings are superb you didn't realy need any trains running there was so much to look at.Congratulations on creating a masterpiece of modelling.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It is a magnificent model, but I am afraid I have to agree with others on the forum about the excessive speed.  Running at something closer to scale speeds. in which the trains would take around a minute to clear the Bridge end to end as they do in real life, if that is possible (I am moderately blown away by the fact that running at this scale is even possible), will enhance the effect of the enormous size of the Bridge; a dmu whizzing over in less than 10 seconds just doesn't convey the impression of the real thing, where the trains look as though they are taking ages because it's so BIG!!!  The real Bridge dominates and dwarfs it's surroundings, even the mighty Firth itself!

lmsforever has a good point; the thing is impressive enough to work as a static diorama, but of course if you did that it would be about 15 seconds after the doors opened that the first punter would want to see trains running!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
33 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Does anyone know if this model of the Forth Bridge in T Gauge still exists?

I believe the owner retired it and put it into storage about 5 years ago, as after twenty-something shows it was starting to have a few issues. 

• Thanks 1