850 and other tank locos on DSE section - colour

andrewshimmin

Does anyone know of any colour photos of 2-6-2T no 850? Preferably in green livery, although as I've never seen any colour photo of this loco I would settle for any livery!

I would also be interested to hear of any colour photos of any of the ex-DSER tank locos. I know there are one or two in the second volume of Irish Railways in Colour by Tom Ferris.

Also happy to hear of any good B&W photos of no 850.

Have you tried the Bluebell Railway?If you go on to their Museum site it comes up with photo collections go for the John Smith one and check out the Irish section if sure i got some 850 prints fron there.The good thing about the list is that all the prints have tumbnail pictures with them well worth checking out Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked. 850 was outshopped in grey as one would expect and remain that way until repainted in lined CIE green in 1948. (The lining was black and white). The correct shade is as on 800 in Cultra museum. In terms of 800, it should be pointed out that it's in CIE green today, not the lighter GSR green, thus the "G S" markings applied by Cultra to the tender are wrong.

850 was never black. Very few CIE locos were - the majority were plain grey - and those very few that did receive black got it late in steam days - 1955/6 onwards.

Archived