advice on working out scale

I have been seriously considering modelling Worthy Down halt on the DNS near Winchester.

In the book it has a scale drawing of the halt in chains.  If you measure the halt on the drawing, given the scale in the book,  it works out to 8 chains or 528ft given that there are 66ft in a chain.

So if it is the case that it's 4mm to the foot in 00, I worked out that my scale platform length is 2112mm.

Surely this can't be right.. over 2m long!!.  I am now in my 41st year and consider myself still too young to have a really senior moment but I do consider myself to be dire at maths and this is the first time I have tried this, so any help would be gratefully received!!

It is simply the feet divided by 76 therefore 528/76 or  6.947 feet or 176.45 cm

Corrected 6.947 should by x 12 to get inches, then x 25.4 metric conversion....2117.445 cm or 2.117 metre

Stephen,

Bertiedog - the correct number of scaled down feet, but theblack5 has the correct number of mm.

If you have photos of the station including trains how many coaches does it accommodate? A 7 foot model will be something like a 7 coach train (assuming 60-ish foot coaches)

For most of its life, the Didcot Newbury and Southampton Railway was a quiet branch. But in WW2 it was a vital artery for troop movements and was upgraded with longer loops and platforms. On www.old-maps.co.uk you can find a 1964 1:2500 plan - after closure so no tracks,but it shows the platform. That edition of map is marked with 100metre squares, so you can get your scale length. Your original calculation looks about right

Thanks all for getting back!  At least my maths wasn't wrong.. but a scale length platform may have to be reduced slighty to save building and extension!!

I never thought of the OS map Seahorse... great idea! The pictures I have seen show a Collett and 3 coaches with about a 3rd of the platform not used so potentially I suppose about 6-7 coach trains could fit just.  I only work down the road so I will have to nip up with me old meter rule just to be safe!!

4mm scale is actually 1:76.2, hence the discrepancy in the above calculations. 528 feet does not actually seem all all that long. It is only sufficient for a loco and seven or eight coaches - a typical secondary service train.

Our models having to be selectively compressed is a long standing problem....

8 chains seems very long for a "Halt", it would be about long enough for 8 mk1s.

I agree

I've opened another thread about 'overgrown' Halts here to avoid dragging this scale discussion OT.

Incidentally I made Black5's platform length 2112mm too.

I've made myself an A4 sheet length card scale (printed off the computer) marked out in feet at 4mm (00 gauge) scale - it saves a lot of mental arithmetic when marking things out.

I was suspicious that the 8 chains was wrong, but it seems to have been confirmed a couple of times, so that's that...

I tend to work in 40' lengths, which is pretty much 6" in HO. 40' being the length of boxcar I've chosen. When I start to get more modern I'll have to use less convenient 50' (7.5") units...

• RMweb Premium

In the Toronto subway system, the station platforms (which are usually the whole station) are nominally 500 feet long. This took 8 of the original 60' cars or 6 of the newer 80' cars.

Archived