L&B Layout in Narrow Gauge 009

bertiedog

The standard parts for the shed, L-Cut laser cut round top windows, with stone surrounds, and a door for the shed at the back of the loco shed, Peco 2mm stone walling, and 4mm Wills tiling for the roof.

As the sheets are small, I will extend the design with a small workshop and water tank, to increase the length without unsightly joints in the tiles etc, it should take one Manning Wardle or two small locos.  I know Woody Bay had no shed, but it will be useful on the model to fill space, and add extra detailing around it. There is of course a shed there now, till the line is re-instated.

post-6750-0-88438400-1472839727_thumb.jpg

post-6750-0-45031100-1472839888.jpg

Some what along these lines, but far smaller to suit narrow gauge engines

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 3

The Lynton and Barnstaple bogie wagons in grey L&B livery, from Peco, have arrived, in the same post in the end, very nice wagons, lettering nicely clear, well detailed, good running, but a touch light, so will need a metal plate under the load to bring up the weight a bit. Still with the Peco hardlon black plastic wheels, but I will give them a go rather than the expense of changing to metal.

One of the bogie wagons will need a number changed from 22, the 2 could be removed and a letraset 0 added, although it might need trimming a bit with a scalpel to get it to match.....21 might be easier to do.

I doubt I will need more bogie wagons, but I do need vans and open wagons, of which I have some underway as scratch built. There is a Langley brass bogie wagon in storage as well. That one needs new couplings completed in fresh brass parts.

As the L&B stock grows the Lilliput and Roco items will form a euro train to operate over the line.

Stephen

• Like 1

More surface boarding done, now a bit of plastering to even up the surfaces, and landscape around the fixed features already in place.

Station base fits well. but the platform in old ply is going to need a card surface, as some of the scrap ply delaminated, and require new glue which has distorted the surface a bit. I will sand it down, fill any dips, and then use bristol board, (art grade card), to cover the platform surface with the model bricks as an edging on the plywood, the board being the same thickness. The bristol board will need a non water based glue to prevent distortion from any damp, and a full coat of cellulose varnish to waterproof it for the future

One Peco point got accidentally damaged, (repair possible), on the point work at the far end, but I have bought a replacement and will use the other later on after repairs.

On the wood that is to be covered with Tetrion filler plaster, I have painted it with emulsion to help keep any damp out as it sets, and will spray over cellulose lacquer once it's dry and stable.

PVA is a good glue, cheap and strong once set, but it loads up the wood with damp whilst setting. I am trying to source Thixofix glue in larger cans to use more, much quicker and no damp.

Then comes major painting and flocking with grass and wood dust and fitting a surround to the whole edge, matched to the height of the landscape around the board. The general ballasting can be done then, and the detailing of the surfaces with colours and extra textures can be done, trees last of all.

By then maybe Heljan will deliver some locos?

Stephen.

Last track down today, and the cutting assembled for glueing down and plastering. Platforms levelled off, brick edging next, which is a long job with the individual bricks. Drying out a bag of ballast, best used very dry to lay, then fixed with diluted PVA as usual.

Some sections to wire in to a switch panel next to the Gem point levers. All needs connecting up, but has all been test run first.

The layout can then be moved from the assembly jig (ironing board base!), to be wall mounted over an old chest of drawers, to use as storage for the locos and stock. Once there the detailed items can be added, and finally the trees. 

I have cut out a base for the smaller viaduct, to turn the run around 180 deg in the end to arrive at storage yards, then connect with the Lynton end cutting, forming a full loop. This part will be removable for access and will be stored in a cupboard.

The signals are about half completed, no lamps yet, got to trace small Leds that will fit the space, white with gels for colours. SMD types will fit, but fiddly to solder to. The frame can act as earth, with single feeds to the lamp.

One of the last items to be bought in is etched iron fencing, and Coopercraft list the right height type, but wit spear heads, but then I expect the originals were spear anyway, it is only in recent years plain tops have been insisted on for safety. There is about 4 foot of railings needed at both ends of the station.

There is a shed to be built, with corrugated roof for the "car park"(Modern), area, and the small signal box cabin along side the station, from scratch.

I might try a couple of animated figures, station master waving flag, or lady shaking bedclothes from an upper station window!

I have a large store of cast metal figures to add, including a complete Boy Scout troop going off to camp, which will suit the L&B scene fine.

Still have not fond any cheap station gas lamps, so looks like the more expensive Hong Kong ones will be needed.

Stephen

• Like 1

In a desperate manoeuvrer to get some locos moving apart from Skarloey, I have bought a couple of Kato Chassis, 040 tram and Shorty Bo-Bo, both good running with a bit of weight added. Looking to find a vintage style diesel body to fit to the 040, and possibly using the Shorty sawn up to power the old Egger Steam Railcar, as only one bogie is powered, making the conversion quite easy.

Landscaping now underway, and ballasting started at the south end, pictures soon.

Stephen

• Like 2

Layout worked stopped a couple of weeks ago whilst finishing a loco for a friend, but now that is complete, it is back to the landscaping and starting work on the joints to the next sections. I used a lot of thin play under the landscape but ran out, and finished most with stout cardboard or thicker ply. I am using Tetrion filler or equivalent as a plaster, with the top coat pollyfilla flexible ceiling repair paint.

I bought a lot of the cheap matt emulsion paints from Poundland in all the shades they do, excellent stuff for landscaping, much cheaper than Acrylics, although I do use them for adding to other paints to alter the shades etc., and for highlights, and keep large pots of black and white acrylic matt, art grade stuff.

As the grass areas are large I am making a new static sprinkler to handle more widespread application than the current precision one that I built before.

Based on the fly killer static drivers, with tea strainer delivery. Longer grass can be done with the old tube delivery one. All the grass is embroidery/ tapestry wool fibres, cut up myself to several lengths in various mixes of colours. A little very fine flock is added as well to give the best coverage. A modified USB powered mini vacuum is being used to remover excess etc., powered from the train supply transformer. saves using a larger one, with the trailing pipes, and it is easy to remove the flock for reuse.

There is also a Kerr Stuart 060 Diesel from A1 models to build to run on the layout. Not really right for the L&B but is a 1920's product and looks nice and vintage in appearance. It ca run around with so of the new Peco 009 Hopper Wagons that they are about to release in September, along with flats and bolster wagons for maintenance trains.

Work on the viaduct will be later in autumn, gathering up materials first, quite costly for brick work.

Stephen

• Like 1

Not up with Peco's insulated type, only live frog, so no idea whether the blades switch the output or bypass the point,(both ways live) but I know a man who does know.....Peco, the instruction sheet with the point or on the net, or the Technical help people at Beer. Peco also do a full booklet on wiring up all the products.

I suspect no problem will occur if power is feed from one end, that point controlling each siding, and the facing point at the other end will receive power independent on which road is chosen, as dead frog points do not short out when set to the other way through.

• 5 weeks later...

Back on the layout again, now moved in it's entirety to a new position in the railway room, on an old chest of drawers as support, plus extra  legs at each end. With the new location settled it can be landscaped very soon, after comprehensive testing and fitting the buildings and lighting leads.Also layout overall lighting is needed, via mains LED units above the layout, no florescent bulbs this time, but warm white LED and Daylight mixed.

The chest acts as storage, and one of the top drawers contains all the power units and controllers, pull out and ready for use.

Still no news on the L&B from Heljan, getting frustrated rather than worried, maybe in time for Xmas?

Stephen

Back on the layout again, now moved in it's entirety to a new position in the railway room, on an old chest of drawers as support, plus extra legs at each end. With the new location settled it can be landscaped very soon, after comprehensive testing and fitting the buildings and lighting leads.Also layout overall lighting is needed, via mains LED units above the layout, no florescent bulbs this time, but warm white LED and Daylight mixed.

The chest acts as storage, and one of the top drawers contains all the power units and controllers, pull out and ready for use.

Still no news on the L&B from Heljan, getting frustrated rather than worried, maybe in time for Xmas?

Stephen

I do Envy some of you guys I've had to be spending my money on ready to run models from fourdees to being disabled I can't do any fine modelling

No, not a member, I could not travel to shows whilst at work, and these days I cannot travel very far due to illness. I appreciate the societies activities, but would be unable to take part.

Stephen.

I understand that fully the trouble I found is the Sussex group meet in the middle of nowhere and when I emailed to see if there still going because there website looked empty I didn't get a response

• 9 months later...

Well the Woody Bay layout is now going into store or conversion to another use. As of 20/08/2017 it will be mid 2018 before any locos arrive, the first were sold by lottery/ chance/ luck it seems, even with pre-orders, and now it seems they are changing factories as well.

Simply hopeless situation. The stock is not a loss as it could be used with the Bachmann Baldwins, as long as they arrive without issues.

Bertiedog,

I was in Pennine Models a fortnight ago and they had at least a couple of Manning Wardle's for sale, one of each of the L&B and SR liveries were in the display cabinet.

01535 642367

www.penninemodels.co.uk/

Don't know if that's of any use to you?

Best Wishes

Paul

Thanks for the reference, but a bit tied to one supplier as owed money from selling stuff to finance the purchases. Also the later ones may be improved, although I expect all Heljan are doing is transferring the dies etc., to another factory to resume production, rather than start again from scratch. I think I'll wait for the Baldwins to turn up, but I dread the same old problems with the supplies may turn up again.

It is just a nuisance that so much time was spent on detailing Woody Bay.

Stephen.

• 1 year later...

Gents,

Not posted in ages but I have a query. Hope this is an appropriate thread. 

There was a cracking layout doing the rounds a while back, which assumed that the SR kept the L&B open. 

There was an absolutely fantastic Art Deco Southern Railway DMU featured on it.

Tried in vain to find a link to this. One of my friends has recently got well into OO9, and I told him about this lovely set.

I'm almost certain this featured in Railway Modeller? But so far, I've drawn a blank.

Any links or photos much appreciated. 

Cheers

E3109

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, E3109 said:

Gents,

Not posted in ages but I have a query. Hope this is an appropriate thread. 

There was a cracking layout doing the rounds a while back, which assumed that the SR kept the L&B open. 

There was an absolutely fantastic Art Deco Southern Railway DMU featured on it.

Tried in vain to find a link to this. One of my friends has recently got well into OO9, and I told him about this lovely set.

I'm almost certain this featured in Railway Modeller? But so far, I've drawn a blank.

Any links or photos much appreciated. 

Cheers

E3109

Is it the ‘Cliffhanger’ layout you’re thinking off? I seem to recall that having a very stylish chrome coloured DMU?

• Thanks 1

Yes, definitely either County Gate or cliffhanger. Had the privilege of operating them and Bratton Fleming (another layout from the same builder) at various exhibitions.

website for them all is still around at www.009.cd2.com 

Edited by Edge
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...

I've decided to build Lynton Station and have purchased the Bachmann station building but i find the Goods shed and engine shed are not available in this form.

Can i obtain plans for both buildings and from where?

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann building is (despite being a nice model) about a third underscale as I found out when measuring against the L & B Measured and Drawn book. Also its a smaller structure than those at both Lynton and the station that I am currently building ,Blackmoor.

Outback Model Company in Australia make all the buildings for Lynton Station. They are laser cut card kits. I believe the set is about £150 but don't quote me. The Lynton and Barnstaple Measured and Drawn is an awesom book for anyone modelling the L&B. Highly recommended, but expect to pay around the £60 mark.