L&B Layout in Narrow Gauge 009

bertiedog

A few experiments with the Peco/Bemo couplings has revealed that they need no modification at all to work magnetically, by simply adding a neodymium magnet, a 1.5mm x 1.5mm to go in between the hanging arms underneath the coupling, with epoxy glue, making sure one pole faces downwards. It does not even show as modified from the side view.

Instead of trying to attract the coupling, the magnet in the track is set to repel the coupling magnet upwards, in the same way as a mechanical lifter.

It works a treat and seems to work with the various versions of the hook and loop couplings.

The poles can be set with a compass to check the couplings all match. An electromagnet or a fixed neodymium magnet can be used, it repels over a distance of about an inch with a 1cm x1cm cube magnet, and the same can easily be done by a coil electromagnet.

The extra weight of the magnet does not seem to affect the coupling operations, if any thing it makes it a bit more positive.

Under pull any pair remain locked going over the magnet, but a loco with hook only may loose coupling under forward pull, so an electromagnet would be better than fixed, as it can be shut off.

The other way is to set the neo magnet on a rod and raise and lower it by remote cable as required. Lowered it would leave a hole about 4mm across, raised a black stud the same diameter. A simple ramp underneath, pulled back and forth would operate the magnet. The advantage is no power or coil would be needed, just a 4mm hole in between the sleepers, right through the layout to the underside.

Another way would be to use a cam or eccentric on a rotary drive from the control box, which would raise and lower as you twist the rod. This would be more compact.

An electric control could be done with a servo raising and lowering the magnet, power only required to move the servo, no drain as with an electromagnet.

If mechanical raising of the magnet was used then if the couplings refuse to shift magnetically, the stub would strike upwards at the coupling and lift the link in the normal way, freeing sticky couplings.

Some more experiments to do, and get a deal on a quantity of magnets!

Stephen.

• Like 3

Just found some stored away Lilliput four wheeled open goods trucks, OBB from markings, not L&b exactly, but will do for the moment.

Stored from an old continental 009 layout of many years ago. Mine are chocolate brown not brick red, so nearer L&b

post-6750-0-59145400-1470230344.jpg

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

Also just realised from a much closer look at the modern photos of the arrangements at Woody Bay between the goods siding and the station, that the concrete fence and wooden gate are still there, not sure if original nowadays. or not.

Stephen

The extension piece is added and secure, so more track laying around the curve to the bridge, and making the engine shed, (I know there was none there!). The shed uses spare space well, and will look the part. If the Excelsior is built then it can live there as station pilot! It will need a couple of larger blocks of packing poly to make the cutting!

The bridge design I will just have to estimate from the distant views, no close ups seem to be on the net. It can mainly be plywood, with stone and brick poly decorative surfaces. The track still seems to be climbing towards Lynton, I will have to look for an online gradient map and check..

If the Station had been full scale size I would have run out of space within the seven feet, so the size is rally quite useful.

AGAIN, a plea, has anybody got a picture of the bridge in the cutting at Woody Bay.?

Stephen

The new track is down, now back to fitting the full platform surfaces and the base for the Station buildings, then the rising landscape to the board edge, mainly in polystyrene sheet and block from packing foam. This is coated with ceiling plaster paint, which helps with flame suppression in a fire.

The new Gem Lever frame, 4x4 size has arrived in good unused condition, it is the passing contact version if the switches are used, There are 5 points and three signals to cater for, plus doors on the engine shed. Also maybe uncoupling magnets as well.

Stephen.

Not best pleased with Peco at the moment,.......I got out the stored boxed new Peco L&B coaches to make up a test train, they ran all right, very smooth etc, but I went to put them away and noticed a ring of dirt on the tyres, picked up from the new track, and found the wheels on these not inexpensive coaches, are made in nylon or similar black plastic, including a solid axle, all moulded as one wheel unit. They are pin point, and fit the bogie well, but  I thought that plastic wheels had gone out with the ark.

Just what are Peco up to, fitting such old fashioned junk to an expensive new coach? They pick up dirt immediately as I found out.

I had a pack of new Graham Farish wheels, slightly larger diameter, but they fit, with metal wheels and axles, a vast improvement in appearance and running, but after a bit of attention to the overall length of the axle, which is a few thou longer than Peco's axle. The axles were put in the collet lathe and the pinpoint "re-machined" with a fine finish Swiss needle file, to ensure a clean drop into the bearing cups.

But fitting these adds to the already high cost of the coaches, and why should the buyer have to do this work on a new design?

It puts me off the other items in the range, I simply will not have cheap plastic wheels on my layout, they are cheap and nasty and dirt gathering items. I put the issue to Peco in a letter tonight, and I am awaiting the reply with interest.

Stephen

The only possible advantage with the nylon wheelsets is no metal, so no magnetic influences from electromagnets or neodymium magnets used for uncoupling.

I may leave one set in one coach bogie to compare the pick up of dirt and crude from the track with the all metal Graham Farish ones from China.

Apart from the wheels the coaches are very good, although the interior is plain plastic, and desperately needs a decent paint job and figures added to the coach seats.

Lighting would be difficult, even with metal wheels as pickups would be needed, as well as stay on circuitry for Leds. The Farish wheels are insulated on both sides.

It would be possible to fit a lithium battery and a charging socket on the underside, on the brake coach. With a reasonable capacity ex phone sized battery, you could get several hours of full carriage lights before recharging the coach.

Stephen

Stephen.

That's the station building just bought in from Hattons, to fit the layout, a great little model, it's only issue is the size , it is a bit smaller than true scale, but I found it fits well, and looks the part anyway, and the size even helps get a better overall look.

Bachmann are being a bit cunning by not actually calling it Woody Bay Station, .......but, a "Narrow Gauge Station".... but who else used Swiss Chalet designs, but the L&B, and the influence of George Newnes, who referred to the North Exmoor area as "England's Little Switzerland" in his magazines.

Stephen.

• Like 1

General work on landscaping bases for the next few days, up to paint and sawdust surfaces, which will then be painted with thin colour washes before starting the ballasting. Flock etc will be last, with the trees and bushes.

Most wiring is in place, as are the points cables, only the signals to site and make operational. Lighting for the buildings can wait till fitted, wires already fitted, and power supply units in place, 5volts and 12 volts.

Stephen

The details of the bridge at the Lynton end of the Woody Bay Station, in the cutting under the road, still elude me on the net, I even watched the remaining films in case it showed up, is it in the book about the L&B, the one with plans etc?

Some details may be needed or have to be worked out for it very soon, as the end of the board is the bridge.

The line will continue on to another board, but not for some time, only to a yard at the moment.

There are shots of the cutting, but from the road bridge, not towards it, very frustrating.

I hope the Heljan loco turns up soon, but it has been so delayed so far I do not hold out much hope, so may get a kit loco as well, at least the coaches are available along with the stock.

Stephen

Despite the simple nature of the layout there is quite a bit of wiring to connect up and fashion into looms of wiring under the scenery, adding power to signal lamps, platform lamps, building lighting, dead sections, points etc causes quite a mares nest if you not careful. All the cable is ex computer cable scrap, some single wire, some multi strand, all will take the power needed easily. A joints and terminals have heat shrink sleeves, and rubber grommets are used when cable goes through the boards etc.

Because the cable comes in many forms there is no colour coding, so tags are added to the sleeves to identify the wires at both ends. I like to wire up, test, and forget, once it is running.

As it stands it could be converted to DCC at once, no alterations needed. But no plans that way, mainly due to no benefits, and cost, it would add a couple of hundred straight away to the budget.

Stephen

This appears to be the cutting bridge, referred to as Woolhanger lane, which is not shown on the maps. Any way it looks like the cutting and the curve to Lynton looks right, so I will build the bridge to this pattern.....unless others disagree about the right bridge.

post-6750-0-45192000-1470397518.jpg

• Like 1

It is the right bridge, the second bridge under the lane is just visible in the shot. So this bridge is under the A39 road, now I can estimate the size and do a plywood carcase for it The finish must be the usual L&B type, stone and brick. At least it is simpler than the Chelfham Viaduct.

Stephen

Scenecraft have always been a bit more then Hornby, and specials like the Station are sold at a premium. But the detailing is good, the paint good, but it can all be improved a bit more with extra care and attention. Unlike older Hornby the base is fully open to add interiors or lights, given of course, that the walls are thicker than scale.

Rather than permanently glueing it down, it will be attached with neodymium magnets, epoxied inside, with corresponding ones in holes in the board surface, should hold them on firmly, but removable.

Stephen

I dare say it is limited run, but I expect that Bachmann are well aware of the interest in the Heljan 262 L&B locos will cause, and are going to keep it available for some time. It would be nice if they did other stations from the line to match.

A minor problem is the platform edges, they are brick in real life, I assume the current replacements are as per original, stacked sideways along the edge, and how many there are I can only guess.

It could be done with paper chad, cut pieces of paper the size of a brick side, glued on individually, but this would be a nightmare in time to complete. I could change it to flag stones in paper, easier to do.

Is there any other way? I do not want to use printed paper edges, as it is too smooth in appearance.

Casting it in plaster sections would work, but it means a lot of joints that will show, or be difficult to cover up the joints.

Stephen

Apparently Juweela, via A&H Models make H0 sized individual bricks in terracotta colour 2.8 x 1.3 x .8 mm thick, in packs of 6000, or about 480 cm on their side, plus a bit for the glue, each platform is about 80 cm, so 160cm in all, therefore plenty of bricks over.

If I made them from plasticard 1mm sheet it would need 1600 in theory, but a lot of work to cut out in a guillotine or stamper.

The packs are about £12.65, but will provide 4000 scale bricks for the bridges etc., and detailing other brick items

The bricks can be laid on double sided tape at the edge of the platform, the painted with PVA sealer to secure firmly, and then airbrushed black finish as per current bricks at Woody Bay.

Although tedious to do I suspect it would not take long to fit each platform, perhaps in an evening, the main thing is the bricks are supplied ready to fit. An order then, next week, for the bricks.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

Bricks all ordered, so laying the hardboard platform surfaces, with an allowance for the bricks, which may need a card strip under them to get them flush with the platform top, as they are thinner than the hardboard. Once the bricks are down the ballast can be laid through the station.

Some Shire Scenes Etched brass seats on order, LSWR type, and the same as the current ones at the station, also more fire buckets! and a chocolate dispensing machine for the station next to the doors into the booking hall.

I have some Coopercraft etched brass iron railings on order as well, for each side of the station buildings.

Also more Graham Farish wheels to fit to the Peco coaches, they improve the running no end.

Stephen

I think at the rate Heljan is taking to deliver the L&B Locos, and the cost of Peco stock, (not overall, as they are nice items, but are a bit expensive when they are bought over a period), the line may end up with a lot of non L&B stock, especially Lilliput, where some continental items are acceptable to run. I am looking at the Minitrains 262 Baldwin in HO, and the German 080 trench railway loco.

Of course there would be a miss match with the Bachmann 460 trench loco and the H0 Mintrain 262, but being different wheel layouts and the Minitrains being available with a half cab, the differences in scale just make them look different rather than obviously wrong.

Some comments on the net have been made that the Minitrains 080 trench locos are a bit overscale for H0 anyway, but not quite 4mm to the foot, but halfway between H0 and 00.

Stephen

The body of the Brigadelok is very nearly 4mm scale, much closer to 1:76 than 1:87. A coupe of sample measurements I've found: frame length 5060mm, model 65mm = !:78; height rail to cab roof 2540mm, model 33mm 1:77.

Very interesting indeed, it certainly looks a nice loco from photographs, as I have not seen one in shops around here so far. Quite what a German trench loco, a Brigadelok, would be doing in Devon is another matter, but then the L&B had got Swiss Chalet style Stations! A continental loco and a rake of Lilliput sounds the order of the day, arriving a lot sooner than the Heljan! I wish the  Minitrains 262 Baldwin was a bit overscale as well!

How is the running on the Brigadelok?

Stephen

On stock I think I will build some 4 wheeled stock in wood and brass, the wheels from Graham Farish are top quality and not expensive, in spoke and coach disc, so the main issue is making sets of bearings that look right. The floor and sole bars can be in brass sheet, 2mm thick for weight, with strip oak or bass for the woodwork, with plastic strip for strapping, and brass angle for the corners etc.

Four could be made for under the price of one, livery is simple, so a rake of open trucks first, then a rake of the covered wagons. This can start as soon as the layout is running, whilst doing the scenery work.

I have started the trees trunk production, as it takes time to make the armature and coat by dipping the plaster ( art grade, not plain), which is mixed with polyfibre "flock" to bulk and strengthen it. about 20% fibre. Some trees are deciduous, some pine trees. Yet to experiment with the finish on the pines.

Stephen