L&B Layout in Narrow Gauge 009

bertiedog

I wish the  Minitrains 262 Baldwin was a bit overscale as well!

How is the running on the Brigadelok?

The running seems to be good, typical of the new Minitrains range with an upright flywheel fitted motor in the cab. The Baldwin 2-6-2T goes the other way in term of scale, very close to a true-scale H0 model which would make it a 2' 6" gauge conversion, I guess!

Good luck with the stock building. It sounds a good plan!

The main problem with the stock is the under frames, I may do some made in etched brass for consistency, perhaps by paint spraying etch resist paint via a mask stencil to save photo etching. Axles boxes could be added by soldering on. !mm brass could be used, although there is a lot of undercutting at this thickness, which would need filing each edge, but not much work for a low quantity.

The van and the wagon seem to share the basic underframe.

Some N gauge archbar trucks could be pressed into use on the bogie wagons, I wonder who does them as separate items, Kato? Farish?

Stephen

Looks like N Scale American Trains in the UK can supply all the trucks and also Microtrain couplers included, also a better range of wheels than Farish, with one side live for power pickups on coaches..... back to the plan to light the Peco L&B coaches. The wheels cost less than Farish and are in 12's not ten packs.

The trucks are N scale, but close to 4mm narrow gauge size, if a bit shorter.

Stephen.

The Jaweela ceramic bricks have arrived, for the platform edging, so fitting ply for the surface, then some paper/card under the edge to make up the thickness of the bricks, and get the top level with the platform surface.

The bricks are so small, I think they might as well lay flat, rather than edge on, as the edge has "draw" from the moulds, and would leave too rough a edge with out sanding of the drawn edge.

The faces are perfect, just on 4mm scale bricks as these are not the smallest Jaweela do, which are H0 scale brick. Even with the faces up, it is going to take a few hours to complete the edgings.

The platform surface is 3mm plywood, glued down, with screws as well, that can have stopping filler over them to hide them.

Once the bricks are in place and the glue dry, the ballast through the station can be laid, dry, then soaked in PVA with detergent added.

Back to the assembly......

Stephen

I have given in on the bridge as there was a Woodland Scenics HO round top tunnel portal that is pretty much the same as the bridge, on Ebay, so bought it. In hard grade plaster, it can be modified to reduce the height a bit, the width is a bit bigger than scale estimates, but acceptable.

Saves a lot of work, nice quality item. The top course could be replaced with the Juweela Bricks to be closer to the L&B designs

post-6750-0-63895100-1470832597.jpg

Stephen

• Like 2

Another bogie coach for the line, an Ashover bogie Coach, with side seating, in a Meridian Kit in plastic, but with metal wheels and bogies from Dundas. Probably needs a bit of weight added with a brass plate floor, and might need the bogies recessed a bit to lower the coach a bit for the L&B.

post-6750-0-38120500-1470833888.jpg

From Ashover Archive

Stephen

• Like 2

I had a very curious feeling about the Ashover kit, all sealed in the original bag, with the fold over top, no replaced staples etc, all parts there when opened, but no roof or glazing, and the bag is too small to take them!

No real worry as glazing is easy to find, and I do not like plastic glued on roofs anyway, may do one in nickel silver instead, adding a bit of weight as well, and allowing the metal ventilators to be soldered on, not glued.

Are Meridian Models still made I wonder?, might try to get more.

Stephen

Although Meridian ceased trading last year, Parkside Dundas have then listed at present, they cost a bit more than from Ebay, I may get another to make a sort of set, running with a goods van as L&B did.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

I had a very curious feeling about the Ashover kit, all sealed in the original bag, with the fold over top, no replaced staples etc, all parts there when opened, but no roof or glazing, and the bag is too small to take them!

No real worry as glazing is easy to find, and I do not like plastic glued on roofs anyway, may do one in nickel silver instead, adding a bit of weight as well, and allowing the metal ventilators to be soldered on, not glued.

Are Meridian Models still made I wonder?, might try to get more.

Stephen

You've made me check the Ashover kits I picked up at Chapel-en-le-Frith a couple of years ago.  They do include a roof, but it's just a piece of 20 thou plasticard bent to shape, no injection moulded roof here.  As you say, it would have to be replaced anyway.

Meridian Models range was broken up when the previous owner retired, their plastic rolling stock kits went to Narrow Planet, details here https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/rolling-stock-kits, but unfortunately that coach kit is currently sold out.  I've no doubt it will reappear again at some point in the future, but I suppose the message is if you want them, buy them while you can.

Regards

Moxy

The coach went together very well in one evening, even the bogies, a bit basic, but work, and have decent metal wheels.. Still to add the brake standard and pipes to the bogie and end, may change the brake standard to brass for a bit more strength.

The Ashover bogie coach is about 3mm higher than the L&B, but the pivot for the bogie can have a bit removed to lower it by 1mm or  so, more would need the floor recessed, or new slim bogies, maybe micro trains N gauge with knuckle couplings supplied.

post-6750-0-50531700-1470919792_thumb.jpg

A little can be sanded down around the top edge of the body, about a mm, and a thin roof will help just take off a bit of height. Once the glue is really hard, the edges can be sanded to remove flash and moulding marks etc.

Although the windows are small, the end windows add light, and some of the side windows can be modelled down or half down, which helps show the passengers and seating.

The kit had been got at before repacking it, as with the missing roof and glazing, there was an extra sprue unrelated to the kit, from a Knightwing moulding, included!!

I would only require one more for a "set", the coaches had no guards section, they stood in the vestibule ends

The overall plan is to stick with L&B for scenery and basic stock, and have several trains of other lines stock and locos to run on it....until Heljan deliver...Grrrr...

Also wondering about motorising the Oxford 240 Isle of Man loco......an excuse for a couple more coaches, maybe.......

Stephen

• Like 3

The joint to the two foot extension of the main board has proved problematic, not strong enough, so adding some steel repair plates to each side to ensure it can take handling, as the layout may need to be stored vertically, standing on one end or the other. The joint creaked a bit as it was moved. and strained a bit to test the joint. which is permanent though. The next section will be joined with conventional joint with a break in the track.

Found two stored away Langley kits for the coaches, quite a bit of work to construct, but there is a bogie good wagon all soldered up ready to paint as well.

Stephen

Also in the post, two sets of two LSWR seat etchings from Shirescences, (Dart Castings),S1V, which include barrows on the etch,,so this should cover the main platform, and outside the Station building under cover of the roof.

However I seem to have acquired two parrots as well, complete with brass cage, as extras on the brass etching plate! I think they will be hung under the roof edge near the signal cabin, rather than being in transit.....Norwegian Blues perhaps????

There is also a nice Dart Casting Chocolate machine to stand by the main ticket hall doors, nice quality casting.

The seats will be soldered up in a small jig, to get them all four identical in finish and size. the barrows are a simple fold a solder job, but the wheels are double etchings to line up and solder, again on a simple jig.

I really need another couple of seats as well, but the major consideration  is..........  do I need another parrot in a cage?

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 1

Despite the scaling down of the size of the Woody bay station in the Scenecraft model, the sizes of the seats and the chocolate machine are correct against it, showing the sizes of the doors etc are scale, or very near. it is just the length and height that has been reduced.

Figures look fine against it, both Monty and Stadden, although the Langley are a bit more variable in height and come with awkward poses unless a touch of tweaking is done. At least with white metal they can be adjusted easily by bending or dabs of low melt to correct things.

The seats, having very delicate legs, will have soldered on brass dress pins added to the legs bottom, to actually hold them down to the platform surface.

The same can be done for the trolleys and luggage barrows, or neo magnets could be used to allow several positions to be used, with a small buried magnet at each site. The figures could be fitted this way as well, as tiny magnets are now made that could replace a foot, held on with epoxy glue.

There is a Sleeping Porter to fit to one bench, complete with Monty's model Irate Woman passenger poking him with her brolly.

I will fit a figure with a flag at the platform edge and animate him to wave a flag for departure, a small circuit with a 555 timer can run a solenoid to pull his arm, no need for a mechanical connection, the coil can repel a small magnet to do the raising waves, just needs his arm in a good free moving pivot. A whistle sound could be added perhaps......

Stephen.

A small extra to do, shorten the Dart Castings Chocolate Machine, it is TALL, about 6foot 6inch, and against the sub 4mm scale station it looked very big indeed, but curable with surgery to bring it down a bit. From memory I thought most of the machines were about 5 foot high, to make the slit usable by kids, and to allow money to be put in the slot. As it is white metal it will solder back together with low melt perfectly, with a reduced plinth. If it still looks odd I will wall mount it with no base.

Stephen

After working on some details, including two parrots, it is back to legs etc for the layout, which is designed to rest on a chest of drawers, with extensions each side that need legs in pine made. The board is really solid, but better safe than sorry, and support will be provided by the legs.

The next item is the Chalfham Viaduct, shrunk a bit like the Woody Bay station.

The Locos are promised by November/December now......I hope!

Another chore is to paint a background for Woody bay, based on photos of Exmoor and the real views to the north, executed in acrylic in an airbrush, over traced or printed guide drawings. Fortunately the background in mainly sky at a natural viewing angle.

Stephen.

Next week then, for the L&B Bogie goods wagon from Peco to be available, on order from Hattons. I have a brass Langley version to paint and finish as well, and working on three scratchbuilt 4w vans and wagons.

Still December for the Locos though to haul them.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

Slight change, as I found there is a resin cast L&B bridge casting set made and sold on ebay, so using it as the bridge at the Lynton end. It has a curved brick course rather than straight, but it little matters.

post-6750-0-02600300-1471995858.jpg

Nicely detailed it comes unpainted as resin cast components.

Stephen.

• Like 2

The kit is very nice, a seller who makes just a few items apparently, and supplied the Peco reference number for the N gauge stone work used in the master for the resin castings. I have ordered a few sheets to use for the bridge interior section and roof. The size of the stone work is just right for 4mm L&B stone work.

The top parapet is double sided, and the back has a shelf for a road surface, if two kits are used, to make a stand alone bridge, but mine is an exit from the board. It will have a section of road over it though, just to blend it all in.

In clearing out the workshop I found a started layout in 009, an industrial scene and factory, that was never built.

I will now complete the micro layout and connect it to the L&B as a branch line. It is about 3x1, but needs a lot of track made for it in PC Code 40 to look like industrial sectional track. I have the rail, 2mm code 40, and have ordered some PC strip to make sleepers for the track and points. Every 4th sleeper will be PC, the rest wood (oak) strip, with all PC on points.

It can be the home for non L&B classes of locos, but provide a source of goods traffic to the L&B, I will make it separate to allow it to be displayed etc.

Might fiddle with the plan a bit to get better operation, at least the points will not be expensive to make and will work! I will ease the radius on the points to a larger radius, rather than matching or smaller than the Peco crazy track sizes,

Stephen.

I got the pack of so called N gauge 2mm scale Peco moulded plastic stone work sheet, Peco number NB40 in the post, supplied very quickly indeed by return, and it is perfect for 4mm stone walls, as shown by the supplier of the L&B bridge, who used it on the masters for the resin casts.

Quite why they rate it as 2mm scale is odd, the blocks would be very big in 2mm.

Anyway it's texture is close enough to the Scale scenes L&B stations slightly more ragged stone courses, to be used for a loco shed at the Lynton end, where the current one is, but of course none on the original. It will just be one track, two engines, with working doors, and a small workshop attached and made from the Peco sheet, which I expect are made by Wills for them. 4x5in by 2in sheets in the packs, so another 2 packs will more than cover it, plus a bit of spare for walls and outhouses around the sheds.

I will get some laser cut arch top window frames to suit as well, and some roof tiling in 4mm scale. The doors can be operated by a servo on a driver circuit.

Stephen

The kit is very nice, a seller who makes just a few items apparently, and supplied the Peco reference number for the N gauge stone work used in the master for the resin castings. I have ordered a few sheets to use for the bridge interior section and roof. The size of the stone work is just right for 4mm L&B stone work.

The top parapet is double sided, and the back has a shelf for a road surface, if two kits are used, to make a stand alone bridge, but mine is an exit from the board. It will have a section of road over it though, just to blend it all in.

I came across these a couple of days ago too. Apparently profits go to the L&BR.

Nearly all the major work is now done on the boards and track, so onwards with the scenery and landscaping, along with detailing the station and building the small loco shed. This will be done with the Peco 2mm stone walling, to match the resin cast bridge, with round top windows and stone surrounds, from the L-cut laser cut range. These are very fine standard, better than scratch made units. I found they can be made very durable indeed with a couple of coats of Shrinking dope cellulose varnish. It soaks into the card they use, and strengthens the fine glazing bars

I have ordered in more sheets of the Peco stone plastic sheet (they come in 5x2) and moulded tile sheets as well for the roof. Very fine trim can be made from plasticard, and the Jawela individual bricks, with wooden doors in oak planking, fully opening twin doors, with a servo drive, a cheap mini servo from China. I have built a simple variable PWM driver to move the door servo, only switched on to move it, then shut off. The servo does hunt for a moment as the circuit is reconnected, but it merely shakes the door slightly, and fairly realistically. The same driver circuit will be used for the signals later on, just switching it through to each function as needed. The door mechanism  is already made to fit the shed as and when built.

The small cutting section between the platforms end and the road bridge is going in today, made of blocks of styrene packing waste, covered with card, polysheet and plaster paint, over domestic tissue, or walling poly sheet. It is not a large area, so not much extra support needed, other than the basic expanded poly block, trimmed to shape.

I will use the cast resin abutments to the stone bridge, they are not on the real bridge at this location, but will help support the various elements of the cutting better. The road above will be there just for display, maybe a vehicle on it, or sightseers.

The final bits of the plywood platforms have to be laid, not sure about the finish on the far side, grass these days, was it ever tarmac?

The wiring is mainly done on board, the off board switch unit has still to be built for switching sections in the station loop..

Cable has been added to the underside of the boards for power to lights etc. I still cannot find fine scale street lamps for the platform, may have to order more expensive type and alter the height a bit. Most cheap Hong Kong types are overscale in 4mm and the tops are not well moulded, or come with bulbs, not LED's, which are far more reliable. All the track and points work fine, with several test locos and various Kato power units.

more coming, Stephen

• Like 5