Gantsville - my first foray into US outline modelling

NickBrad

Is that the 15 ton mack?

Nah, it's one of these, the issue being, it's currently out of stock at Walthers and I don't know if it's possible to get one ordered or indeed if I could get it ordered via Model Junction or if my order would have to be direct from the states.

A mixture of Brass and whitemetal, yes. I guess when it comes down to it, I wouldn't be overly bothered if it was a static model, I just know that i'll always have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind until I get one having found that one on google maps

Well, the goodies above have arrived.

MJ_box.jpg

MJ_Contents.jpg

The crossing signs are tiny! I guess I should have expected this and I kind of did, but with my current skill set, I really don't think I could have scratch built these and with the cost, I am really happy I went with the off the shelf option. 

The point switches are marvels of miniature engineering. I was trying to figure out how to engineer one of these myself as I didn't particularly like the idea of importing from the US and potentially incurring import costs on such a small item, but when I saw that Model Junction had these in stock, I didn't hesitate to change my plans. They will need a little bit of work to use with Code 100 points, (especially mine which have the tabs cut off, isn't hindsight beautiful,) but I see no reason why I can't have them both installed within an hour. I do want to get my two remaining spurs painted and laid first though. I will also look at making a slight modification to give them modern handles that you'd typically see on US railroads. 

Edited by NickBrad

Since you cut the tabs off your switches already, you might think about putting the ground throws along the front edge of the layout and running pushrods under the scenery to the switch.  You can see some pictures of Mike McNamara's layout where he's done this.  Keeps the oversize ground throws out of the scene but still accessible so you still get to "hand throw" the switch like the real thing while preserving the scale elements within the scene.

http://mainecentral.blogspot.com/2014/12/morrisville-scenery.html

This pic shows a similar installation sans scenery so you can see where the layout builder "trenched" the scenery base to run the extensions from the ground throws to the switches.

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/dwyaneward/media/4switcher/DSCF0198_1.jpg.html

The rest of the under construction photos of this layout.  

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/dwyaneward/library/4switcher?sort=3&page=1

There's been many articles in the magazines over the years and if you need access to one of them, let me know.  Might take me a day or two to come up with it but I most likely have about any article you might need in my collection.

Jason C

Indiana

• Like 1

That's certainly a very viable option and with the baseboard being high density foam, very easy to carve a trench out of, however in my particular case, there is a gravel roadway that goes right along the front of the board. After looking at those pictures I walked over to the board and moved the ground throw over to the front to see how it would look. To include the full movement, I'd have to further compress the scenic elements by an inch which I am unsure if I want, (or even can,) to do at this stage, but i will certainly keep the option open. 

The prefect scenario would have been to have scale, working ground throws, but they just aren't in my budget.

• 2 months later...

Holy smoke, he's back!

Well, kind of anyway. To be honest, I stepped away for a while for a couple of reasons, one, I, like many people, seem to take on more outdoor type pursuits in the summer weather and two, I knew that I had an impending back operation that would take away that freedom for a while and so I wanted to savour it, while it lasted. 
Said operation has now taken place, (a microdisectomy and forminotomy for those who wish to go look up a video,) and now I find myself in recovery mode with 4-6 weeks of not being able to do much physically, but I am hoping to be able to do the odd bit of modelling sat down. The main plans are to get to work on the pullman coach that I outlined earlier in the thread and the Bowser boxcar kit that sits here. By the time they are completed, (structurally at least,)  I can hopefully progress on to the loco repaints and board scenery. Between those and catching up on the forum, I think I have a couple of months of fun ahead, not to mention physio stuff and a bit of train sim to relax with.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Zomb,

Want to run brass Wire-in-tube from turnout to edge-of-layout, but concerned that this would put the CI groundthrow right in the middle of a road?

No problem...

intersection.jpg

points1.jpg

points2.jpg

The truck as shown lifts straight-up and away from the groundthrow as required,
(the LED "pins" plug into brass tubes "sockets" mounted either side of the groundthrow),

but I'm sure the gathered luminaries here would find it a doodle to anchor the truck to the road-surface by the rear axle,
thus making it a faster-access/re-hide "flip up" groundthrow access cover...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

• Like 3

Seems complicated - Just attach the wire to the truck and use that as the throw ;)

I've decided to go with using my finger/ uncoupling stick on the blades, to be honest, as all turnouts are easily accessible.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been out of hospital for a while and today, decided to get the trackwork finally put to bed in regards to wiring and sticking it down. I will say one thing, Copydex is stinky stuff. 

Track_gluing.jpg

Edited by NickBrad
  • Like 1

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for the terrible lighting, but I wanted to show that I am continuing work, rather than just a single brief spurt then leaving again for months....

Railroad_crossing.jpg

Here I am installing the guide rails that can be seen in the road crossing at Taylorsville, NC, which is what my model is very loosely based upon scenically.

There has also been work on the landscape using paper covered polystyrene. I know a lot of people prefer plaster soaked bandages, but i went for the PVA soaked paper for 2 reasons, 1) it's what I had to hand and I didn't want to waste my enthusiasm to progress and 2) I'm always looking to do things cheaply if possible due to a low income and this fitted the bill. 

Edited by NickBrad
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
 I went to the TVNAM show last weekend in Handsacre and whilst there made a few purchases to extend my rolling stock, plus also found some Preiser figures which will be great for railroad workers. 

cattle_wagon.jpg

An Athearn yellow box stock car which needs the trucks assembling and couplings sourced, I would like to find some metal wheelsets first though and there touch up the odd spot of flaked off paint. 

BN_reefer.jpg

An Athearn Roundhouse model, I have no practical use for a reefer, but wanted one and for £10, I figured why not. 

ATSF_boxcar.jpg

One for Rob, an Athearn blue box this time, sees ATSF represented with a 50ft boxcar.

Preiser_figures_800.jpg

The aforementioned figures. More than I'd normally pay, but exactly what I needed. If I can find one or 2 seated figures for engineers, I'm good.

Just before the show, I also spent some time browsing ebay for bargains and although not the steal of the century, £8.01 including postage saw me double up on unneeded reefers.

CNW_reefer.jpg

CNW_reefer2.jpg

Unsuitable for running with the other one and both longer than planned for my shunting puzzle, this Atlas model is nonetheless a smooth roller. 

I have also been buying up some cheap chinese trees to fill out the scenery, but at just 85mm, I am undecided on them. I'll probably mix them in with some homebrewed examples made from florist wire.

Edited by NickBrad
  • Like 2

Moving on with my wire tree attempts, I decided to try something I have seen on youtube and elsewhere, but always put off trying myself, despite having all the items to hand. 

So, I pulled out my old blender, (not used for food consumption due to using a plastic bodied jug to crush ice, which damaged the ribs inside and cracked around the base, although it doesn't leak,) mixed up some cheap acrylic paint in some water and cut up some cheap sponges, (after removing the scourers). Into the blender they went, and below you can see the results.

fall_scatter.jpg

Here I used a mix of yellow ochre on blue sponge, (do NOT use blue sponge would be my advice as it doesn't take the colour very well,) and then orange on yellow sponge. The orange may be a little too bright, but I think it will be ok in moderation for an Autumn/fall colour.

summer_scatter.jpg

This I am more happy with, a mix of red and yellow sponges I think this was with green paint, which I then part way through blending though was a little bright so I squirted a bit of brown poster paint into the blender. What I ended up with was this lovely 2 tone stuff that I think I will add to my chinese trees to introduce a bit of variety to the dark single colour tone, as well as my own trees. 

I do want to try making a dark green foliage using some nettle dye, will have to see how that goes though when I have some more sponges to go at. (As an aside, the scourers won't be wasted, torn apart into "layers", they will provide a good base draped over the branches for the scatter to affix to.)

Edited by NickBrad
  • Like 1

Preiser%20figures_800_zpsotlfezsu.jpg

The aforementioned figures. More than I'd normally pay, but exactly what I needed. If I can find one or 2 seated figures for engineers, I'm good.

Nick, my guess is that you are looking for something like these

post-6688-0-27169100-1498664810.jpg

Where you will get them I don't know but KATO USA may be worth a try

Thanks, i'll keep an eye out now I know Kato do them.

In slightly unrelated topic, I'm thinking for a bit of fun, recreating this in HO, although I can't work out the best base for it. The chassis looks like a steam loco, so I'm going to disregard that part and concentrate on the body.

https://images.scribblelive.com/2017/3/8/143815a1-3bcf-4e99-81a4-cc399e067a77_800.jpg

Edited by NickBrad

Picked up a couple of items today from an ebay seller 3 miles away, rather than pay postage, I just go collect. She does have unrealistic expectations on a Triang Connie, but overall, some bargains to be had. Take a look at  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Walkers-Antique-Collectables?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

My first purchase, one I had originally glossed over and ruled out as I wasn't sure what it was, was a Marx Gondola for £1.49

I watched it go by 3 times without selling, before a casual google search suggested it was american outline, from as early as 1956. Now, I'm pretty sure it isn't that old, that's tin plate era, but nonetheless, it's certainly vintage and now I don't know whether to just make a removable load to cover the weight rivetted inside or go to town and bring it right up to date with wire handrails, wheels etc.

The second item is a Triang Transcontinental dome car, spurred by a bid on a dummy transcontinental loco from the same seller, plus a silver TC passenger coach to go with them, which is due to finish this weekend. Suffice to say I didn't win the loco or I'd be showing it off here, but the coach is a fixer upper and shouldn't look too out of place is a rake of matched coaches when I buy them.

Sorry that the pictures are links, it seems photobucket is putting the kibosh on external hosting of pictures for free acounts, so I am having to host from my google drive and RMweb doesn't like those links, (although the other forum I use is fine).

• 6 months later...

Hi all, it's been way too long since I updated this thread, something I need to rectify, also, I need to fix all the borked photothiefit picture links. 

Anyway, I am still in the US modelling scene and I have recently dug out the Bowser kit I have of a 40' PRR X31a boxcar. Now, plans were always to just construct this and use it to bolster my existing fleet of models, but as it turns out, I have enough cars already to work Gantsville as an Inglenook. So, with that in mind, plus the fact I have been reading a few articles by Marty McGuirk on prototype modelling, I decided I'd rather super detail this and turn it into a usable, yet attractive model. The issue of course is that the boxcar was built in 1934 and I don't model that era or anywhere close to that. I'd like to model it in 1970s or 80s, but I need to find evidence of one still existing in this time period, (40 years is a long time for a 40' boxcar). Can anyone point me in the right direction, aimless googling just brings up hundreds of shots of the kit and not prototype pictures.

Hi all, it's been way too long since I updated this thread, something I need to rectify, also, I need to fix all the borked photothiefit picture links. 

Anyway, I am still in the US modelling scene and I have recently dug out the Bowser kit I have of a 40' PRR X31a boxcar. Now, plans were always to just construct this and use it to bolster my existing fleet of models, but as it turns out, I have enough cars already to work Gantsville as an Inglenook. So, with that in mind, plus the fact I have been reading a few articles by Marty McGuirk on prototype modelling, I decided I'd rather super detail this and turn it into a usable, yet attractive model. The issue of course is that the boxcar was built in 1934 and I don't model that era or anywhere close to that. I'd like to model it in 1970s or 80s, but I need to find evidence of one still existing in this time period, (40 years is a long time for a 40' boxcar). Can anyone point me in the right direction, aimless googling just brings up hundreds of shots of the kit and not prototype pictures.

http://prr.railfan.net/freight/classpage.html?class=X31

shows 176 X31a boxcars still on the PRR roster in 1968 - so not too big a leap to have one in MOW or stores use in the mid 70's - the latest built ones wouldn't have hit the 40 year rule until 1976 so theoretically could still be in interchange service until then.

Cheers Paul.......

http://prr.railfan.net/freight/classpage.html?class=X31

shows 176 X31a boxcars still on the PRR roster in 1968 - so not too big a leap to have one in MOW or stores use in the mid 70's - the latest built ones wouldn't have hit the 40 year rule until 1976 so theoretically could still be in interchange service until then.

Cheers Paul.......

couple of pics from the late 70's

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1617279

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=738910

Oh wow, thanks for those, that first picture was actually 1987 so that justifies my excuse to have it, (albeit in local use only by then). 

The only thing I cannot decide upon is whether to try replicate the reddish colour by repainting, (then need replacement decals which I will then ruin for the most part,) or to compromise and settle for the brown moulded colour with weathering. My heart says the former, my head says stick with the latter for this car and then work up to it on future kits, (if I can find some at reasonable price).