C&L Finescale

Andy Y

Paul

Far more relevant being on its own page. And I am a modeller who uses Exactoscale products

In the past prior to Exactoscale using C&L as a distributor there was good relations between goth companies, in fact a certain amount of cooperation between them

I do hope this is not a start of anything different

Joihn,

Posted here only because the thread (I've been following it since the outset) has ranged across the availability of C&L, Exactoscale, both and neither products!

No offence or ill intent intended to any party involved...

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Joihn,

Posted here only because the thread (I've been following it since the outset) has ranged across the availability of C&L, Exactoscale, both and neither products!

No offence or ill intent intended to any party involved...

Cheers

Paul

They were mentioned together mainly as C&L were initially supplying, then ceasing to supply Exactoscale products. Which I think is fine

Now they are separate concerns attaching a competitors advert on a thread about them I think is out of order, especially as the quote (and previous announcements) have been mentioned before and the posters did the correct thing by using a link to said announcements

It would be very inflammatory if someone wrote on the Exactoscale thread come to C&L

• RMweb Gold

Now they are separate concerns attaching a competitors advert on a thread about them I think is out of order

Hi John,

This is RMweb. Anyone can write whatever they like in any topic, if it's within the RMweb rules. If Paul has broken the advertising rule, that would be the case whichever topic he posted in.

Topics do not "belong" to anyone (that's what the blogs are for), and this one certainly isn't by, with or from C&L. It's simply RMweb members writing about them.

Martin.

Martin

I do accept that people can write what they like, within reason. However in a civilised society there are both written rules and unwritten protocol that most of us follow. Now when posters have vested interests in the subject/topic it is my belief extra care must be taken

You yourself have posted this information previously and in what I now believe a very careful and considerate manner by using a link. So it has already been reported, it’s old news! The Scalefour Society also listed the same statement on the Exactoscale thread. By all means inform customers of your intentions and in my opinion their own thread was the correct place to do so.

Nothing to do with freedom of speech or views.

They were mentioned together mainly as C&L were initially supplying, then ceasing to supply Exactoscale products. Which I think is fine

Now they are separate concerns attaching a competitors advert on a thread about them I think is out of order, especially as the quote (and previous announcements) have been mentioned before and the posters did the correct thing by using a link to said announcements

It would be very inflammatory if someone wrote on the Exactoscale thread come to C&L

I can see in hindsight how feathers might have been inadvertently ruffled by the posting, but I am sure what you infer wasn't the intent.

There have been a number of posters on the thread keen to know when and where there might be availability of some of the Exactoscale products and I read the posting primarily as advising that some stock would be available at the show ahead of regular availability through the EM gauge and S4 stores.

So not so much 'come to Exactoscale instead of C & L' but rather if you are seeking Exactoscale it will be available here. 

Martin

I do accept that people can write what they like, within reason. However in a civilised society there are both written rules and unwritten protocol that most of us follow. Now when posters have vested interests in the subject/topic it is my belief extra care must be taken

You yourself have posted this information previously and in what I now believe a very careful and considerate manner by using a link. So it has already been reported, it’s old news! The Scalefour Society also listed the same statement on the Exactoscale thread. By all means inform customers of your intentions and in my opinion their own thread was the correct place to do so.

Nothing to do with freedom of speech or views.

I see nothing wrong with posting the Paul Willis announcement , this is not C&Ls thread John, it’s a discussion in very general terms about C&L by third parties.

Cross posting is a fact of life on boards , so what

I suggest that you have been a faithful supporter of phil, and I have no issue with that , but before you raise the flag of accusing “ vested interests “ I suggest you consider your own position and posts , or is it that supporters aren’t vested interests but competitors are :D

C&L s troubles are of its own making , however you look at it , were it a slick and efficient operation backed by a chorus of satisfied customers , I suspect we wouldn’t be discussing anything here or any Exactoscale “ announcements “

Let’s be honest with ourselves here , the transfer and take up of the business has been awful , sure Phil is learning , but lying on the ground getting repeatedly kicked ceases to be very educational after a very short while . You have to get up and fix it

• Like 1

I see nothing wrong with posting the Paul Willis announcement , this is not C&Ls thread John, it’s a discussion in very general terms about C&L by third parties.

Cross posting is a fact of life on boards , so what

I suggest that you have been a faithful supporter of phil, and I have no issue with that , but before you raise the flag of accusing “ vested interests “ I suggest you consider your own position and posts , or is it that supporters aren’t vested interests but competitors are :D

C&L s troubles are of its own making , however you look at it , were it a slick and efficient operation backed by a chorus of satisfied customers , I suspect we wouldn’t be discussing anything here or any Exactoscale “ announcements “

Let’s be honest with ourselves here , the transfer and take up of the business has been awful , sure Phil is learning , but lying on the ground getting repeatedly kicked ceases to be very educational after a very short while . You have to get up and fix it

Firstly if you here read my posts I have been championing the Exactoscale products more than anyone, and like most As it happens the Exactoscale partners are an innocent party. Please note the C&L thread is in the Small suppliers section not a general section. So are we to expect rival businesses to announce their products on rivals thread !!

This press release is old news, has been well documented on this and two other threads plus Eaxctoscale has its own dedicated thread in which this statement was posted again at the same time. Old news just being recycled

I like many other modellers assist traders at shows, so yes I have a vested interest like Mr Willis, I am happy to post on both threads however, but I am careful not to tread on anyone’s toes. Since the separation my support for Exactoscale remains on the Exactoscale site. Perhaps an old fashioned view, but that’s the way I have been bought up

You have hit C&L’s issues on the head, it was the transfer of the business (stock&website) by the previous owner, again the resulting issues should have been handled better, we been there discussed it. Where possible I helped sort a few bits out

Still C&L will be at Scaleforum selling their own products as well as a selection of other products. Most forms of payment accepted

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

I think there is a risk of a mountain being created out of a mole hill here. All I see are people trying to keep other people informed (with a little bit of divergence into various track standards) into obtaining, what is at the moment some difficult to get hold off  track building components.

P

• Like 1

I think there is a risk of a mountain being created out of a mole hill here. All I see are people trying to keep other people informed (with a little bit of divergence into various track standards) into obtaining, what is at the moment some difficult to get hold off  track building components.

P

Porcy Main

I am amazed you think it’s perfectly acceptable for one trader to advertise their products on a thread dedicated to their competitor. I would have agreed with you if it was a general track building thread.

There now no issues in obtaining in stock C&L products and Exactoscale products have not been available from C&L for 6+ weeks. There is a dedicated thread dedicated to Exactoscale products. Which is where I would look for their information

I'm amazed you think it was an advertisement.

No different to the up and coming Bachmann Class 24 being mentioned in the SLW Class 24 thread or the Hornby/Dapol J94/Austerity Tank being discussed in the DJM J94 thread.

No different to someone posting that Eileen's is out of 2mm Brass bar but no worries, it can still be had from Hobby Holidays.

It's a forum, it happens.

I fear you may be using your shovel to hard and raising the height of your spoil heap unnecessarily.

Still good to hear that C&L is now firing on all cylinders and the C&L range is fully available again.

P

I am amazed you think it’s perfectly acceptable for one trader to advertise their products on a thread dedicated to their competitor. I would have agreed with you if it was a general track building thread.

There now no issues in obtaining in stock C&L products and Exactoscale products have not been available from C&L for 6+ weeks. There is a dedicated thread dedicated to Exactoscale products. Which is where I would look for their information

Not everyone is as connected to this thread as you are. I for instance have cut down my RMweb reading to selected followed topics, only occasionally checking headlines for the rest. There may yet be people who had not received the news that Exactoscale products have been 'de-merged', and would still expect enquiries to be handled under the 'C&L' heading. When they do learn of the change, questions are bound to follow shortly thereafter. Flymo's post in effect says to anyone attending the next major finescale gathering in the calendar "There is a stand dedicated to Exactoscale products. Which is where you should look for their information". 

Thus probably sparing Phil some tedious, non-productive and possibly embarrassing repetitions of the status quo.

The Nim.

I think it doesn't take much effort to (1) look back over the past few pages to realise that C&L are no longer an Exactoscale supplier, or (2) notice that in the small suppliers forum there is a topic not far down the page that is already devoted to Exactoscale track components, and if that was something I wanted to know about would be the obvious place to look.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I always thought Phil Reid and Andrew Jukes looked good in black eyeliner. 

Apparently the S4 exhibition committee have banned trebuchets and mud pies from this year's Scaleforum.

Has such weaponry been at previous Scaleforum? If they have I am sad to say that I have missed seeing them, which is a great pity as I'm quite interested in such things.

A.R. Moury.

• RMweb Gold

Apparently the S4 exhibition committee have banned trebuchets and mud pies from this year's Scaleforum. 

Before the Silly Season ends and Parliament returns, in the true tradition of RWweb I am going completely  :offtopic:

Apparently the Trebuchet was not only used for hurling rocks at castles but also for sending dodgy meat to the besieged population in an attempt to spread disease. The favourite appears to have been pigs as they were considered to be more aerodynamic than sheep or cows and the meat rotted quicker.

Perhaps the origin of 'Pigs flying?'

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

….the Trebuchet was not only used for hurling rocks at castles but also for sending dodgy meat to the besieged population in an attempt to spread disease. The favourite appears to have been pigs as they were considered to be more aerodynamic than sheep or cows and the meat rotted quicker.

Perhaps the origin of 'Pigs flying?'

I bet the Trebuchet was on broad gauge wheels.....

Sorry to say but if someone sees Phil, can they kindly ask him to look at his emails, really what is the point of having an email address if the owner doesn't bother to look at it ? as that is what Phil told me when I spoke to him the other day chasing up an order I paid for over 3 weeks ago, the order arrived yesterday, but part of it is wrong ...... if he is snowed under, get some help then.

7mm modellers don't really have much choice in track building UK outline track, but my recent experience with C&L has tested my patience somewhat !!! lets see how long it takes to rectify the mistake.

Best regards

Craig.

I spoke with Phil this morning as I am still awaiting the items that weren’t sent correctly with the original order, this is now over 5 weeks since the original order !!! And in truth it has been a slow & poor service from the startof the order, I tried to give Phil the benefit of the doubt etc, but in all honesty I hope I have enough track parts to complete what I need for my 7mm project, as I don’t fancy having to order from him again in the future.

If any of Phil’s Friends or Associattes or on this forum, can some of you please have a polite word with him, and try to persuade him to get some help in becoming more efficient, as he obviously can’t take any constructive criticism over the phone.

Best regards

Craig

If any of Phil’s Friends or Associattes or on this forum, can some of you please have a polite word with him, and try to persuade him to get some help in becoming more efficient.

Many have tried... but unfortunately he seems determined for the message not to get through... which is a shame.

Jon

• Like 1

A quick update on C&L, still a few gremlins on the website as its showing its age, Phil is looking into a new site but at the moment the person who will build it is looking into the options available. At the moment place the order via the site then phone up regarding availability and payment

Office hours 10.00 till 14.00 Mon ,Tues, Thurs.  Wed 14.00 till 19.00   Fridays closed.

TEL: 01372 748490

These hours are so he can concentrate on making up packs and processing orders

There was a pre production sample of the new 00 gauge track base which was 3D printed to test the design, production will be in plastic

post-1131-0-99668500-1537864309.jpeg

As you can see there are keys between the chairs and rails. 2 versions main line where the keys go in the same direction and single line where keys alternate direction for 2 way running

post-1131-0-63332700-1537864319.jpeg

The track is moulded in to 30' half panels so when put back to back they make up into a 60' panel, the first sleeper is a 12" sleeper the rest 10", also the spacing between the 12" & 10" sleepers is narrower than the rest

post-1131-0-46614200-1537864327.jpeg

A view of the rear of the track where there are breaks in the webbing on alternate sides, Also the track base is much thicker than its predecessor which in my opinion a real positive step forward

No firm release date  however Phil is aiming to have it ready for Warley (and before any joker asks what year) this year. The tool is being made and hopefully ready very soon

He is considering making both EM and P4 versions, but this depends on the amount of interest shown 

There are a few other bits in the pipeline, but nothing firmed up

• Like 5