C&L Finescale

Andy Y

That's why I suggested an off-the shelf option such as Shopify. No IT knowledge needed beyond an ability to read what's on the screen and click a few buttons.

Martin.

So we've converged, I think. If C&L had a site built from a packaged solution maintained by the hosting service, it would be fixed and working by now. It isn't built like that, apparently, so fixing it isn't easy or quick. Mending it with a new one might be easier.

Like it or not Phil is having issues with his order system.

He is aware of it and has a work around.

The issue and work around is explained clearly on the home page.

In order to expedite your order quickly just follow the simple set of instructions

I know its not ideal and for some may involve additional work, but at the moment this is a way Phil feels he can handle.

IMO, there are many parallel between what's hard in space science and what's hard in railway modelling (and in software too).

Indeed, the principles behind the rocker mechanisms on the Mars rovers' suspension systems are not unlike the compensation systems we might put under 6-coupled locos. NASA even refer to the mechanism as a bogie. 

https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/mission/rover/wheelslegs/

The design of the mechanism apparently allows Curiosity to withstand a 45 degree tilt without falling over - it might even survive my track-making 'skills'. 

Edited by sharris

Rocket science, in the sense of science done with instruments carried on spacecraft, is not especially easy. Among other things, Newtonian gravitation is not sufficient to analyze all the observations, some of them need general relativity.

IMO, there are many parallel between what's hard in space science and what's hard in railway modelling (and in software too). But you probably don't want to hear about that.

For light relief only:

The Apollo program made it to the Moon and back with computers that were orders of magnitude less sophisticated than those in my car, and they paid not the slightest bit of attention to General Relativity. The Newtonian model works just fine for rocket trajectories within the Solar System at the velocities we are currently able to produce.

Anyway, these days any self-respecting "rocket scientist" calls herself an "Aerospace Engineer".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am sad to say that after three and a half weeks and £200 sent via bank transfer, five phone calls (and yet more unanswered) I still have nothing to show. Again, I report this without prejudice or agenda, and feel that it is important that a fair and open discussion is had.

Not to be silly about this, but couldn't C&L perhaps sell some of its more popular items (rail, chairs etc) via ebay while the website is getting fixed?  Yeah, it may cost a bit more, but isn't that better than the current situation?

That sounds like a very sensible way to get things moving and generate some near-term cash flow for C&L. However the latest from William makes me suspect the current business model is not working at all. I really hope I'm wrong.

I am sad to say that after three and a half weeks and £200 sent via bank transfer, five phone calls (and yet more unanswered) I still have nothing to show. Again, I report this without prejudice or agenda, and feel that it is important that a fair and open discussion is had.

Early days yet Mate, mine took nearly 8 weeks to complete in the end .... wrong bits sent, I paid to send them back, didn't get a return postage refund or even an apology verbal or written on the shambles of how the order unravelled, just some self centred garble about how busy and tough his business was at the time !!! I think Phil is a bit too belligerent to a) listen to his Friends for advice, b) learn new ways to make it easier for him and his customers or c) both.

I just hope I have enough stock to do all my track work now and not have to go through the rigmarole of ordering off him again.

Craig.

So after almost six weeks, my package arrived, thankfully complete.

C&L had the gall to charge me over £25 for postage on a package - which I thought fair given that it was automatically calculated and going super-special royal mail insured lah-de-dah with lots of rail in it - Not particularly nice to see the package arrive 2nd class with a postage cost printed on it of £5.75

I will never, ever be buying anything from this chap again to support this kind of business practise.

For those who just want to buy Hi-Ni Bullhead rail (code 125 and 75). Karlgarin sell this and should also be available from Phoenix Paints. Karlgarin sell their rail in 30 inch lengths so carriage should work out a little cheaper at £10.00 by Courier any size order (within reason I presume). From Phoenix Paints it's in metre lengths.They also do an interesting range in Flatbottom as well. No chairs yet of course.... but then there is always Exactoscale and Shapeways. Just wish Phil would get his act together.

Edited by Stephen Freeman

• RMweb Premium

So after almost six weeks, my package arrived, thankfully complete.

C&L had the gall to charge me over £25 for postage on a package - which I thought fair given that it was automatically calculated and going super-special royal mail insured lah-de-dah with lots of rail in it - Not particularly nice to see the package arrive 2nd class with a postage cost printed on it of £5.75

I will never, ever be buying anything from this chap again to support this kind of business practise.

I'd be quizzing C&L over this cost.  Something to cover packing time & materials I can swallow (if I have to)  but twenty quid is stretching things just a bit long way too far.

Consider yourself fully justified in being mightily p!ssed.

Rocket science, in the sense of science done with instruments carried on spacecraft, is not especially easy. Among other things, Newtonian gravitation is not sufficient to analyze all the observations, some of them need general relativity.

IMO, there are many parallel between what's hard in space science and what's hard in railway modelling (and in software too). But you probably don't want to hear about that.

Umm as a "rocket scientist / rocket engineer" (honestly) - I don't see any parallels between space science and/or space engineering and railway modelling. Railway modelling is much, much harder.....at least to me....lol

• Like 1

I'd be quizzing C&L over this cost.  Something to cover packing time & materials I can swallow (if I have to)  but twenty quid is stretching things just a bit long way too far.

Consider yourself fully justified in being mightily p!ssed.

Yes, Like 500 4mm chairs going up to £27.50!, what a joke, i have been looking at doing them myself on a 3D printer.

Edited by darren01

For those who just want to buy Hi-Ni Bullhead rail (code 125 and 75). Karlgarin sell this and should also be available from Phoenix Paints. Karlgarin sell their rail in 30 inch lengths so carriage should work out a little cheaper at £10.00 by Courier any size order (within reason I presume). From Phoenix Paints it's in metre lengths.They also do an interesting range in Flatbottom as well. No chairs yet of course.... but then there is always Exactoscale and Shapeways. Just wish Phil would get his act together.

I see Richard (Karlgarin Models)has altered his http://www.karlgarin.com/whatsnew.htm website so the code 125 is better value and cheaper to ship.

Edited by Stephen Freeman

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Like 500 4mm chairs going up to £27.50!, what a joke, i have been looking at doing them myself on a 3D printer.

What was the price under the old ownership?

500 Exactoscale chairs are twenty quid.....