C&L Finescale

Andy Y

I haven't used C&L for quite some time, since well before the "changeover".

Can anyone give me some idea of the usual waiting time for two small items (sleepers & fishplates) shown as "in stock"?

Just wondering whether to settle down for the long haul and get on with something else in the meantime.

Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

I haven't used C&L for quite some time, since well before the "changeover".

Can anyone give me some idea of the usual waiting time for two small items (sleepers & fishplates) shown as "in stock"?

Just wondering whether to settle down for the long haul and get on with something else in the meantime.

Thanks.

Phil was at a show over the weekend (and helped out Dave at Roxey Mouldings by taking part of the Roxey stand, as Dave could not attend at the last moment), I doubt if he was in a position  to do anything until Tuesday at the earliest.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/05/2019 at 10:41, hayfield said:

I thought I would let others reply as I am not familiar with Cobalt motors

As Jol has stated its a universal design from N/2mm scale to at least 7mm scale, as a hole range of pre-drilled pairs of holes have been drilled on to the copperclad tiebar. The carrier has 2 screw holes drilled through it to attach it to the base board

The idea is to drill two holes through the base board adjacent to the tips of the switch rails of sufficient diameter to throw the switch fully

I would then open the holes out to accept two thin tubes rather than wire, which you then can fit a L shaped piece of wire which is soldered to each switch blade (allowing the blade to rotate in the tube

You then fit your point motor to the base board in the most convenient position (this could be some distance away) and fit a wire from the point motor to the unit

You do not even need a point motor as it will work equally well with any wire in the tube method

Its a modern day twist on the early P4 turnout activating units, with a universal gauge pre-drilled under baseboard tiebar, how its activated is up to the builder, quite neat but quite large for added strength, but does away with the above board tiebars

Hi John,

I have one of these tiebar units, bought from you at Ally Pally last year to rebuild a home-made turnout where one point blade keeps falling off the copperclad tiebar.

My unit was supplied with one 2-inch length of fairly soft wire. The wording on the C&L website is a bit difficult to interpret but it implies there might be two or even three lengths of wire: "CARRIER PLATE TWO LENGTHS OF SPRUNG STEEL WIRE , 0.5 MM NICKLE SILVER WIRE"

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/POINT-UNIVERSAL-OPERATING-SWITCH-BLADE-BAR-p128941015

Please, could you post a sketch or photo showing how the lengths of tube and L-shaped wire might be arranged? I am guessing the tube goes horizontally along the web of the rail but I'm not at all sure. Or indeed a photo of a completed installation, ideally for one of the 4mm scale gauges. Many thanks.

- Richard.

Richard

I have just sent a PM with my phone number on it easier to chat it through

The C&L units are designed to go under the baseboard, the under board tiebar (for want of a better description) has lots of pilot holes driller for gauges from N to 0 gauges.

The simple method is 

You drill the hole in the tiebar to fit the diameter of the wire you are using,

Each wire should be a L shape, the length of the long bit has to be long enough to go vertically downwards through the baseboard into the unit, the short bit of the L should be between 3 & 5mm long, this wire is soldered to the switch rail

It will be easier to fit if the short horizontal wire is bent slightly into the switch blade 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

New 4mm scale 2 bolt chairs now in stock

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/

Now with 10 standard chairs, 2 bridge chairs, 2 J chairs and 2 fishplates per sprue (350 chair packs with 2 fishplates

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/2-BOLT-CHAIRS-X-350-NEW-14-Chair-Sprue-plus-2-Fish-plates-10-Standard-chairs-2-L1-Chairs-2-S1J-Chairs-Rail-Joint-2-Fish-plates-p127998896

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Afternoon all,

Has anyone had a delivery from C&L recently?  I placed an order on 30th July, paid same day by bank transfer (following instructions on their website).  Now I appreciate things can take a while, particularly at the moment, but having logged on to the website to check the order status, I see it is still "Awaiting Payment".  This clearly isn't the case, but I'm getting concerned that I can't seem to raise them on the phone or via email either......

I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing, but the order was the best part of £70 and I'd like to know that all is well....

Cheers

Alastair

1 hour ago, clarkea1 said:

Afternoon all,

Has anyone had a delivery from C&L recently?  I placed an order on 30th July, paid same day by bank transfer (following instructions on their website).  Now I appreciate things can take a while, particularly at the moment, but having logged on to the website to check the order status, I see it is still "Awaiting Payment".  This clearly isn't the case, but I'm getting concerned that I can't seem to raise them on the phone or via email either......

I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing, but the order was the best part of £70 and I'd like to know that all is well....

Cheers

Alastair

Alastair

Phil has his own way of doing things, give him a call as he might have missed that you have paid for it

Also he only posts on Thursdays, he has an arrangement to have a "Covid safe" arrangement at his local Post Office when taking parcels in

5 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Alastair

Phil has his own way of doing things, give him a call as he might have missed that you have paid for it

Also he only posts on Thursdays, he has an arrangement to have a "Covid safe" arrangement at his local Post Office when taking parcels in

Thanks John.  I'll give him a call on Monday then as I appear to have missed the boat for this week according to the opening times on the website.

I was concerned as, having missed me paying for it, he's missed the follow up emails too.  At least it sounds like all is well at C&L which is the main thing.

Cheers

Alastair

2 minutes ago, clarkea1 said:

Thanks John.  I'll give him a call on Monday then as I appear to have missed the boat for this week according to the opening times on the website.

I was concerned as, having missed me paying for it, he's missed the follow up emails too.  At least it sounds like all is well at C&L which is the main thing.

Cheers

Alastair

Alastair

PM me with your details and I will phone Phil.

He is going on holiday later in the month so get things sorted before he goes away.

Phil is fine, he popped in to see me just over a week ago on his way to both the injection molders and his tool maker.

• 2 months later...
On 13/08/2020 at 15:32, clarkea1 said:

Afternoon all,

Cheers

Alastair

Alastair, Did you get your order delivered after all? I've also placed an order and have heard nothing.... maybe still on holiday, so I'll give it a bit longer.

Cheers, Kier

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Kier

Have you tried phoning Phil, sometimes he misses emails and he does ask customers to phone him

Called a couple of weeks ago and left a message, but all calls this week result in a message saying service is full, perhaps indicating they haven't been accessed recently. I hope all's well at C&L Towers. 

On 29/10/2020 at 17:31, Kier Hardy said:

Alastair, Did you get your order delivered after all? I've also placed an order and have heard nothing.... maybe still on holiday, so I'll give it a bit longer.

Cheers, Kier

Hi Kier,

Yes I did get the order, thanks to Hayfield for his help with it. 

Cheers

Alastair

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, B15nac said:

Hi

Does c&l finescale have a email address? 

I ordered some sleepers off the website about a month ago an paid via bank transfer but they have not arrived yet? 

Kind regards Neil 

Phil in his ordering instructions asks for UK buyers to phone and pay via the phone, bank transfer is intended for overseas ordering

On the front page both the telephone answering hours and phone numbers are clearly shown, plus a very big button "CONTACT ME" try pressing it

The one consistent reply going through this thread is. 

1 Phil is easy to contact and deal with on the phone. Strangely enough it works

2 Phil takes his time answering emails, where most issues arrive

3 Customers get results when they phone Phil, 

Phil is on his own and is very busy, limits the time he is available so he can run his business for the benefit of all.

22 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Phil in his ordering instructions asks for UK buyers to phone and pay via the phone, bank transfer is intended for overseas ordering

On the front page both the telephone answering hours and phone numbers are clearly shown, plus a very big button "CONTACT ME" try pressing it

The one consistent reply going through this thread is. 

1 Phil is easy to contact and deal with on the phone. Strangely enough it works

2 Phil takes his time answering emails, where most issues arrive

3 Customers get results when they phone Phil, 

Phil is on his own and is very busy, limits the time he is available so he can run his business for the benefit of all.

Hi 

I've tried the Contact me button an sent a messages an I've not had a reply so I just wondered if he had a actual email address. I'm not having a pop I just asked a question. With the hours I work it's all but impossible to ring him so I was just trying this route first. Sorry if it's offended anyone. 

Kind regards Neil 

3 minutes ago, B15nac said:

Hi 

I've tried the Contact me button an sent a messages an I've not had a reply so I just wondered if he had a actual email address. I'm not having a pop I just asked a question. With the hours I work it's all but impossible to ring him so I was just trying this route first. Sorry if it's offended anyone. 

Kind regards Neil 

But as this thread has constantly said, Phil is not very reliable in replying to emails, the reason he publishes his phone number at the top of the page and not his email, is he has difficulties with emails !!!

Just now, hayfield said:

But as this thread has constantly said, Phil is not very reliable in replying to emails, the reason he publishes his phone number at the top of the page and not his email, is he has difficulties with emails !!!

OK thanks for your help sorry again. 

Regards Neil 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cryptic message on C&L's website today:

CandL.jpg.080b45ca96030ee4b7ce408191383a2c.jpg

I was looking because I recently ordered and just received a 7mm turnout kit with new rail profile but old chairs, which are a very loose fit and are only plain and slide chairs, no bridge. Not impressed, I was expecting the new chairs.

Anyway, I hope he is ok and I wish him all the best with his move.

Edited by GWR57xx
restore images

2 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

Cryptic message on C&L's website today:

CandL.jpg.1dd17ed9b28465a2235b5e450e757e82.jpg

I was looking because I recently ordered and just received a 7mm turnout kit with new rail profile but old chairs, which are a very loose fit and are only plain and slide chairs, no bridge. Not impressed, I was expecting the new chairs.

Anyway, I hope he is ok and I wish him all the best with his move.

If you ordered the new chairs return them for the correct ones, however if you ordered and paid for the older style ones I am certain Phil will sort things out if he knows about it

• Thanks 1