C&L Finescale

Andy Y

There's something about track and track-related threads... I just can't quite put my finger on it. Enter at your own peril...

post-17811-0-95151400-1488972280.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Martin Wynne for the following:

http://www.finescale.org.uk/

NEWS UPDATE - Sunday 19th March

The plans are coming together for the sale of the two parts of our current business. The latest information is as follows:

The Carr's business

Phoenix Paints will become the new owners of the Carr's range of products and will be moving stock to their premises near Southend around 3rd April.  

The current C&L website will stop taking orders for all CARR's products at 9am on Friday 31st March (Carr's products are normally identified by their product code starting with the letter 'C').

Any order received after that time will NOT be dispatched and will be cancelled, as staff will be busy carrying out a stocktake and packing the stock ready for the move the following week. 

C&L, Exactoscale, Peco and all other non Carr's products will still be available through the C&L website (see below).

In addition we are pleased to announce that a deal has provisionally been reached which will mean that Carr's products will still be available on the C&L stand at Exhibitions and Trade Shows, as well as from the Pheonix website and from their Show stand as well. This will increase the opportunity for purchasing Carr's products without the need to pay for shipping. It will be particularly useful in the case of Fluxes and Chemicals, as there will then be no need for a Courier delivery service, which is a requirement for website orders, due to Royal Mail restrictions on the carriage of such products.

The C&L business (including Exactoscale)

Our current Trade Show Agent Mr Phil Reid will be taking on the C&L and Exactoscale brands. 

The plan is for us to stop taking orders on the C&L website at 9am on Friday 28 April. Stock will then be packed up and moved during the next couple of weeks to a new location in Surrey. 

There will not be a retail outlet at the new premises. As this is a pre-requirement for holding an account with Peco, it will no longer be possible to purchase Peco, Ratio and Wills products from the C&L website. 

Phil hopes to re-start sales for C&L and Exactoscale items around 1st June, although this is a provisional date at this time.

The website will remain pretty much the same, except that it will not have the Carr's products listed - although they will be available from Phil's Show Stand.

There will be a limited number of changes to the Exhibition Diary in due course, so please check back on a regular basis. Link: Exhibition Diary

NEWS UPDATE - Sunday 19th March

Re: Carr's - change of Ownership

We are pleased to announce that provisional agreement has been reached regarding the sale of the Carr's product range to the well known trader Phoenix Paints. The sale will ensure that the majority of the products will remain available to customers.

Further details will be released once more of the arrangements have agreed.

The provisional date for the movement of stock to the Phoenix premises in Essex is the week commencing 3rd April. A final date for ordering through the C&L website will be announced as soon as possible. There is then likely to be a short gap until the stock has been moved and organised and is available again through Phoenix.  

• RMweb Premium

Repeated from my post on Martin's thread:

Good to see the Carr's products have found a home, at Phoenix, and hopefully the new owner of the C&L side of things, Phil Reid, will be able to keep the purchasing side of the website going.

• 2 months later...

So why are there two threads covering the same thing?

C&L Finescale – owner Pete Llewellyn to stand down and C&L to have new ownership

??? Just curious.

Is there any current news on this?

The C&L website has the last update on news as mid May.

Cheers

Phil received far more stock than he anticipated, most of which were unmarked. He is working his way through them plus trying to keep a presence up at shows (Watford today at the S4 AGM) next weekend at Perth which will be a 5 day return journey. I spoke with Phil on Tuesday and he now expects the site to be up and running either at the end of June or early July. He needs to know what he has in stock rather than disappoint customers.

• RMweb Gold

So why are there two threads covering the same thing?

C&L Finescale – owner Pete Llewellyn to stand down and C&L to have new ownership

??? Just curious.

This topic is in the Smaller Suppliers section. It discusses the future of the business, and the availability of all their former products, including tools and materials, Carrs soldering products , Peco track, Exactoscale driving wheels, etc.

The other topic is in the Handbuilt Track section. It discusses only the practical issues around supply of trackbuilding components, chairs and rail etc.

Or at least, that's the theory. This being RMweb, the two topics have overlapped.

Martin.

• 1 month later...

Just got off the phone to Phil  after placing an order  on Tuesday  he got back from rail-wells and was unpacking  early week but had god my order printed off and was  about to start picking it  I had placed another order today for rail   ( 7mm) he is happy  to  pack as one but due to  delays with  setting up the courier  it will be coming by the post office and cost 12 pounds . the two orders together are over 12 pounds  so im getting  a bit of a refund   

he is a very nice chap  apologized for the delays  but he is still learning and sorting out all the stock he  inherited Personally  i am all for giving him plenty of support and allow him to get  up and running . too many  people are moaning but at least he took on C&L  otherwise  we would have lost it as has happend so often in the past

• Like 1

Just got off the phone to Phil  after placing an order  on Tuesday  he got back from rail-wells and was unpacking  early week but had god my order printed off and was  about to start picking it  I had placed another order today for rail   ( 7mm) he is happy  to  pack as one but due to  delays with  setting up the courier  it will be coming by the post office and cost 12 pounds . the two orders together are over 12 pounds  so im getting  a bit of a refund   

he is a very nice chap  apologized for the delays  but he is still learning and sorting out all the stock he  inherited Personally  i am all for giving him plenty of support and allow him to get  up and running . too many  people are moaning but at least he took on C&L  otherwise  we would have lost it as has happend so often in the past

Nigel

Thanks for supporting Phil, I have assisted him at several shows and he is fully committed to providing a high quality of service and an improved range of products in this new business venture for him. Like many before when starting a new business unexpected things crop up, as lots of things happen behind the scenes that go unnoticed by customers. He has his own ideas of how things should be done which includes some new ideas, some may have to be tweaked or modified over time.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

whooooo  long  (1 meter) cardboard box has arrived  from C&L  i wonder what could be inside  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

1  sleepers   check

2 chairs  check

3 Methyl ethel  keytone  check

4 rails  check

motivation  Check

thinks i  may have a go at laying a bit of track tonight

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the current situation regarding ordering from C&L?

I have ordered some 3 bolt chairs (4mm) from the website. The info on the website states that once the order is picked an invoice will be emailed with payment details.

I ordered these about 2/3 weeks ago and have had no email. I have rung twice but no answer.

Does anyone know the current situation regarding ordering from C&L?

I have ordered some 3 bolt chairs (4mm) from the website. The info on the website states that once the order is picked an invoice will be emailed with payment details.

I ordered these about 2/3 weeks ago and have had no email. I have rung twice but no answer.

He is usually at a number of shows. He has said he's had some trouble with the website recently, which he's trying to track down the cause of (the contact us page doesn't work correctly too iirc).

I have two orders sitting there for a month now, but as it says until paid for the goods won't be sent. That sorts that out then, as essentailly I can't cancel my orders but if I don't pay ....

So now crossing timbers from Intentio, chairs from Shapeways & Peco and rail from Marcway. Job done !  It might not be the bolt patterns that I had intended, but 10 yards of rail later the results are looking impressive

Templot is a cracking piece of software and the choice of easily selectable templates makes that bit so easy. I haven't gone through the learning curve of the program, but with a bit of plagiarism there are quite a few interesting box files in the forum. Need to hit the Donate button over the weekend I think

Edited by Park
  • Like 2

I have two orders sitting there for a month now, but as it says until paid for the goods won't be sent. That sorts that out then, as essentailly I can't cancel my orders but if I don't pay ....

So now crossing timbers from Intentio, chairs from Shapeways & Peco and rail from Marcway. Job done !  It might not be the bolt patterns that I had intended, but 10 yards of rail later the results are looking impressive

Templot is a cracking piece of software and the choice of easily selectable templates makes that bit so easy. I haven't gone through the learning curve of the program, but with a bit of plagiarism there are quite a few interesting box files in the forum. Need to hit the Donate button over the weekend I think

Just give Phil a call, yes it may be a bit irritating, but if there are some issues with the website he may not be aware of your orders

I was hoping that a dearth of orders might signify an issue with the website as it won't just be our three orders in limbo. Also trying to work out if this was the day job or just an extra, in which case the contact issues would be explained

The plan is to visit the Manchester show in December and catch up with Phil as they are invited, but see he is booked to go to Reading. Might have to wait until April before he ventures North again

I was hoping that a dearth of orders might signify an issue with the website as it won't just be our three orders in limbo. Also trying to work out if this was the day job or just an extra, in which case the contact issues would be explained

The plan is to visit the Manchester show in December and catch up with Phil as they are invited, but see he is booked to go to Reading. Might have to wait until April before he ventures North again

Phil is working full time with his C&L project, don't forget a 2 day show takes 2 days extra to pack up and un pack, being self employed can be a bit of a culture shock plus sometimes the simplest jobs take longer than expected, also systems have to fit within the businesses budget and owners skill sets

I've just got an order through from C&L, it took a couple of phone calls to arrange the payment details and make sure everything was in stock but otherwise everything went ok

Edit : total time from order placement to delivery was just over a month