C&L Finescale

Andy Y

I have an order with C&L that I placed on 4 October (for items listed as being in stock) still showing as pending.  Being in the US, I'm not able to visit exhibitions in the UK.  I've had only one response to the several emails I've sent asking for updates.  I understand that running a one person operation is difficult, but at this point I'm frustrated.

I have placed orders with other suppliers in the UK and usually receive the items within two weeks (via Royal Mail and US Mail).

I have an order with C&L that I placed on 4 October (for items listed as being in stock) still showing as pending.  Being in the US, I'm not able to visit exhibitions in the UK.  I've had only one response to the several emails I've sent asking for updates.  I understand that running a one person operation is difficult, but at this point I'm frustrated.

I have placed orders with other suppliers in the UK and usually receive the items within two weeks (via Royal Mail and US Mail).

I hope Phil get on top of this issue , nothing ruins a business faster then hassle around getting product. No matter how small a business is , it must be run on a professional basis.

C&L were always very prompt

I think it a bit unfair to compare Phil to the old C&L at this stage. For one thing C&L had one premesis and multiple staff members, Phil is currently split between two locations and a one man band. There has also been a few stock related issues he's had to resolve, and the website is one of the niggles he's been facing.

Give him a bit of time, he only took it on a few months back after all and the transition with the best planning and will in the world with something as big as C&L was is always going to have a few snags along the way. Phil is working hard at a number of shows and is always helpful at shows when I've dealt with him (I've never bothered using the website, prferring to see what I'm buying at a show).

• Like 1

It seems to be with a lot of folk who take over businesses there is a very steep learning curve, Phil was in one way well positioned in that he ran the smaller stand for a few years, but having a franchise and running a business is quite different.

When Peter took over the business he had the benefit of existing premises and staff who were used to the business.

Not seen Phil since Railex so not completely up to date with the situation, but am aware of a number of challenges which had to be addressed, it will take a few months for everything to settle in and for Phil to bed in a system that works for all (him and customers)

I am only guessing but when moving from being employed to self employed, then trying your best to keep all the balls in the air at the same time is very difficult. I am certain Phil will quickly see what is working and what needs altering and attend to it. Don't forget it is in his best interests to make a go of it.

• Like 3

I think it a bit unfair to compare Phil to the old C&L at this stage. For one thing C&L had one premesis and multiple staff members, Phil is currently split between two locations and a one man band. There has also been a few stock related issues he's had to resolve, and the website is one of the niggles he's been facing.

Give him a bit of time, he only took it on a few months back after all and the transition with the best planning and will in the world with something as big as C&L was is always going to have a few snags along the way. Phil is working hard at a number of shows and is always helpful at shows when I've dealt with him (I've never bothered using the website, prferring to see what I'm buying at a show).

Personally , I feel he'd be better focusing on getting the mail order running efficiently, rather then show appearances . If C&Ls turnover was such that it could support several staff, I suspect Phil, even with the reduced product range , will ( or is) completely overwhelmed. I met him at Telford, and I'm sure he has the best intentions , but that's also the road to heaven etc.

My own experience is that unless the number of orders is small. You rapidly reach the situation where you need a dedicated person just fulfilling orders, allowing the proprietor to concentrate on stock, purchases and business promotion , not to mention the paperwork that follows a typical business these days.

Customer tolerance ( or should that be intolerance ! ) can be very short these days , as expectations are high. most people expect dispatch within days of placing an order. a typical goal being less then 5. The old " allow 28 days for dispatch " having gone the way of the dodo bird.

I would hate to see this go the way of Coppercraft etc.

Edited by Junctionmad

We all want Phil to succeed as essentially the options are a bit limited from what I can see as a newcomer. I have no qualms about waiting for an order, if I know it's being dealt with

As mentioned already by John it takes time to load and unload for exhibitions which means less time in the week to process orders. I don't envy Phil's life as it sounds like 7 days a week existence at the moment. I agree with Junctionmad that getting the mail order system working right is the priority as the product is well publicised already all over the forums

In this day and age printing shapes is becoming more readily available both from bigger suppliers and the home market. I know a club member that is already looking at adapting Templot output to something that will print out the whole track formation on his array of 3D printers at home

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting this.  I put in an order a couple of days ago but discovered that the order bot had inserted some rather expensive extraneous items (a known issue I think and one that should be fixed ASAP IMO).  I've sent two messages via the site and now wonder if they're being read.

Another vital aspect of any business, is communication with customers.  If people are getting feedback, they're likely to be more tolerant.

It's beyond me how one person can juggle all the requirements of running a business like this.

John

• RMweb Gold

Interesting this.  I put in an order a couple of days ago but discovered that the order bot had inserted some rather expensive extraneous items (a known issue I think and one that should be fixed ASAP IMO).  I've sent two messages via the site and now wonder if they're being read.

Another vital aspect of any business, is communication with customers.  If people are getting feedback, they're likely to be more tolerant.

It's beyond me how one person can juggle all the requirements of running a business like this.

John

I'm no IT expert but I have often noticed that these embedded contact forms often fail. I believe that it is due to some sort of compatibility issue with browsers (I mostly use Firefox). Wherever possible I send an e-mail rather than use the contact form.

• RMweb Gold

I've sent two messages via the site and now wonder if they're being read.

Hi John

The site had a message for weeks that the Contact Us form wasn't working -- for those who could decipher it. It now says:

Contact us is now working however it is going to take me a while to work through all of the enquiries, I still have back log orders some waiting materials which have been ordered.

Punctuation on the site is often poor, leaving the meaning unclear. My revision: The "Contact Us" page is now working....

Martin.

Hi John

The site had a message for weeks that the Contact Us form wasn't working -- for those who could decipher it. It now says:

Contact us is now working however it is going to take me a while to work through all of the enquiries, I still have back log orders some waiting materials which have been ordered.

Punctuation on the site is often poor, leaving the meaning unclear. My revision: The "Contact Us" page is now working....

Martin.

Thanks Martin, the note is on the Home page.  Good to know things are working.  I'm in no particular hurry and have stock to be getting on with.

John

Thanks Martin, the note is on the Home page.  Good to know things are working.  I'm in no particular hurry and have stock to be getting on with.

John

Not had a chance to speak with Phil recently, and it seems he has his hands full so distractions may interrupt resolving them. Just a case of bearing with him a bit as he gets a grip on what,s happening. Knowing Phil he will iron out these teething problems

• Like 1

I hope Phil get's things sorted as I'd hate to see him loose custom from slow mail orders.  I must admit I need to order stuff soon and it sounds like its a right old wait for orders to get sent out so that is worrying me a little.  I have no issues with it taking a few weeks, but I think months could just become irritating.

There's quite a few bits I need to order including fishplates to try to finish my layout. It's running but having some more fishplates would make things run a bit better!

I ordered a template and expected an e-invoice with payment details etc. When I didn't get it, I phoned and spoke to Phil. He is obviously struggling at present as he tries to get to grips with the backlog he has........but as frusrating as it is, we must try to be patient and hope he succeeds. The hobby (especially 7mm) needs him and people like him, to find their feet and hopefully provide products for years to come.

I'm sure he will be at Reading in December where I will wish him well. (And maybe get my template?)

Ray

• Like 1

I hope Phil get's things sorted as I'd hate to see him loose custom from slow mail orders.  I must admit I need to order stuff soon and it sounds like its a right old wait for orders to get sent out so that is worrying me a little.  I have no issues with it taking a few weeks, but I think months could just become irritating.

Phil has both invested his savings and given up paid employment to take over this business. He needs it to be a success more than we need the parts. From the discussions I had earlier in the year the stock came a bit jumbled up and required far more sorting than expected and the contents in the boxes may differ from what's written on the outside. I am certain in due time all will be well, but I think there may well have been unforeseen issues arise.

I will give him a call, but it may well be best to allow him to catch up rather than chat

Unfortunately small business that encounter communication and supply delays can get sucked into a downward spiral.

• Customer sends order
  • No immediate acknowledgement or delivery
  • Customer sends follow up enquiry 
  • Proprietor diverted from sourcing product, packaging, taking to PO, etc. to relpy
  • Other peoples orders delayed.
  • They send enquiry
  • And so on

I agree that shows are a must, to create an ongoing customer awareness, build customer relations, etc. 

A contact link carries the implication that it is a business communication and will be dealt with during business hours. Providing a normal email address seems to cause people to think that they can use it at any time and will get a fairly quick response, even to some of the most difficult enquiries (will your kit 27AB make the loco shown on page XX of so and so's book published in 1957?). How do I know all this? Simply from being a friend of someone who runs a Small Supplier's business.

So, I wish Phil all success. We need the C&L range of products and while these "start up" difficulties are annoying, we need to give him time to get things fully up and running. Looking at the outcome of some other "takeovers" it could be much more frustrating. Along with several friends I hope the Exactoscale P4 carriage and wagon wheels become available again, but am not going to pester Phil to find out what is happening with those until everything else sorted.

• Like 2

... Along with several friends I hope the Exactoscale P4 carriage and wagon wheels become available again, but am not going to pester Phil to find out what is happening with those until everything else sorted.

I asked about these at Scaleforum and was told:

- the C&W wheels will be back, but will only stay in production if they sell well enough;

- the wagon-chassis parts are to be dropped permanently;

- the loco wheels are withdrawn temporarily for "re-engineering" (I know no details);

- no promises on timescales for anything.

Fabrice, you should read this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127088-ordering-from-cl/ Helpful to me.

I too have submitted an order for 7mm track parts, sent a message and not received a response.  Understandable when you realize that Phil (the new owner) has his hands full and is by himself.

John

Template? what about Templot?

Stephen

I have printed templates with Templot but they don't show any detail on things like the chairs for example. So far I have not found a way to get them printed on the document. My idea was to use Templot to get the templates for construction and use the C&L ones for the additional details....

Ray

Edited by Hull Paragon