Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

This is my effort with a S/H part built kit bought for £4.50 at a show + £8 for the new legs and smoke baffles.

I cut it down quiet a bit from the marks for platform mounting on the kit the legs need tweeking and the baffles fitted.

post-8647-0-89412100-1469012936_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

This is my effort with a S/H part built kit bought for £4.50 at a show + £8 for the new legs and smoke baffles.

I cut it down quiet a bit from the marks for platform mounting on the kit the legs need tweeking and the baffles fitted.

attachicon.gifWP_20160622_19_59_04_Pro.jpg

Nice. Yes, similar approach to mine.  Not a bad kit really, is it, considering its age? I knocked up the smoke baffles from Plastikard, bent to shape in boiling water with a couple of pairs of pliers. I also glued little locating pins (brass wire) into the platform to fit into the hollow interior of the supporting pillars, so it will stay put but can be removed for track cleaning etc..

John C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice. Yes, similar approach to mine.  Not a bad kit really, is it, considering its age? I knocked up the smoke baffles from Plastikard, bent to shape in boiling water with a couple of pairs of pliers. I also glued little locating pins (brass wire) into the platform to fit into the hollow interior of the supporting pillars, so it will stay put but can be removed for track cleaning etc..

John C.

The legs and baffles are Scalelink parts as the original legs were broken, the wire is a good idea but the new legs are solid so I use tacky wax to keep thing on the platform in place such as barrows, trolleys, luggage seats and the like and can move items around from time to time.

Like you I think I will start posting the layout again when begins to look like something I would hate to present a messy layout I've altered it so much of late, ballast and point rodding to go down and some buildings and bridges to finish after a ladder fell onto the layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What are the origins of your rather splendid signal box John ?

It's a Kernow special commission from Bachmann Scenecraft, based on the type 7 box at Truro. It came in 1970s condition with a sort of dull white paint finish, so needed repainting in GWR colours.  It was originally going to appear with 1971 opaque dirty windows too.  So glad it didn't - wasn't looking forward to having to replace them all.  It's probably a bit big for a Brent-style setting - I believe the Truro box had 70 odd levers.  But scratchbuild-avoiding beggars can't be choosers. BTW Robin, love your very accurate Brent box. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Like you I think I will start posting the layout again when begins to look like something I would hate to present a messy layout I've altered it so much of late, ballast and point rodding to go down and some buildings and bridges to finish after a ladder fell onto the layout.

Look forward to that.

• RMweb Premium

There really is something 'different' about track-work like this. It really does not look OO at all but then neither does Rob's in most places due to the super ballasting and colouring.

If only there were a decent range of RTR pointwork to accompany this 'finer track' without having to build kits, build your own (although that can be fun) or have them buit for you (Marcway are very reasonable price wise IMO)......., oh hang on I might start a friendly discussion by mentioning this.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

What is your fiddle yard arrangement?.

It consists of four loops in each direction (there's never room for enough, is there?), plus two long sidings for the branch with run-round and uncoupling facilities.  Here are a few pics, minus trains for clarity:

post-15399-0-07098600-1469098463_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-04290800-1469098491_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-03885500-1469098515_thumb.jpg

Track is Peco code 75, laid on 4mm EVA medium density foam (whatever that is), obtained online from a medical products supplier.  I chose the royal blue to make it startlingly clear to non-modelling types that this was definitely 'offstage', 'behind the scenes', and not part of the layout proper.

as the photos show, points are operated by wire & tube from the front of the baseboard with SPDT slider switches from Maplins providing both the mechanical throw and the electrical frog polarity change.

The last two pics show the slide-out hatch for access.  It's only a few weeks since I moved the inner circuit pointwork onto the hatch, increasing capacity on that side to match that of the outer circuit.  Can now manage a couple of 7 coach through trains in each direction (the station platforms will take 6).  I thought I was tempting fate having 12 separate rails crossing one end of the hatch but - touch wood - everything's been fine so far, even in this mini-heatwave.

post-15399-0-02795200-1469098998_thumb.jpg

post-15399-0-43967100-1469099028_thumb.jpg

The hatch simply slides out from inside the layout, with backstops to position it.  Power goes to it via a simple two point plug 'n' socket carrying a spur from the layout power bus.  The bearers on which it slides are greased with candle-wax a couple of times a year, and have brass woodscrews inserted fore and aft to provide any necessary vertical adjustment by a part-turn of a Phillips screwdriver.  But I've not had to do this since the early days in 2012/13.

John C.

• Like 12

Dear John,

What a smashing layout here after just catching up with it on the forum! Such skill, time, effort and dedication and you can certainly reap the rewards for your talent. Amazing!

It's always a joy to see a well turned out GWR layout and this one is easily one of the best! My hat goes off to you.

You have certainly gained an extra follower here...

Kind regards,

Chris :)

• Like 1

Thanks for kind words Spannerman.  Bulleid's output might be a bit late for my period, but it did cross my mind that a Hornby S15 and some of those lovely Maunsell coaches might be a future acquisition for the occasional route familiarity turn.

Turning to a different railway today's pics have an LNER flavour to show my new toys - Oxford Rail cattle wagon and 6 plank open.  Nice models, though the former might be a bit orangey? (Especially when compared to the Bachmann van next to it.)  But great to see accurate RTR wagons  suitable for the pre-war scene.

attachicon.gifNew LNER wagons 001-min.JPG

attachicon.gifNew LNER wagons 003-min.JPG

attachicon.gifNew LNER wagons 004-min.JPG

John C.

How about an M7 or T9?

• Like 1

Nice to get back from holiday to kind and supportive comments – enough to encourage me to further posts. 

In answer to specific queries:

William – yes, I’m familiar with ‘A nod to Brent’.  In fact when I first found it last year I did no modelling for several days while I avidly read through the lot!  Great stuff.  And I’m also following Fatadder’s Brent project with interest.  Both of these of course are much more closely based on the real Brent, whereas my semi-freelance effort merely borrows the concept of a small S. Devon junction station and the main outlines of the track plan.

Dennis – the clerestories are simply the old Hornby items.  Nothing has been done to them yet, save to paint the droplights (I used Railmatch SR venetian red as a proxy for the GWR shade).  This can be seen on the first pic below, and makes a bit of a difference.  The next stage is to add decent gangways and sooty black roofs.  The lack of relief panelling is pretty obvious, but I rejoined this game just too late to acquire the etched replacement sides that 247 Developments used to do. (Not that I’m certain I wouldn’t have made a pig’s ear of fettling them!) They’ll be fine as ‘layout coaches’, in Tony Wright’s useful phrase.

More on the layout in due course; in the meantime here are a few more pics.  

attachicon.gifLayout, 11 July 16 002-min.JPG

attachicon.gifR1.JPG

attachicon.gifR9.JPG

attachicon.gifR5.JPG

attachicon.gifR13.JPG

(My apologies that I haven't yet worked out how to stop rotated portrait format pics from reverting to landscape when I attach them!)

John C.

Hi John,

Just had to return and browse this wonder of a layout on here this afternoon. Please may I ask; how did you make/put together your platform running in board with the correct font?

Amazing!

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for kind words Spannerman.  Bulleid's output might be a bit late for my period, but it did cross my mind that a Hornby S15 and some of those lovely Maunsell coaches might be a future acquisition for the occasional route familiarity turn.

Turning to a different railway today's pics have an LNER flavour to show my new toys - Oxford Rail cattle wagon and 6 plank open.  Nice models, though the former might be a bit orangey? (Especially when compared to the Bachmann van next to it.)  But great to see accurate RTR wagons  suitable for the pre-war scene.

attachicon.gifNew LNER wagons 001-min.JPG

attachicon.gifNew LNER wagons 003-min.JPG

attachicon.gifNew LNER wagons 004-min.JPG

John C.

Don't look at the thread slating the Oxford cattle truck...................................... :scared:

Phil

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't look at the thread slating the Oxford cattle truck...................................... :scared:

Phil

Don't waste your time it's full of the usual dross and whingers, a lick of dark wash would soon tone the orangey effect down. :rolleyes:  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Please may I ask; how did you make/put together your platform running in board with the correct font?

Cheers,

Hi Chris

Well, I learn something new everyday. As a railway enthusiast for over 60 years I'd never heard the term 'running in board', and had to google it!  But I know it now and will use it.

post-15399-0-91690200-1469360978_thumb.jpg

Mine are from the Scale Link kits, although I couldn't get on with their lovely etched letters.  Part of it was my lack of skill in getting them straight, but I also found that being restricted to their 2mm and 4mm fonts I would end up with a sign longer than I wanted, rather dominating the relatively short platforms.  So I sacrificed the relief effect and printed mine out from the PC.  If you subscribe to the GWR elist (just google it) you can download the authentic GWR font to your PC for free.  (You'll also subsequently get loads of emails discussing all sorts of GWR arcana.)

Thanks for kind words, Glad you like the layout and the running in boards.  There - I've used it!

John C.

• Like 10