Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:32, David C said:

Agreed. You could quite prototypically use one on the branch, even if they were not seen on the mainline being returned on a normal service train so far West. The GWR removed the slipping gear (apart from the tanks underneath) from quite a few redundant slips and employed them on branchlines. Usually having 1st and 2nd class accommodation, they were ideal for lines where the passenger traffic only required a single coach. Off the top of my head, Farringdon, Newcastle Emlyn and (I think) Windsor were examples.  The former had 70 foot concertinas whilst Windsor had a shorter version (not sure what diagram, but possibly a toplight). I want one for "Woodstowe" as they lasted well into the BR period.

Thanks for info David, and for kind words re Stoke Courtenay.  I was an admirer of Woodstowe, and well remember being impressed by it as Railway of the Month in RM back when I was in the early stages of layout building. Bits of the Cardigan branch and bits of Ashburton perhaps, and lots of small prairie action. Lovely stuff.

John C.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, checkrail said:

Always good to see more of Coach Bogie's splendid collection of GWR coaching stock and to learn more about coach workings. The ex-Royal Train vehicle is a stunner - I'll bet not many have one of those running on their layout!

I agree about the ubiquity of the Dean 40ft PBVs in 1930s photos.  I thought I'd better have one at least, seen below behind 5041 on a Plymouth train.  It's built from the old K's kit that Mike mentions.  They went through lots of changes, Mine's not based on a particular van at a particular time, but I decided to give it gangways, American bogies, and plated-over guard's lookouts.  Best I can say is that it's a K something-or-other!  Mike may advise what diagram, if any, it's closest to.

P1050303.JPG.82f6fe82db957cbdd6d554624962fc33.JPG

P1050304.JPG.3b36739d4563a9e31c6c2df700f77d18.JPG

John C.

In my teens,  built the K's kit before realising that it was just too early for my period so I transferred the bogies to a Tri-ang clerestory coach, which now serves as a static Camping Coach. I've still got the PBV body somewhere though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, checkrail said:

Didn't know what I'd started with the horsebox saga, but my eyes have been opened by recent discussion over on Little Muddle.  Was very surprised to find that GWR horse boxes had black ends, having assumed that (1) Hornby had got it right, as they'd based their model on the pic in Russell Vol. 2, and (2) that most other 'brown vehicles' - siphons, fruit vans etc. - had brown ends.  So I'd never even bothered looking at the pics in Russell, Appendix Vol 2.  That is, until this morning!

So I got to work with a Humbrol acrylic matt black spray can, and can now add a short sequel to the horse box set.

1246851573_P1050305(2).JPG.1a16321cfa76b91642d5339462f37655.JPG

560559245_P1050307(2).JPG.fcd23220627a81357ffcce83b38e49a8.JPG

Before I sprayed I masked off the lettering/numbering IO, or 10 on the compartment end, though I've no idea what it stands for or signifies.  Perhaps someone will enlighten me?

(I also considered re-positioning the shirtbutton totem, but as it's only half a plank out in the vertical plane compared with the photos I thought, hmm?- nah! - not this week anyway.  CBA, I'm afraid.)

P1050308_(2).JPG.a2b7caa329686b89632cc4c441a8f37a.JPG

P1050309.JPG.19f6ba8f7084ae4049e048ecb60c3d90.JPG

John C.

The "10" is the tare weight of the vehicle in tons. The equivalent number is (should be) on the ends of all GWR coaches and non-passenger coaching stock.

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Trying to mask off the cab front windows before spraying I managed to knock them inside the cab.  I was able to shake them out without disturbing the crew but couldn't see a way to get them back in without dismantling the entire superstructure into its component parts, including said crew.  So for the first time I used 'Glue 'n' Glaze' as a method of glazing rather than just a clear adhesive.  Usual disclaimer but I was quite impressed, and it only took a couple of minutes per window (plus drying time of course).

John C.

That's how I do all my smaller cab front windows now. I try and work out some arrangement for standing the loco on end first, just to give the window a chance of setting level from top to bottom, until the stuff starts hardening.

It's also good for very small windows in coaches as well, especially if using SEF flushglaze.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Helicopter shot?   I'd hate to see the helicopter you're using for such things.    The only helicopters I can think of that match to Shirtbuttons amount to gutted parasols with seats.

4 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Perhaps an autogyro was used  though not much hovering was possible!

I think Leaonardo might have something to say about that !

SS2848045.jpg.4caad32a67fdbe629ae5f6b756603615.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Helicopter shot?   I'd hate to see the helicopter you're using for such things.    The only helicopters I can think of that match to Shirtbuttons amount to gutted parasols with seats.

10 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Perhaps an autogyro was used  though not much hovering was possible!

Ok, balloon?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

A few more of 4908.  

The finish looks better from a distance than close up!  Had a lot of trouble getting varnish to go through an airbrush.  In time I'll probably re-do it, or replace it.

John C.

It looks like what is suppose to be. A work stained, far from pristine work horse, cleaned recently but not for a few days as it was now on freight diagrams. Many of us try very hard to get our engines to look like yours!

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

I do like a Hall with a small tender - especially on a class C fitted freight.  Imagine the noise as it rushed past!

Gerry

It's a very pretty combination that really shows off the fine lines of the locomotive. (I've not seen this pairing before.)

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I don't recall seeing this Main coal wagon before John, is it in the POWsides range perhaps.

Yep, POWsides - well spotted Robin.  But transfers only.  It started life as an Oxford Rail 'Leamington Priors Gas Co.' wagon in bright red, which I'd bought just to see what the OR wagons were like.  Applying the transfers to the sides proved a bit easier than I'd imagined.

John C.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1