Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

John Dew of this parish runs his Granby Junction layout automatically. I'm sure he'd be willing to share some tips.

As John (St Enodoc) suggests.....happy to answer any questions. If, understandably, you dont want to clutter your thread either ask on Granby or send me a PM. I can give you the links to some videos I have made which give a sense of the projects you can do.

Computor control is quite expensive and, by its very nature, not for everyone. For me I find it totally fascinating. It adds a whole new dimension to operating for this solitary modeller!

On another note I think your Affinity tweaks have made a big difference....those latest shots look brilliant

Best wishes

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all who've supplied info./suggestions re automated fiddle yards.  I've made notes for future reference.  (It's a long term aspiration rather than an immediate priority.)  Might ask questions of a few suppliers at Warley too.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

But the thing I really need to do in the fiddle yard is to motorise the 17 points, currently operated by Maplin slider switches (which also switch frog polarity) from the front of the baseboard.  This was an attempt to keep costs down in the midst of all the significant outlay when I started building the layout.

Capacity in the loops is a bit tight so, pending any automated stopping, trains are currently stopped manually when the front buffer faces align with the 'lollipop stick' indicators in the pic below.  Crude but effective!

272720187_P1050794(2).JPG.be6123c30344835a810da2d9dd01e362.JPG

John C.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, checkrail said:

But the thing I really need to do in the fiddle yard is to motorise the 17 points, currently operated by Maplin slider switches (which also switch frog polarity) from the front of the baseboard.  This was an attempt to keep costs down in the midst of all the significant outlay when I started building the layout.

Capacity in the loops is a bit tight so, pending any automated stopping, trains are currently stopped manually when the front buffer faces align with the 'lollipop stick' indicators in the pic below.  Crude but effective!

272720187_P1050794(2).JPG.be6123c30344835a810da2d9dd01e362.JPG

John C.

I like the sunset cloud formations in the backscene of that pic! :wink_mini:

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I hope you don't mind but because you mentioned 1939 and technicolour you gave me the idea to take one of your photos and replicate the distinctive feel of a 1930s colour photo:

I rather like this!  Shades of 'The Big Four in Colour'.  Thanks.

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photos but have you noticed the gap between the front frames and the running plate of the King?

1448528180_SCKinggap.png.267de5ec1476ee61cd8fcede22c7293b.png42626584790_f70d0d2d49_b.jpg

(It's a bit unfair to put those two photos alongside each other but they show how good the model really is in most respects!)

It seems to be a flaw of the model because upon examination my King looks exactly the same...

:sad_mini2:

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Getting some great pictures that are really doing the layout justice now.

DoF, colour and lighting just about right.

No stopping you now, try the camera on WiFi remote to your mobile phone so you can control it in places you can't normally get to, to operate it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, KNP said:

try the camera on WiFi remote to your mobile phone so you can control it in places you can't normally get to, to operate it.

Thanks Kevin. Might try that in due course once I've ceased to be the last person in the country not to have a smartphone!

• Friendly/supportive 2