Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Apologies if its buried somewhere in the last 44 pages - but what make are the signals?

Thanks for kind comment Neal.  Signals are heavily modified Dapol items.  For more details see Stoke Courtenay article in April 2019 BRM or a thread I started here on RMweb a few years back entitled 'Improving Dapol signals'. 

Cheers,

John.

• Thanks 1

It's been quite a while since I've visited here - I find the Layout Topics section just too busy to keep up with, so I've stopped trying! - but I just wanted to say how impressed I am with how the layout is looking.  I particularly like the trains you have put together, showing something of the prototype's mix of coaching  styles, and it is particularly good to see the toplights in the mix.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Thanks for kind comment Neal.  Signals are heavily modified Dapol items.  For more details see Stoke Courtenay article in April 2019 BRM or a thread I started here on RMweb a few years back entitled 'Improving Dapol signals'. 

Cheers,

John.

Found  it thank you!

Its surprising what a change those modifications have made. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

It's been quite a while since I've visited here

Nice to hear from you again - thanks for kind words.  I do now find that after 7 years I'm finally beginning to achieve the 'look' I was after, taking as my inspiration the pre-war photographs of Messrs. Lockett, Soole, Hubback, Earley et al.   I'm glad you like the mixture of coaching stock.  It sometimes seems as if the GWR had a rule that two similar coaches should never be coupled together!  I'm looking forward to acquiring & building more toplights if possible.  There was a rumour some months back that Slaters were going to take production of their lovely kits back in-house.  Don't know what's become of that and wouldn't want to mither them prematurely.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, checkrail said:

......There was a rumour some months back that Slaters were going to take production of their lovely kits back in-house.  Don't know what's become of that and wouldn't want to mither them prematurely.

I also heard that, but a check of the Slaters website and the carriages section still points to Cooper Craft.

It would be nice if the rumours were right as I wouldn't mind some more - although I did have a few issues getting them together. Hopefully next time round I would have the time to get them together properly / easier.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I also heard that, but a check of the Slaters website and the carriages section still points to Cooper Craft.

It would be nice if the rumours were right as I wouldn't mind some more - although I did have a few issues getting them together. Hopefully next time round I would have the time to get them together properly / easier.

Last  I heard from Slaters were that they were checking the tools, artwork and preparing instructions etc. They stuff they got back from CC was all in poor condition. At that time he said release was still a way off, since it had to fit in around their other work. 

Since then, they have had a major flood which disrupted the whole business. So I imagine we need to remain patient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Last  I heard from Slaters were that they were checking the tools, artwork and preparing instructions etc. They stuff they got back from CC was all in poor condition. At that time he said release was still a way off, since it had to fit in around their other work. 

Since then, they have had a major flood which disrupted the whole business. So I imagine we need to remain patient.

Thanks for this. I also seem to recall that someone on RMWeb was helping them getting it all back on track

• Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, checkrail said:

Cheers,

John.

As it's of interest, I thought I'd test the "New RMWeb" search facilities on this and they do work! Actual title is worded 'Improving Dapol GWR signals', a hurdle which new search engine handled easily!

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113601-improving-Dapol-gwr-signals/

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

A question for the Grangey types... did any of the class ever run with tenders lettered "Great Western", at any point, due to swaps or suchlike? I'm not a fan of the shirtbutton livery so would love an excuse to re-letter my own example.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

A question for the Grangey types... did any of the class ever run with tenders lettered "Great Western", at any point, due to swaps or suchlike? I'm not a fan of the shirtbutton livery so would love an excuse to re-letter my own example.

Never say never but looking the The Power of the Granges there isn't a photo of one but the book is mainly BR orientated.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1