Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

'A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault'.  - John Henry Newman

I do like your Cardinal Newman epigram Rich.  A new one to me but very apposite when approaching scary modelling projects.  Other sayings I recall when things aren't working out 100% as planned, or I'm making things worse when attempting to correct errors, are ' The best is the enemy of the good' and ' The man who never made a mistake never made anything'.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, checkrail said:

'A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault'.  - John Henry Newman

I do like your Cardinal Newman epigram Rich.  A new one to me but very apposite when approaching scary modelling projects.  Other sayings I recall when things aren't working out 100% as planned, or I'm making things worse when attempting to correct errors, are ' The best is the enemy of the good' and ' The man who never made a mistake never made anything'.

How about:

"If it ain't broke, break it."

or

"If at first you don't succeed, give up."

or

"If the job's worth doing, it's worth doing twice."

:(

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

How about:

"If it ain't broke, break it."

or

"If at first you don't succeed, give up."

or

"If the job's worth doing, it's worth doing twice."

:(

The 1st is me. Taking things apart is a speciality. I often feel like the second and the thought of the third really angers me. Hence I procrastinate too much. I saw written recently something that amounted to perfection stands in the way of progress. That sounds like the story of my modelling right now.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, do you have the approximate width of your bag platform (and the width of your waiting room that is on it) please?

given my struggles to get my own bay platform / waiting room looking right, I’m interested to see a comparison in widths. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, it looks like I have made the platform about 15mm too narrow based on those dimensions.  However it is within the gauging information I have found (all be it based on a 1950 document transcribed by Clive Mortimer elsewhere on the forum which gives the minimum platform edge to building as 24mm in 4mm scale.  So I think its going to work, “just”, all be it with the platforms looking a little narrow.  I wont be able to include the benches though as it would be too narrow for them…

Tested the signal approach at the weekend, everything seemed to work in principle so now it just the final soldering & installation once the platforms are finished.  Thanks again for it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Thanks Barry Ten, but here's my guilty secret -  I glued the second side on before the first had set hard, and somehow it moved a bit (ok, I must have knocked it). By the time I came to offer the roof up it would no longer fit quite rightly as one side of the coach was higher than the other at one end.  I did try to get a side off again, but by then the adhesive was firmly set and I began to bend the side in the attempt.  I did have a go at twisting the tin roof slightly, but that was fraught as I'd already detailed and painted it.  The only way the roof would fit was with the cantrails partly behind the sides, meaning that the tops of the ends needed filing down a bit making the whole coach just a smidgen too low, and the ends ending up (after application of filler) a little too wide at the top.

How to rectify this mess?  Well, I disguised it as best I could by adding new 'false' cantrails with microstrip.  Think I've just about got away with it!

Here are a few more pics.

C31_1.jpg.1698e67d2ee99f18190b02a27b4aad9b.jpg

P1060045.JPG.1cc5e6d4c8772fae9aaebd1caf9e8063.JPG

P1060046.JPG.9030e3e31b318cb7814d337450749172.JPG

And here's one of the other side, alongside a Slater's E88 compo for comparison.

P1060048.JPG.2b2e48922734dc81f4dcfa07e89c697f.JPG

John C. 

You can only see one side at a time though John, can't you?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Thanks for that, it looks like I have made the platform about 15mm too narrow based on those dimensions.  However it is within the gauging information I have found (all be it based on a 1950 document transcribed by Clive Mortimer elsewhere on the forum which gives the minimum platform edge to building as 24mm in 4mm scale.  So I think its going to work, “just”, all be it with the platforms looking a little narrow.  I wont be able to include the benches though as it would be too narrow for them…

Tested the signal approach at the weekend, everything seemed to work in principle so now it just the final soldering & installation once the platforms are finished.  Thanks again for it.

Six feet (24mm) is correct  Rich. It comes from the Ministry of Transport "Requirements", usually known as the Blue Book.

Here's a thought: place the building slightly off centre so that the side you can see is slightly further from the platform edge than the side you can't...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The close up is too cruel John @checkrail the carriage is only ever seen in the train and then it looks the part.

If you hadn’t said about the various issues, no-one would know.

Thanks as ever for sharing.

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Neal has beaten me to it, as he said if you had shown us the pictures of the train the first thought is that looks more like a typical GW train. I have been building models for a long time now and I am never completely satisfied when constructing them but once they are on the layout I don’t notice the faults and, yes, close up photos are cruel.

A lovely layout and I wish that I had the space to realistically run express trains.

Brian

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just for comparison here are the Diamond wagons, old and new or little and large.  Note the identical numbers - both purport to be models of the same vehicle.  But Bachmann did make a lovely job of the printing.

P1060070.JPG

The Dapol 10 foot w'base steel underframes on the E & B wagons didn't go to waste either.  Lurking in a drawer I had an ancient Airfix/Mainline GW van with couplings like snowploughs on huge blocks and the brake shoes aligned with the W irons. But the body and decoration were ok.  I also remembered that I had a Ratio kit for a 'grounded van body' given as a freebie with RM a year or two back.  A bit of carving the underframe to fit, some Dave Franks buffers and coupling hooks, a bit of lead weighting, and after application of paint and transfers another Mink was ready for the road.  Waste not, want not.

Here's Broome Hall on a westbound freight with the old Airfix/Mainline van immediately behind the engine and the Ratio one behind that.

P1060061.JPG.101adfd377e32a70c5c232e842664e76.JPG

326558831_P1060062(3).JPG.7b2720cfc37d6618946ff91195b46c02.JPG

John C.

Edited by checkrail
put pics in right order
  • Like 15