Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, checkrail said:

4018 Knight of the Grand Cross on the Wolverhampton train pulls through Stoke Courtenay and meets 5975 Winslow Hall coming the other way with a stopping passenger train.

l9.jpg.f2057af24e84ed2011d511427940d355.jpg

Spent quite a bit of time this afternoon exploring Affinity Photo and other photo software to see how to paint in uniform backdrops (or paint out unwanted contrasts), but have retired baffled.  I read thousands of words and came across dozens of icons, none of which I understood at all.  Will have another go when brain working properly again!

l10.jpg.e10ecd9bc79bcb8425d97753c5c98587.jpg

John C.

Every time I see your Toplights it makes the urge to build mine stronger.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Every time I see your Toplights it makes the urge to build mine stronger.

Do you mean that it strengthens your urge, or that when you made them they weren’t very robust?

I do think we need to be told...

(Although I am not sure what it is we should be told. Not that there would be any point in being told, if I already knew.)

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Do you mean that it strengthens your urge, or that when you made them they weren’t very robust?

I do think we need to be told...

(Although I am not sure what it is we should be told. Not that there would be any point in being told, if I already knew.)

I can tell you anything you'd like to know Simon, whether it's true or not (I'm a consultant after all).

No, I haven't built them yet. I've got about four kits that are on the list of about 30 still to go.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

27 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Not sure when Bachmann first produced their small prairies - quite a while before I returned to this game I think - but I think the model has stood the test of time.  Still one of my favourites.

I have four of them, I have to resist the urge to buy any more! They all run smoothly and do what is asked of them.

It is always a joy to catch-up on your layout, I am very envious!

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The tender looks really good John, are you tempted to do the loco to match or claim that it is a tender swap?

By the way I do like your passenger train with a real mix of coaches.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest John, what is your criteria for choosing which King to model especially as Laira had quite a few allocated in GW times. Of course, so did Old Oak.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Out of interest John, what is your criteria for choosing which King to model especially as Laira had quite a few allocated in GW times. Of course, so did Old Oak.

Nothing more than historical associations really Robin (my degree was in mediaeval history).  Henry V was at Laira in 1938.  Richard I started life at OOC in 1930 and I think stayed there throughout the 30s.  But by 1946 it had been transferred to Laira. 

There are plenty of pics of both of them on West Country expresses during the 30s in the various photo albums.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 04/04/2020 at 12:40, Bogie said:

Do not want to sound critical - this is more out of concern.  But does the yard crane have a lean on it?

Only just remembered this and just checked it out with the set-square.  You were right.  I thought it was solidly glued down but perhaps it took a knock during track cleaning.  Now restored to vertical. So thanks Bogie - the more pairs of eyes the better.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Thanks for some great pics.

I noticed in some of them that the foreground is a bit bleached out, as a result of being closer to the lamps you are using. Or maybe you are using flash?

It is very difficult to avoid this problem when taking layout photographs. Getting enough light on the whole subject inevitably means that some areas are going to get too much.

So I wondered if it would be worthwhile creating a Windows utility program to try to improve matters, by progressively darkening the lower part of an image. I'm sure that can be done in programs such as Photoshop and Affinity, but I thought a dedicated utility might be easier to use. It has worked out quite well, and I can tweak it further in the light (!) of experience. I'm happy to make it available (free) for anyone who would like to try it.

Here are some of the results on your photos, first the original, and then with a darkened foreground which helps to focus attention on the main subject:

sc1_org.jpg.338642c40429b92cf8d8c43cbd60f82e.jpg

sc1_mod.jpg.719faeeda7683f83dcd6ea512317d845.jpg

sc3_org.jpg.ab28e286e61a3fbea32bacddddf5a08f.jpg

sc3_mod.jpg.524456c5d9f6b4b3117a3d799f9fd705.jpg

sc2_org.jpg.8a6c2cbb25a498607e46f8c3e79e9fc5.jpg

sc2_mod.jpg.0f61c24c9f989758f2b7722720c12e79.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the utility in use. I will write more about it in a separate topic:

pd_shot.jpg.b8898a6f6fba4eff780a0007cec5020d.jpg

I'm hoping that you won't mind if I use one of your photos as a default image in the program?

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Martin.  No, don't mind at all if you use a Stoke C. image as your demonstration.  I'm delighted you thought it a suitably photogenic subject.

You're right re the slightly 'washed out' foreground effect being due to the auxiliary light source I often use - a DynaSun 500w photographic studio lamp found on eBay.  There's often a balance to be struck between getting enough light on the trains without the bleaching effect.  That said, we all see colours differently, and have personal preferences and perhaps my eyes are not as discerning as others'.  Though the more I look at your re-worked images the more I like them, I've always liked a 'pale' look to model railway photographs - makes things look lighter, more open and spacious.  Maybe something between my versions and yours would be my ideal.

I'm grateful, as ever, for the interest and suggestions and am sure lots of us will find this a useful tool.   Like 00-sf and Templot, another innovative contribution of yours to the hobby!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2020 at 19:24, checkrail said:

Nothing more than historical associations really Robin (my degree was in mediaeval history).  

Oh oh - do not read my recent post on Little Muddle about King Stephen then.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, checkrail said:

I've always liked a 'pale' look to model railway photographs - makes things look lighter, more open and spacious.  Maybe something between my versions and yours would be my ideal.

Many thanks John, and thanks for the kind words.

The program has several adjustment sliders, so if you prefer a paler look it can produce something like these, or maybe somewhere in-between:

sc4_mod2.jpg.1e0938fa4d6f91ca2889e8cf54089c28.jpg

sc4_mod3.jpg.8efa4481f731ae0716b4d35543b780c8.jpg

p.s. You could achieve similar results direct from the camera if you reduce the "colour saturation" setting on the menus, and maybe increase the contrast a bit.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1