Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Darwinian said:

If you want to save some effort     remember from 1920s on clerestory glazing was often painted/plated over.

Thanks Darwinian for useful info.   D'you know, looking at photos I thought that might be the case, or at least that they'd stopped cleaning them!

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Thanks Darwinian for useful info.   D'you know, looking at photos I thought that might be the case, or at least that they'd stopped cleaning them!

I’ve often wondered if they ever got cleaned too. Cleaners would have had to climb up there to do them, which must have been time consuming.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, Darwinian said:

Good to see such varied coaching stock including superb clerestory vehicles.

If you want to save some effort     remember from 1920s on clerestory glazing was often painted/plated over.

This was usually on clerestory stock having been fitted with electric lighting. In some cases, the glazing panels were removed altogether and plated over.

Mike Wiltshire

460368454_Teacarclere3418m.jpg.8ded1d7d64adbc28d6bddf6c31f65a44.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2020 at 07:55, Coach bogie said:

This was usually on clerestory stock having been fitted with electric lighting. In some cases, the glazing panels were removed altogether and plated over.

Mike Wiltshire

That's a superb modellers' photo Mike.  Which book is it from (if any)?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thought it was about time we had a goods train or two.  You'll also find a plea for help below.

Goods_1.jpg.32cb5a3e6f4292db6c9354d7117dba9c.jpg

Goods_2.jpg.4f97f244c5eff968f6463ef7de011530.jpg

Spent a pleasant time this morning making a video of some action at Stoke Courtenay, and need some advice as to how to upload it to RMweb.  My camera (Panasonic TZ100) shoots video in MP4 format, which RMweb doesn't support.  I've tried quite a few free online conversion sites.  Most have a size limit, which I've shortened the video to fit (again using an online tool).  But I can't find a suitable format that will download successfully to enable upload to RMweb.  Have seen some nice videos of some of my favourites on here recently so would be grateful to learn how you go about it.  

John C.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Thought it was about time we had a goods train or two.  You'll also find a plea for help below.

Spent a pleasant time this morning making a video of some action at Stoke Courtenay, and need some advice as to how to upload it to RMweb.  My camera (Panasonic TZ100) shoots video in MP4 format, which RMweb doesn't support.  I've tried quite a few free online conversion sites.  Most have a size limit, which I've shortened the video to fit (again using an online tool).  But I can't find a suitable format that will download successfully to enable upload to RMweb.  Have seen some nice videos of some of my favourites on here recently so would be grateful to learn how you go about it.  

John C.

The trick is - not to upload videos to RMWeb... !

What most people do is to upload to YouTube and then paste in a link to the YouTube video. RMWeb recognises YouTube links and expands them automatically.

You will need to create a YouTube "Channel" but don't worry that doesn't mean anything much and you can use it as you see fit - there's no obligation to upload regularly or to host adverts.

https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, checkrail said:

That's a superb modellers' photo Mike.  Which book is it from (if any)?

Not published as far as I know. I just pick them up when I can. If I have time, I trawl through photo boxes, at shows and preserved railways. I even came across a image of a Dreadnaught D42 at a car boot sale. I also have the luxury of being able to go through David Geen's vast collection of coach images.

Note the extra roof bits on this one, as it was converted to a tea car for a while, before reverting back to a brake third.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

That would be excellent John.

I know it can be quite a process to get what you want but the above video is testament to your layout and really brings it all to life.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Not published as far as I know. I just pick them up when I can. If I have time, I trawl through photo boxes, at shows and preserved railways. I even came across a image of a Dreadnaught D42 at a car boot sale. I also have the luxury of being able to go through David Geen's vast collection of coach images.

Note the extra roof bits on this one, as it was converted to a tea car for a while, before reverting back to a brake third.

Mike Wiltshire

Mike

From what you’ve said elsewhere, I appreciate it isn’t a priority for David at the moment,  but I was wondering has he ever given any thought to publishing his photo archive?  His GW/Soole albums are amongst my go to books particularly for learning about coach types.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Mike

From what you’ve said elsewhere, I appreciate it isn’t a priority for David at the moment,  but I was wondering has he ever given any thought to publishing his photo archive?  His GW/Soole albums are amongst my go to books particularly for learning about coach types.

David

I am still trying to get him to complete his dining car book. It is basically complete but new images and information needs to be added. Printing options came and went. One day. I would not know where to start with all the images. There is a large box file just with Brent images!

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I am still trying to get him to complete his dining car book. It is basically complete but new images and information needs to be added. Printing options came and went. One day. I would not know where to start with all the images. There is a large box file just with Brent images!

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike - dining car book sounds great... even if a book isn’t a commercial proposition, even a thread on rmweb of the images like DaveF’s would be much appreciated.

ps - if he has any West Midlands images, I’d particularly love to see those!

David

1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Thanks Mike - dining car book sounds great... even if a book isn’t a commercial proposition, even a thread on rmweb of the images like DaveF’s would be much appreciated.

ps - if he has any West Midlands images, I’d particularly love to see those!

David

His collection is based on Brent and carriages/rolling stock.

Mike Wiltshire

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

His collection is based on Brent and carriages/rolling stock.

Mike Wiltshire

A collection of photos I’m sure a few of us Brent modellers would love to see published, be that by book or by website. 

I am always looking out for photos of the station from more unusual angles, but for the most part on eBay especially it’s just the same handful of images over and over again.  I need to get to more shows to search through the photo boxes I guess, though hopefully there will still be some to go to once all this covid nonsense has ended!

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2