Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

16 hours ago, checkrail said:

Has it worked, after delving into the labyrinthine recesses of YouTube?

Perhaps!

John C.

Very Nice John. Can I ask how you constructed the Water Tower?

Connor

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely video John. There’s nothing to beat a pre nationalisation 8 coupled engine on a train of private owner wagons. The BR equivalent of 16 ton mineral wagons with only differing rust patterns to give any individuality is just not the same. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

And here's another video.  The signalman was pretty nifty in returning the branch home to danger, considering how fast that prairie was going!  I now remember Andy York telling me that models need to be driven more slowly for videoing or they'll seem unrealistically fast.

You'll have to wait a few seconds for the third train to appear.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poasub0bP2o

A bit to learn re video editing, not to mention the juggling and running around trying to harmonise locos, camera shutter, all at once!

John C.

Edited by checkrail
Restore link
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, checkrail said:

And here's another video.  The signalman was pretty nifty in returning the branch home to danger, considering how fast that prairie was going!  I now remember Andy York telling me that models need to be driven more slowly for videoing or they'll seem unrealistically fast.

You'll have to wait a few seconds for the third train to appear.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poasub0bP2o

A bit to learn re video editing, not to mention the juggling and running around trying to harmonise locos, camera shutter, all at once!

John C.

"This video is private"

Maybe best that I couldn't view it then. :blush:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

"This video is private"

Sorry about that!  Had changed on YouTube from 'private' to 'unlisted' but hadn't clicked on 'DONE'.  Just finding my way round YouTube.  Link works now.

John.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, CCGWR said:

Can I ask how you constructed the Water Tower?

Thanks Connor.  Water tower is a Bachmann Scenecraft special commission for Kernow Model Railways, based on the one at St Ives, though there are plenty of pics of near identical ones across the GW system.  From what I remember it's a sort of CKD kit in that you have to add the latticed girders and ladder (both supplied).  I repainted it in Railmatch GW dark & light stone to tone with my other buildings.  I also found I had to discreetly cut through the diagonal braces in one or two places to get it standing level with all 6 legs vertical.   But it was just what I wanted for Stoke C.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

The signalman was pretty nifty in returning the branch home to danger

Very nifty - he’s supposed to wait until the train has passed over *points in the route so that if he has an aberration, the signal off stops him moving the points.

* Deliberately vague over ‘all points’ or ‘facing points’ as I can’t remember!

Very nice seeing moving pictures.

Paul.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice videos John, can I ask about the coal wagon in your rake, OCEAN please. Is it a POWsides job perhaps ? I'm looking for some Welsh based wagons myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bgman said:

Does this help John ?

Yeah - thanks!  Looking forward to more trying more simultaneous multi-tasking railway operation, movie making and choreographics!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, gwrrob said:

can I ask about the coal wagon in your rake, OCEAN please.

There are three Ocean wagons in that train.  One is indeed from POWsides - transfer only which I applied to a Bachmann 7-planker (but didn't get absolutely straight!).  The others have bodies from old Trix/Lilliput wagons, with 9ft wb wooden chassis from Cambrian Kits.  I had one of these Trix wagons 50 years ago and was impressed with the printing for that time, so I looked for some on eBay and eventually got four (but not cheaply).  Trix models were made to a strange hybrid scale - something like 3.8mm to the foot IIRC.  But lengthwise they're spot on for a 4mm scale 9ft u/f.  (The u/f they came with was an anachronistic monstrosity.)  And I have read in the past of coal being delivered to West Country towns in Ocean wagons.

Have a look at the vid again and you might spot all three.  The POWsides version is the second to appear.

It made me smile to get a S. Welsh coal wagon marked 'Return to Treorchy' in a swish plastic box stamped 'Made in Austria'.

Saga's not over - I've also acquired a 00 Graham Farish Ocean wagon.  Don't know quite what I'm going to do with it yet.  Once again the u/f is totally incorrect, but it's the free-est running model I've ever known - a quick flip with a finger and it glides round the whole layout.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, checkrail said:

Edging towards the cropped ones.

John, I'm going to be contrary and say that I prefer the uncropped versions. I like the way they show the embankment clearly and make you think you are standing at the bottom looking up. The cropped ones don't give me the same frame of reference.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

John, I'm going to be contrary and say that I prefer the uncropped versions. I like the way they show the embankment clearly and make you think you are standing at the bottom looking up. The cropped ones don't give me the same frame of reference.

You obviously never climbed over the fence to get a closer look... ;)

• Funny 6

Morning John,

As always lovely pictures of a splendid layout. 

I find myself in a bit of a tizz, as it seems, you were a few years back. I am referring to the saga of tank locos and the lettering colour. Did you ever get the them bottom of the yellow v gold lettering for tank locomotives please?

I am trying to finish a lined 39xx around the early 1920s period. I have read your discussion and have come to similar conclusions although I have two pictures of the class (black and white), one appears to have gold lettering albeit in factory grey livery whilst the other appears to be yellow 1909. Both are from Russell's Great Western Locomotive book Vol2 pp71 and 73. It might be that the later of the two pictures is appearing yellow but is truly gold.

:banghead:

Hopefully you have the answer please!!!! 

Thank you for your time and any light you can throw on this one.

Definitely has a garter between 'Great Western' that is something rock solid.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

I find myself in a bit of a tizz, as it seems, you were a few years back. I am referring to the saga of tank locos and the lettering colour. Did you ever get the them bottom of the yellow v gold lettering for tank locomotives please?

I'm afraid I didn't, so it remains a mystery to me too.  Nothing in my old edition of 'Great Western Way'.  Perhaps Miss Prism of this parish might be able to help?  Thanks for kind comments, and if you do find out more please let us know. These things are fast receding into history, and it's notoriously hard to interpret colour from old b & w photos.  

Regards,

John.

• Thanks 1