Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
On 07/06/2020 at 14:48, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

. Basically; if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.........

22 hours ago, Regularity said:

...it’s a character in the Railway Series?

....it's a Gresley A4?

Or some bloke named Phil who's trying to model Seaton Junction...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Here's something on the workbench at the moment, to complete my Paddington-Penzance rake of 60 footers.  More about this when I manage to finish it.

P1060255.JPG.22b7df93ac40a4e50583483ce37b6f8a.JPG

Have since sprayed the sides brown & cream, but on removing the masking tape I found a waist stripe of grey primer where my positioning of the tape was less than perfect.  And it's probably a little bit too wide to be covered by the lining.  So back to the 'spray booth', aka large cardboard box.

John C.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

While I'm watching paint dry here's another video of passing trains at Stroke Courtenay.  Sorry about the wobble at start & finish.  The video button on the camera is very small and quite recessed - difficult to keep everything steady while jumping out of the way to grab the controller.

Looks like that shunting pannier has decided to run away at the end!

John C.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

I have enjoyed watching your videos

I can relate to the shortage of hands syndrome, Juggling with controllers, camera and making sure the trains behave themselves.....although I suspect the latter may not be a concern.....your trains look very well schooled.......in my case the moment my locos see a camera/iphone they  develop all manner of previously undisclosed foibles.

If you are not doing so already, using a video editor may give you a bit more time......start shooting earlier and then cut it until a couple of seconds before the first train arrives.....similarly at the end. There are a number of free video editors for Windows. I shoot with iphone/ipad and edit with ivideo (I believe this works with a Mac as well).

Best wishes

John

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 10/06/2020 at 15:23, checkrail said:

Have since sprayed the sides brown & cream, but on removing the masking tape I found a waist stripe of grey primer where my positioning of the tape was less than perfect.  And it's probably a little bit too wide to be covered by the lining.  So back to the 'spray booth', aka large cardboard box.

John C.

Looks a D121. They were built for the Bristolian, but I have seen more images of them in the West Country than in the Bristolian rakes.

I had to trim my Comet sides slightly (most comet sides are deliberately over length) to fit the Bachmann/Palitoy body. 

I thought I had an issue with mine. When first painted, the choc/cream split looked like it was on the slant. It was an optical illusion because of the lower waistband and raised van windows. Force of habit - I nearly put the  guard branding in the chocolate panel and not the cream!

I look forward to seeing this one complete. I am impressed how you got the roof tanks off. NIghtmare job. There is also a D124 cross country van third, from Comet hat is a good fit to the Bachmann/Palitoy body.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 10/06/2020 at 15:23, checkrail said:

Here's something on the workbench at the moment, to complete my Paddington-Penzance rake of 60 footers.  More about this when I manage to finish it.

P1060255.JPG.22b7df93ac40a4e50583483ce37b6f8a.JPG

John C.

Is that a 60 or a 61ft side?  What was your plan for dealing with the difference in length between side and source coach?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Looks a D121.

Dead right Mike - a D121 it is!  And yes, I had to shorten the sides a bit to fit.  Think I lost a few from the lines of roof rivets when I got rid of the surplus water tank, but not noticeable after several coats of Lifecolor roof dirt from the airbrush.  Same goes for the revised arrangement of shell vents.  Thanks for the tip re the D124.  Must look that one up.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Is that a 60 or a 61ft side?  What was your plan for dealing with the difference in length between side and source coach?

I just cut some off at the van end where there's plenty of blank space.  Only the experts will be able to tell.  (Though I think the Bachmann C77 donor coach should also be 61 foot rather than 60)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a bit better. A coat of varnish to follow then to see if I can avoid making a mess of the transfers.  Going to be interesting putting the numbers and door brandings on the cream.

P1060276.JPG.6adf5141b46c433fafd2c33924e15c13.JPG

John C.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

I just cut some off at the van end where there's plenty of blank space.  Only the experts will be able to tell.  (Though I think the Bachmann C77 donor coach should also be 61 foot rather than 60)

that makes sense, the Bachmann one is a bit of an oddity in that they made it 60ft6 long so it’s wrong for both! 

That said, I much prefer the roof detail of the Bachmann model so I am rather tempted to Go down the same route.

sides are looking good so far!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Splendid. Those droplights without doors must have driven people to distraction at times - imagine being a bit 'worse for wear' hanging out the window fumbling for the door handle in the dark... . Maunsell stock on the Southern had lots of them too. There would be no ventilation on the corridor side otherwise I guess.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, number6 said:

Those droplights without doors must have driven people to distraction at times - imagine being a bit 'worse for wear' hanging out the window fumbling for the door handle in the dark... . Maunsell stock on the Southern had lots of them too. There would be no ventilation on the corridor side otherwise I guess.

Thanks number6. 

Ha ha - yes, indeed.  Can just imagine my younger self  doing that!  (Remembering - from the early 70s - waking up in a dead train at 3 am in a carriage siding at Guildford, having intended to get off at Surbiton around 11.45 pm.)  But for corridor-side ventilation why didn't they just put in airstream ventilators like they did with the compartments on the other side of the same coach?  And who would adjust the droplights anyway?  Weird, and does seem like clinging to tradition.  

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann donor vehicle on which my D121 was grafted required a bit of work.  Most of this was to the roof, where the layout of shell vents needed changing and one of the roof tanks had to be removed.  This involved a bit of careful work with riffler files and sanding sticks.  It looked a bit of a mess at first but after a few coats of Lifecolor roof dirt it came out better than I'd expected.

D121f.jpg.1ca25235724ade5fefcb88e6b2232e0c.jpg

D121g.jpg.7e7134f68f94bbbcab6e20576778e972.jpg

The underframe got some new MRD sprung buffers at one end where the donor coach was missing a buffer, while the solebar footboards were carved off/added from Plastikard as appropriate to follow the footboard layout of the D121.  Finally the steps below the guards' doors were added from handrail wire and bits of Plastikard.  

D121e.jpg.b0a05eb645d555fb89f0321a9e6e4b36.jpg

I did have quite a bit of trouble getting the sides to lie absolutely flat and stick firmly to the coach even with superglue.  There's not a lot of clearance round the edges and I think the sides might have become slightly distorted.  One thing I have learned is that the tumblehome on coaches, whether pre-formed or not, can become slightly flattened through repeated handling in the various painting and detailing processes, even though I tried always to rest the upper half on a piece of dense foam.  I ended up using the microstrip false cantrail trick again on the corridor side, and think I might need to do it with the other side too.

John C.

Edited by checkrail
typo
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10