Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

Comet sides have been overlength from the start of Comet. I used to buy from Malcolm when he was alive and he told me it was deliberate as they were all originally intended only for RTR coaches which could vary in length. It gave the builder more options with donor bodies as there was not a huge range of rtr coaches available when they started. My first Comet sides went on BSL body kits as BSL were readily available from several retailers.

My last Comet was a K38  full brake which went on a Hornby suburban Collett. Took two evenings. Back when Comet started the only option would be what is now the Railroad Colletts which came with mk1 bogies at the time and would have taken a couple of weeks to convert.

Mike Wiltshire.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

Fine work, John, and very inspiring.

I've only used Centenary sides on RTR donor vehicles and I think they're the right length as supplied (at least, I don't remember having to do any trimming).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Comet sides have been overlength from the start of Comet. I used to buy from Malcolm when he was alive and he told me it was deliberate as they were all originally intended only for RTR coaches which could vary in length. It gave the builder more options with donor bodies as there was not a huge range of rtr coaches available when they started. My first Comet sides went on BSL body kits as BSL were readily available from several retailers.

My last Comet was a K38  full brake which went on a Hornby suburban Collett. Took two evenings. Back when Comet started the only option would be what is now the Railroad Colletts which came with mk1 bogies at the time and would have taken a couple of weeks to convert.

Mike Wiltshire.

That's very interesting Mike, thanks. This might be a question too far but is there any simple way to tell where the extra length is, other than by comparing with drawings (where available)?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, checkrail said:

Final comments on my experience with the D121 build.  First time I've used Comet parts and was a bit puzzled by a couple of things.  The first was the length of the etched sides, which I had to shorten quite a bit with razor saw, files etc.   I did this at the van end where there was enough blank space.  But why were they so long in the first place?  Russell has the D121 as 69 ft 11 1/4 inches (61 foot, near as dammit), and the C77 and E159 subjects of the Bachmann coaches exactly the same.  And the Bachmann models are exactly 244mm long. Don't quite understand.  Am I missing something here?

The Bachmann Collett bodies I have measure 242mm over corners with the rulers I have.

Chris

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, chrisf said:

The Bachmann Collett bodies I have measure 242mm over corners with the rulers I have.

You're right Chris.  I've just re-measured and the Bachmann Colletts are indeed 242 mm, not 244.  I should have picked this up when @The Fatadder mentioned them as being 60 1/2 feet.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/06/2020 at 00:13, St Enodoc said:

That's very interesting Mike, thanks. This might be a question too far but is there any simple way to tell where the extra length is, other than by comparing with drawings (where available)?

I have just a goo hunt and I have found the oldest set of unopened Comet sides, No tumblehome still with original price label of £3.25!

On an all third, line up the windows against the plan there is an extra 2 mm  at each end. 

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I have just a goo hunt and I have found the oldest set of unopened Comet sides, No tumblehome still with original price label of £3.25!

On an all third, line up the windows against the plan there is an extra 2 mm  at each end. 

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike. I've still got a few like that too (plus some Tony Hammond sides and a set of Blacksmith etches for a K18 brake)! No price labels though

I'll save that tip for the all third. For the brake, if I match that at the compartment end and do whatever's needed at the brake end that will do for me too.

• Agree 1

Ah. Hammond sides. I used to buy these all the time as finances allowed. I dug out the ex Royal train linen van, a couple of weeks ago as a Summer project. I would not have been able to put together the Penzance TPO if it had not been for Hammond.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

Ah. Hammond sides. I used to buy these all the time as finances allowed. I dug out the ex Royal train linen van, a couple of weeks ago as a Summer project. I would not have been able to put together the Penzance TPO if it had not been for Hammond.

Mike Wiltshire

If you're interested I can send you a list of what I've got. I'm highly unlikely to use them.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

If you're interested I can send you a list of what I've got. I'm highly unlikely to use them.

Thanks but I am overstocked myself. I have a five coach Royal Train to complete., That will take me a year.

Mike Wiltshire

• Friendly/supportive 3

Looks great and the pictures now to this area justice.

Forget the trains for now more scenic shots please.

You could always have a go at the bikes I posted the other day!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Forget the trains for now more scenic shots please.

Thanks Kevin, but there's not much more scenery to photograph - just a few bits of grass and trees. 

Regarding bikes , I bought some very nice laser cut ones a couple of years or so back (Scale Model Scenery maybe?), but somehow lost them within a  day or two of receipt.  I do remember unwrapping them and being rather impressed.  But because they were flat, fibrous and the colour of cardboard I think I might have thrown them away with the packaging. Might give them another go. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Looking great as ever John @checkrail.

Today I have been working on the scenic corner my Pendon pub sits in and you have given me a few ideas.... I need a horse trough. Is that a harburn model?

Thanks, Neal.

• RMweb Gold

Those look terrific. I have no idea how you might finish wheel rims etc like that in 4mm!! It's the little touches (as well as the overall conception...) that make LM (and SC) so special. Top notch. :D 

Alastair M

Edited by A Murphy
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2020 at 07:54, KNP said:

I have also used the ScaleModelScenery laser cut bikes.

Gosh, you have as many bikes on your layout as locos!  They look very good Kevin, and I love the way you've customised and detailed them.  Will definitely get some more. Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/06/2020 at 22:18, Neal Ball said:

I need a horse trough. Is that a harburn model?

As far as I remember Neal the horse trough (plastic) was part of a Wills set of war memorial, bench and trough.  The bench too is now outside the pub.

• Informative/Useful 2