Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, checkrail said:

I don't post many photos showing the layout underpinnings but here's an exception, as 5975 slows to a halt with the M set.

SC1.jpg.75a3904fa5840cd4f890e0863a4f6235.jpg

The red push-buttons on the fascia are to operate the much modified Dapol signals.  The spare hole to the left is for a switch to operate a new Dapol single-arm bracket signal (in my possession but not yet installed).  This will replace the branch platform signal (Ratio) which you can see just beyond the footbridge - my last non-working signal.  (Except for all the ground signals I hasten to add!)

Everything else is switched from the Prodigy wireless handset, which can be seen here attached to the fascia with glue-on Velcro tape.  The list beyond it is of route settings, just in case I forget them.  

There's just one exception, the little silver on-off switch you can see, controlling the 12v bulb inside the church tower to show off the stained glass I installed.  Besides the Dapol signals that will be the only nod in the direction of lighting on this layout.  And I have to say I very rarely remember to switch it on. 

Some new bicycles have now appeared, scattered around Stoke C., to replace the old Scalescenes ones now residing inside the vacuum cleaner.  These are the laser-cut ones from Model Railway Scenery.  Nice.

John C.

I like that John. As I've said before, I always like to see what goes on behind the scenes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

Interesting, that you've chosen to operate the fiddle yard points manually - for me, that was one of the attractions of DCC being able to set up macros to set routes through the fiddle yard.

I did realise back in 2012 that DCC would enable me to set up macros for routes through the fiddle yard as it did for the station, but opted to save money - I only had a couple of trains at that time, and there are 17 points in the fiddle yard.  But motorising and automating them is still the medium term intention.  First of all I need to add a bit of pointwork to allow trains from the branch (e.g. the returning branch goods) to get back to the branch fiddle yard via the up main line. A Peco 3-way point might do the trick.  Always more to do!

Edited by checkrail
typo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, checkrail said:

I rather like this last one of the forecourt.  It's spoilt by the unwanted view of one of the purlins, but in a busy life the the stolen moments for modelling are precious and leave little time for exploring photo processing.  (Having said that, I did accidentally stumble into the cloning tool on Affinity Photo about half an hour ago, but only succeeded in painting Eternit roof tiles all over bits of the sky.)

X5.jpg.d8f8f75c96b610dd2bc4ff7104f09c91.jpg

John C.

Thank you so much, John. They are great photos. (I never really noticed the wonderful wrought iron fence on this side of the forecourt before.)

That last one is the best of the bunch, despite the purlin which I really didn't notice until I read your comments!

The eye-level viewpoint makes a world of difference. Magazine quality. Superb!

:imsohappy:

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, checkrail said:

A week or two since anything here from me.  Been totally absorbed by my latest project for Stoke Courtenay's 'year of the coach'.  Seems I've been working on it for weeks, trying to restrain my impatience to hurry it and get back to playing trains.

More anon but some bits & pieces pictured below.

P1060393.JPG.2e961406daaa653ecf051d45a3792032.JPG

P1060405.JPG.26980dd7b128034c95237289e935a700.JPG

P1060406.JPG.b356f5298f274dd7ffd89ada16059b90.JPG

John C.

This looks like another fine addition to your coaching stock. I have acquired a couple of PC toplight kits but have decided to try and get some sides with relief on them. You may have mentioned this before, but where are these brass ones from? Cheers, Mark

• Like 2

13 hours ago, checkrail said:

Meanwhile on the up main line a 28xx emerges from the road overbridge with a through freight.

<>

And here's a more usual angle on the goods train.  The first angle was nice to discover but doesn't allow for much in the way of composition without including big chunks of the void at the centre of the layout.

<>

I'm rather fond of my dirty old 28xx, wobbly handrail an' all!

John C.

The new angle seems to be much better for a going away shot, else there is nowhere within the frame for the loco to be going. 

I'm rather fond of a 28xx too, especially one without outside steam pipes. 

• Agree 3

Worsley list it as an F20 slip which is an E95 with the corridor end removed and a slip end in its place. The sides are the same for both the F20/E95. Blacksmith used to have a slip end available to convert their E95 to a single ended F20 slip

Mike Wiltshire

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike.  I knew from Russell that they were basically the same coach but hadn't thought of looking at the Worsley works site under the slip diagram.  Might be that WW are missing a few potential sales here?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1