Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Now that is interesting - I'd like to know where Iain got that information from.  Off the top of my head the GWR Channel Island steamers were oil fired from the mid 1920s when new vessels were provided for the service. 

Iain Rice includes quite a few photos of his friend Andrew Duncan's splendid layout based on the Weymouth lines, and (from memory) judging by some of them, e.g. Slater's toplights finished with full panel painting & lining I think the layout was/is set in the 1920s.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Will you be getting one of the new Dapol mogul’s John

You bet Robin!  Had one o/o with Hattons since announcement.  As I ordered a DCC-fitted one I'll have to wait a couple of weeks longer .

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I always enjoy your posts John but the last one was particularly  good. The photographs are superb .

I particularly like the one of the new signal and the clarity of the signal which is behind. Could you tell me approximately what the distance is between the two signals? Partly inspired by you, I am persuading myself to start installing some Dapol signals and I am worried I might be putting a couple too close together ( from a visual rather than a mechanical point of view)

Loved the anecdote about the mayhem that followed leaning over the layout for a screw driver.....thought that sort of thing only happened to me! You have now, I am afraid , slipped ever so slightly from the pinnacle of perfection:D

Hope you enjoy  the Mogul.....I suspect you will still get yours before me.

Best wishes

Edited by john dew
Added missing “good “ !
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking good.

I feel your pain re the failed point motor, I had much the same with Brent over the summer, heat expansion causing problems and causing a fault with the only motor that is not under its point.  Though it’s remote linkage is under the layout you can’t see a thing.   

I have tried to think about all the possible future angles when painting, but I’m sure I will make a similar shortcut i live to regret somewhere 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, john dew said:

always enjoy your posts John

Thanks John for morale boosting comments!

The two signals are a bit further apart than they might seem from that foreshortened (and focus-stacked) view.  I've just measured the distance between them and it's over 330mm - about 13 1/2 inches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I must say after following your installation of these signals there is now growing demand for these on LM.

Thanks for showing the build as it is always useful to see how things are built and fitted especially at present where we can’t wander in a shop/show and inspect before buying.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m glad you like it John. To see some of the comments elsewhere you’d think it was an awful thing.

I will be having one but I can’t make my mind up. They weren’t all that common in Cornwall. BR black would be obvious but I fancy a green one. In my period 6301 was in lined green but ran with an unlined tender - that would be interesting... 6397 was unlined green so I could do that from the GW liveried one with the smokebox number plate and change the tender insignia. There again I might do 6305 in plain black... Confusing myself! Hopefully I’ll make my mind up before they’re all gone!

As Carol says “You know too much. Your head is full of useless information!”

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I’m glad you like it John. To see some of the comments elsewhere you’d think it was an awful thing.

I will be having one but I can’t make my mind up. They weren’t all that common in Cornwall. BR black would be obvious but I fancy a green one. In my period 6301 was in lined green but ran with an unlined tender - that would be interesting... 6397 was unlined green so I could do that from the GW liveried one with the smokebox number plate and change the tender insignia. There again I might do 6305 in plain black... Confusing myself! Hopefully I’ll make my mind up before they’re all gone!

As Carol says “You know too much. Your head is full of useless information!”

6305 in black for me first off. If I like it, I'll get an inside steam pipe version that will become 6300, which might have been unlined green in the late 50s. I don't really need three but if I did the third would probably be 6397.

• Friendly/supportive 4

I picked mine up from Peter's Spares on the way to work. I am really impressed. I was surprised and pleased how much it hauled for a plastic loco. I put it on an eight coach parcels train on the run up and down the incline and there was no issue. I usually have to add weight to rtr to do this.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 11