Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Premium
On 17/11/2020 at 11:56, checkrail said:

Mainline action today as two Kings pass on the bridge.

k1.jpg.157b99521ab4ff46327e0f030c1a5dd7.jpg

k2.jpg.65ad609913b97d696c07fb83dfbeafdd.jpg

k3.jpg.9d929554defe42aa26b7f4a5be002295.jpg

k4.jpg.ac092cd2802119ef6491450740d55480.jpg

k5.jpg.4379aec83cdea7f6fc79a7fcf9c686b7.jpg

John C.

Won’t be long before they’ll be joined by another King with a Star in the distance. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Which bogies are you using, John?

They're bogie sides from old PC kits - AFAIR 8 foot Americans came with the compo and brake 3rd.  I've bought a few PC kits over the years, and when I've come to open them the contents haven't necessarily been what's shown on the box.  And some I've cannibalised for earlier projects, so what's left is all pretty mixed up.  Couldn't find any whitemetal bolsters so made my own from Plastikard.  (Of course, since then I've found them - but only three!)

Edited by checkrail
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, checkrail said:

They're bogie sides from old PC kits - AFAIR 8 foot Americans came with the compo and brake 3rd.  I've bought a few PC kits over the years, and when I've come to open them the contents haven't necessarily been what's shown on the box.  And some I've cannibalised for earlier projects, so what's left is all pretty mixed up.  Couldn't find any whitemetal bolsters so made my own from Plastikard.  (Of course, since then I've found them - but only three!)

Thanks John. I haven't got any of those but I do have some old Mailcoach and even older K's Americans. They should do the trick, when I eventually get round to building mine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nice, always good to see such a variety of coaches in the passenger formations, seeing that coal train (plus having had the Pendon one pop up on Facebook earlier in the week) is really making me want to get modelling some more private owner wagons.  I think 20 or so makes for a decent looking rake, (which I think means I need to buy another 10)

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Lovely "gift" for the grandchildren John, like many of your followers here I expect they have thoroughly enjoyed the videos.

Even if the 28xx is "slightly" short of is load it is very Pendon-esk and a treat to see it, as are all the other loco's and stock on the layout.

Thank you.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, checkrail said:

I know that 6305 didn't receive outside steam pipes until after the war, but for all I know by the late 1930s it may well have had the lower safety valve cover, a later pattern vacuum pipe, and a shirtbutton monogram on the tender.  If so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

John, I've references to a couple of pre-nationalisation photos of 6305 - both shew it to have a tall SV cover. They are

• circa 1932, Taunton Steam, Colin Maggs, Millstream Books, p107, at Taunton
  • 17 December 1946, GWRJ 31, p376 at Taunton West

which might reassure you, but the 1932 photo does shew it to have a firebox with lower washout plug positions.

Very impressive looking weathering.

Martin

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, martinT said:

I've references to a couple of pre-nationalisation photos of 6305 - both shew it to have a tall SV cover.

That's good to know Martin.  Thanks for this reassuring info.  I'll just have to live with the incorrect washout plug positions!  (TBH they're not the kind of details I notice - in my book 'overall impression' beats scrupulous accuracy any day.)

Cheers,

John.

• Agree 8

You have to be careful with all the variants, David Andrews Book is very good - Churchward 2-6-0s, depending on date and number you could have a choice not only of tenders, but liveries, short or long safety- valve, polished or painted, a lot depended on how far the location was away from Swindon, or so it seems.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7