Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

1 minute ago, KNP said:

Hang on, to quick.

I need to get the numbers down and my pencil's broken.

OK, what was the last one?

Put that bottle of Tizer down and pay attention ! :D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Do you remember little Jimmy Scants? I think he was in the class below you and his knees were always grazed so everyone called him "Scabby" Scants.

He squeezed under the fence on the same day and he brought his daddy's Agfa 44. Even though the train was moving quite fast he managed to get this:

1186282784_sampfordtunnel1.jpg.e7b94adb121b9b34e689a6c510477c11.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Even though the train was moving quite fast he managed to get this:

That's great Phil.  Given the 30s theme I was wondering whether one of these shots might look good in b & w, and if so which one.  Think you've decided it for me.

Thanks,

John.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The '"year of the coach" has slipped into 2021, with the last items in the programme*, three Slater's toplights,  still on the workbench.  Work is proceeding but, to paraphrase Hirohito, "not necessarily to Stoke Courtenay's advantage".  For some reason I'm finding these much more difficult than previous ones.  I've just spent three-quarters of an hour trying to locate and cement the first grab handle (of 44) without success, only for it to finally ping off the tweezers and disappear for ever.  Though not before leaving scarring and glue stains on the coach side.  Time to do something else and return to them later.

J4.JPG.1243cffd7b9bf082c6ae889bd666b6b0.JPG

P1060613.JPG.c5b53142d41427abd41fcaa04df5092b.JPG

* Well, they're not quite the last. As others have said it was disappointing that no further Collett bow-end types featured in Hornby's 2021 plans (though one must admit they've treated us in recent years), so I've just ordered Comet brass sides for a rebuilt H33 restaurant car from Wizard Models.  (I cut out and kept the excellent May 2016 article in RM by@westernerof this parish, which will be very useful guidance.)

John C.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2021 at 22:30, checkrail said:

As usual with OR wagons there were a couple of modifications required.  The couplings are always much too long, leaving about half a wagon length between vehicles (Ok, I exaggerate a bit!).  There was no way to shorten them other than to saw the coupling mounting blocks off the underframe and replace with Peco/Parkside versions and short Bachmann TLs.

A tip I've found with these OR tank wagons is to remove the coupling including their wedge shaped adaptor and replace it with Hornby's similar X 6354 and then a short Bachmann TL will fit.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Have just made a short video of 5557 arriving at Stoke C. with the branch train from Earlsbridge, to demonstrate the 'Brian Kirby' coupling modification in action.   It was done in response to @Chris Chewterfollowing recent posts on his lovely 'Tetbury' layout, but perhaps others might be interested.  (The footbridge was temporarily removed for clarity.)

The next pic shows the section of track which has the magnets underneath the ballast.  (The ballast isn't quite as neat as elsewhere so I rather think this might be a location where I installed or re-positioned the magnets after ballasting the track.)

P1060615.JPG.8457d812c3d7e98f1c6baacde4db1ac7.JPG

John C.

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Think of it this way: If you weren't visiting the loft regularly you wouldn't have noticed the problem until it had become much, much worse!

I hope the trees that have been watered don't start growing faster than all the others... :wink_mini:

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2