Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

What a lifeline these hobbies are in lockdown times, as noted in a whimsical 'Times' third leader today (triggered by Hornby's recent sales figures).  But my poor wife's hobby has just suffered from water ingress more than mine - they've had to open the sluice gates on the Mersey and flood her allotment, just as she retires.  Might even have to buy some vegetables this year.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2021 at 15:54, checkrail said:

so I've just ordered Comet brass sides for a rebuilt H33 restaurant car from Wizard Models

Here’s one I prepared earlier (sat on the shelf awaiting couplings)

43642F65-2015-4643-B84A-17CE5CF27B3B.jpeg.486d00b0de705bcb03f83cb0d172aed2.jpeg

if I was doing it again now I would use one of the latest Hornby bow ends as a basis rather than the old H33.  Well worth it for the better bogies, roof profile and underframe.  

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree.  Mine already goes part way with that idea - it's the original body & roof with Keen Systems ends & gangways and underframe & bogies from a new, i.e. 2016> Hornby Collett, plus some Comet gas cylinders and new, discontnuous footboards.  

P1060619.JPG.b174b01759861f6196718136b3b21e85.JPG

It's almost a shame to change it, and I know my lettering & insignia won't be anything like as good as Hornby's!  On the other hand I'll only have single waist lining to do.

Your photo reminds me how little there is below the cantrail for the new sides to adhere to.  It's those big windows.

John C.

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Your photo reminds me how little there is below the cantrail for the new sides to adhere to.  It's those big windows.

I've come to the conclusion that the best option now is to have Comet sides and ends soldered together, with the long parts of the fret soldered at 90 degrees to the top of the side.  then glue the original roof in place & fit on the RTR chassis. 

If a coach could be sourced for around £20 (as the new collets could a couple of years ago), its not much different in price to the full kit.  But it gets you much nicer components!

Where on earth did you manage to source Hornby Collett bogies?  Would much rather be using those than the Comet ones I am currently putting together for my TPO!

One thing that I would say makes a big difference to the roof on the Hornby H33 is to open up the ends on the rectangular cowling above the kitchen.  Makes a big difference against the solid plastic lump that comes as supplied.  (and when you've finished you can join the club awaiting Hornby to announce one next year...)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Where on earth did you manage to source Hornby Collett bogies? 

Useful info Rich. Thanks.  Actually I used a whole Collett coach underframe, bogies and all, after the body had suffered some minor damage.  As I was slowly replacing many of my wall-to-wall Colletts with other diagrams to create some GW variety I thought I could afford to sacrifice one!

• Like 6

I have been having fun with a Slater's toplight. I was asked to rescue it by a friend. He had paid a large sum of money to have it pro painted and could not find a way to finish it. Neither the builder or painter drilled out the commode and door handles before painting, The roof sits to high and the interior is too wide AGHHHH!

I have had to make a false ceiling to keep the sides parallel. This gets over the roof fitting. The top eave will be slightly deeper, but I have no intention of trying to get the sides off to move them up a bit. I have drilled out all the holes and will have to touch up the expensive paint job - luckily it is in the black areas so should not show up. I broke up the interior to original parts, cut them down to fit under the false ceiling and glued it all back together again. Commode handles lost, so I will be making up from wire.  I did say this was a friends didn't I?

1194163620_toplightwarped1lr.JPG.73b94115855ad08dec4b5e5cf69babf0.JPG2095410767_toplightwarped2lr.JPG.c317d6ded141de436ea94939056ad615.JPG1225783638_toplightwarped3lr.JPG.a65282ba3e2c14b9936696c9905b210f.JPG

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2021 at 15:25, Coach bogie said:

I have been having fun with a Slater's toplight. I was asked to rescue it by a friend.

Good work there Mike.  Sounds familiar.  I had to smile - you're rescuing one for a friend, while I'm normally trying desperately to correct errors of my own making.  But the principles are the same.

Funnily enough I took some pics of new toplights earlier this evening.  Hope to process them and post tomorrow.

John C.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Apologies - can't tell my As from my elbow.  It was @A MurphyI meant to type.  Apologies to him too!

Did he now then, well when you've finished with them you know where to shout.:P

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Are the variations on the chocolate intentional & prototypical?   

No, they're not intentional.  I started out using Halford's 'Peugot Cafe Noir' but found it a bit darker than the colour Hornby use, which in turn is a bit darker than Bachmann use.  So I've been using Railmatch GWR coach brown.  But I wish now I hadn't, as it's much lighter than the lot of them and the contrast bugs me a bit.  Should have stuck with the Peugot.  But short of the purgatorial task of repainting all the lower sides (think of all the transfers and door furniture!) I don't think there's much I can do about it now.

As for 'prototypical', well, colour & b & w photos show a lot of variation on the cream (it seems to have got sooty and dirty pretty quickly), but not so much, if at all, on the brown.

As for the 'brown vehicles'  I think you can get away with anything as long as it's matt and dirty!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3