Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

On 01/02/2021 at 22:06, Brassey said:

A 12 wheel Caley brake composite worked from Glasgow through to Weston-super-Mare prior to WW1.  Caley Coaches make the correct diagram.

A friend pointed me in the direction of one of these kits and I gave in in a moment of  weakness boredom and bought one of these kits. it has to have the most complicated bogie design I have ever come across.  I wished I had followed my earlier plan and and cut and shut some old Triang I have in the 'never happen' box. Luckily a quick email around and a set of cast alternatives has been sourced, so the brass kit is back on.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

A friend pointed me in the direction of one of these kits and I gave in in a moment of  weakness boredom and bought one of these kits. it has to have the most complicated bogie design I have ever come across.  I wished I had followed my earlier plan and and cut and shut some old Triang I have in the 'never happen' box. Luckily a quick email around and a set of cast alternatives has been sourced, so the brass kit is back on.

Mike Wiltshire

I need to source some 6 wheel bogies for a GW M15, any pointers on a source, please.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Actually, viewing it on my phone, the backdrop and low light looks like one of those days when it's just stopped raining where you are and the sun came out, but it's still throwing it down half a mile away. It's a rather good effect. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I need to source some 6 wheel bogies for a GW M15, any pointers on a source, please.

I picked up an M15 ready-made from eBay. The bogies have a BSL look about them, if that helps at all.

360424537_20200410003M15newspapervanonbogiespaintedsidetransfers.JPG.414095cf68d87d624371459003419171.JPG

• Like 11

11 hours ago, checkrail said:

I wouldn't have a clue, but hopefully Mike will see this and may be able to advise.

My stock is all allocated to projects. Three sources

Firstly Wizard/Comet @ £10.50. In stock according to Andrew's website.

image.png.ec0398e4ff2343d14a991dd720df04aa.png

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/bw1/

Second - Hornby LMS 6 Wheel bogies from cheap/scrap LMS diners if you can find one and cut off the axle boxes and replace with GWR ones from Dart castings.

Third -  contact Errol Sturman. I am told he still holds the tools/casting machines and supplied the last two proprietors of 247.

I have several rejected M15 etches myself with flaws that can be rectified needing bogies. The David Geen M15 etches did not come with 6 wheel bogies.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Have just found this thread after seeing the BRM video on YouTube.

Thought your interview was very good, down to earth and honest. @checkrail

I am building a similar loft layout at the moment, hope it turns out as nice as yours. Now I am going to read the whole thread.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Sorry for the thread hijack again John ;)but I can't resist shewing the Comet 6 wheel bogie in use on my H57. I really need to run this more often considering how much work went into building it.:rolleyes:

No apology required Robin - you can grace my thread with fine models like that anytime.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

You could add to your TPO set

Mike Wiltshire

1320721886_CharltonMail.jpg.6ff0b59d946129251b9fdc81e59ed1fc.jpg

L14? 

I did give serious consideration to adding one given it was in the early 47 working.  But  in the end settled on the late 47 formation  with the slightly less interesting L25s.  The fact that the latter was a lot easier for me to draw up certainly helped!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

L14? 

I did give serious consideration to adding one given it was in the early 47 working.  But  in the end settled on the late 47 formation  with the slightly less interesting L25s.  The fact that the latter was a lot easier for me to draw up certainly helped!

247 did the sides for a postwar version with  many of the panels plated over. I did not find out until I after I had bought one. Joys of mail order. I sold it on (not that he has done anything with it)

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

247 did the sides for a postwar version with  many of the panels plated over. I did not find out until I after I had bought one. Joys of mail order. I sold it on (not that he has done anything with it)

Mike Wiltshire

Shame the ex 247 sides never reappeared

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

John,

'But I'm now wondering if they are a bit too 'modern' for this type of service and whether I should have got a couple of the old Mainline/Bachmann period 1 vehicles instead.'

I am only going on "GWR in the 1930s" vols 1 & 2 and numerous mag articles, but I tend to agree with you John. I don't recall seeing pictures of uniform P3 rakes included in these trains - they seem to always be made up of whatever came to hand and whatever was attached from connecting services, thus P1 and later P2 vehicles, mixed in with ex-LNWR and occasionally ex-Midland vehicles seemed the 'norm'' through the 1930s.

Those Staniers look great though!

Best wishes,

Alastair

• Like 5