Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, checkrail said:

Which suggests that the third had the rivetted type so by a process of elimination the Hornby brake third had the welded type?  I now have two hybrids!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happened in real life, like the goods wagon with spoked wheels at one end and disc at the other.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

To get my Modelu lamps to stand up straight I push a very tiny amount of blutac in the base slit

Good tip.  Thanks Kevin.  I'll dig some out.  (I seem to remember someone once suggesting Tacky Wax?  Got some of that somewhere too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Before I finished with the N to W train I meant to ask if anyone knew about the coach roof board lettering for these services. Did it just say, e.g., 'Manchester (London Road) and Plymouth' or list some of the intervening stops?  

And could anyone point me in the right direction for info on LMS roof boards about which I know nothing.  

John C.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

I use Lifecolor 'weathered black' on coach ends.  As for the lower sides I've used both Halford's Peugeot 'Cafe Noir' and Railmatch GWR stock brown.  (See my post of 27 Jan on p74 of this thread, in response to a query from @AlfaZagato of this parish posted the same day.)   For upper sides I use Railmatch GWR stock cream.

(Funnily enough I've just been walking round the park wondering what colour early LMS coach ends were, and came back in to find your post.  Now to look it up online.)

Regards,

John.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, checkrail said:

(Funnily enough I've just been walking round the park wondering what colour early LMS coach ends were, and came back in to find your post.  Now to look it up online.)

They were red.*  How garish!

* Until about 1936 apparently.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 17/02/2021 at 10:33, checkrail said:

Before I finished with the N to W train I meant to ask if anyone knew about the coach roof board lettering for these services. Did it just say, e.g., 'Manchester (London Road) and Plymouth' or list some of the intervening stops?  

On page 101 of A Great Western Gallery there is a pic of signwriters at work in Swindon.  2 completed signs read "TORBAY EXPRESS" and "BRISTOL, SHREWSBURY & MANCHESTER (LONDON ROAD)".  What the 3 signwriters are working on reads: "SWANSEA, CxxxxxxxEWxxxxxBRISTOL, EXExxxx".  The last word is presumably Exeter, there is space on the board for one or two more.  Don't know if this helps at all.

Not all the coaches on the North to West Expresses ran to Plymouth.  Some ran to Penzance and some to Kingswear.  I have pics of LNWR stock at Penzance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

'There be pasties!', perhaps?

Thanks gentlemen.  It's becoming a bit clearer.  

As to the LMS coaching stock all the pics I've found of pre-war N to W trains in the various albums show motley collections of old stock, none with roof boards.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, checkrail said:

'There be pasties!', perhaps?

Thanks gentlemen.  It's becoming a bit clearer.  

As to the LMS coaching stock all the pics I've found of pre-war N to W trains in the various albums show motley collections of old stock, none with roof boards.

I have gone through my picture collection and the common theme is the L22 TPO and GWR coach, which came off at Bristol and much older, pre grouping LMS stock, on the Crewe/Manchester trains. I have not seen any noticeable roof boards on the LMS stock.

Smiths use to produce roof boards which had a Torquay to Manchester.

Mike Wiltshire

1720589554_Plymouthtomanlr.jpg.15874ac17045dbb8f4f1163817559bb0.jpg

322727339_roofboards1.jpg.1eb9cd911ef2f8288f661622302aed80.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I have gone through my picture collection and the common theme is the L22 TPO and GWR coach, which came off at Bristol and much older, pre grouping LMS stock, on the Crewe/Manchester trains. I have not seen any noticeable roof boards on the LMS stock.

Smiths use to produce roof boards which had a Torquay to Manchester.

Mike Wiltshire

1720589554_Plymouthtomanlr.jpg.15874ac17045dbb8f4f1163817559bb0.jpg

322727339_roofboards1.jpg.1eb9cd911ef2f8288f661622302aed80.jpg

Goodness me ! What a wonderful hotch-potch of coaching stock.

Thanks for showingf it - Rule 1 reigns!

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

I have gone through my picture collection and the common theme is the L22 TPO and GWR coach

That's a great pic Mike!

There's quite a bit about the Plymouth/Penzance and Torbay line cross country services (and the Paddington ones) in Beck & Copsey's "The Great Western in South Devon" for both weekdays and Sundays in the years 1932 and 1947.  They tell you a bit about the composition of the trains and stock ownership, though not usually the coach type  (and certainly not roof boards!).  Here's a 1932 example (which just might be the train in Mike's picture?):

12.30 p.m. Penzance

1 GW Mail Van (No. 838 or 840)   North Road      Bristol

1 GW coach                                      Penzance         Manchester

2 GW coaches                                   Penzance        Liverpool

1 LMS Bk Van                                    Penzance        Manchester

2 LMS coaches                                  Penzance         Manchester

1 GW coach                                       Penzance        Glasgow

1 GW Bk Van                                      Penzance        Sheffield

There are pages of this stuff, in all its bewildering complexity, with some portions for the north being attached to Paddington trains as far as Bristol, sections from the north overnighting at Bristol before being taken to Bath the following morning attached to a local train, then taken onward from there to Plymouth and Penzance, etc. etc.

Fascinating, but absolutely mind-boggling.  And all done without computers!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Fascinating, but absolutely mind-boggling.

And presumably confusing for the poor passengers! How many times did they experience a major change in the organization of their train on a journey from, say, Liverpool to Penzance or St Ives?

Folk today struggle with the Waterloo - Weymouth service when all they need to do is make sure they are in the right half of the train when it divides (e.g. at Bournemouth). I have no idea how they would cope with being in the right 2 coaches out of an 8 or 10 coach train, which changed make up multiple times along the way...

Yours, Mike.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

And presumably confusing for the poor passengers! How many times did they experience a major change in the organization of their train on a journey from, say, Liverpool to Penzance or St Ives?

Folk today struggle with the Waterloo - Weymouth service when all they need to do is make sure they are in the right half of the train when it divides (e.g. at Bournemouth). I have no idea how they would cope with being in the right 2 coaches out of an 8 or 10 coach train, which changed make up multiple times along the way...

Yours, Mike.

They would probably rely blindly on some kind of App and that probably explains why I have seen so many seats marked "reserved" all the way from Carlisle to Euston that nobody ever sits in....

• Agree 5

On 28/02/2021 at 14:43, The Fatadder said:

Was there any idea of date on that photo Mike?  I think that’s one of the first clear photos I’ve seen of that service 

It has to be 1935 or after as the power signalling is in place.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1