Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Would somebody mind messaging this unwary modeller with the name?  I have a sneaking suspicion that I know anyway, but would like to avoid falling foul.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Very unlike Peco to drop a clanger like that, although I do not know what exactly has been said. It would be useful to know.

Cooper-Craft.

The article refers  to "Rolling stock for Kingsferry", the stock referred to are Mallard/Blacksmiths coach kits from the above.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

This is all very well but during the hot spell did any Micas come through Stoke Courtney with supplies of Pendletons Twicers for the good folk of Devon or even a supply of Jubblies ?

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, checkrail said:

I'm too young to remember Pendleton's Twicers, honest!

Never heard of 'em myself - a quick Google suggests that they were a Northern thing. The equivalents in North London when I was growing up were Wall's Splits or Lyons Maid Mivvis, which I most certainly do remember.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Silus said:

Ooo, a Strawberry Mivvy - now you're talking!

11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I agree but I think my favourite Lyons Maid lolly was the FAB.

Both good, but my favourite at the time was an Orange Maid.

Paul.

P.S. Have FABs got smaller or is it rose tinted memory?

Edited by 5BarVT
Question
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

We should stop now.

@checkrail  Do you have any more scenic plans?

Thank you AlfaZagato (and all you ice cream fans) for deftly changing the subject.

There's nothing I aspire to on the scenic side which I could dignify with the word 'plan', but I do have some E-Z line in stock with which I intend to add some wire to the signal wire posts.  (I'm not even going to think about the telegraph wires - that way madness lies!

And I might add a few more reeds to the field with the little pond.  And one of these fine days I might renew the post-and-wire fencing at the front of the layout at the goods yard end.  It's suffered a bit of battering now and then due to its position, and is a long way from being as neat as Kevin's @KNP

I quite enjoyed doing the scenics (especially the groundwork, with the hot glue gun and cardboard lattice work), but was glad when I'd finished.  For me any non-railway scenics are intended to be just a foil or backdrop to the trains.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Coaches looking good. I appreciate your point of view on the iron minks. Most of mine are Ratio and have been on the layout for many many years. What I like about the Ratio is the ease to convert to other versions. This one I did as a teenager (yes the kit has been around that long) and depicted as one with replacement wooden doors. I have just brought this one in for new buffers and brake lever.

The mink that is often overlooked in my opinion, is the Kirk big mink with the original doors. It was one of the first 'basic' kits he did. I have lots of these and have converted them to other versions courtesy of the Railway Modeler articles by Brian Huxley in the 1970's.

2048459059_Ironminkratio1lr.jpg.9d44ab5c2f39dbaf492f1b5e21b90ef6.jpg

1091307862_KirkMink1lr.jpg.a27c6bf192237c56fe679f20f1ea31d5.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

Thanks @Miss Prism, having read through the article, it would appear to be a Vi6. So now I have some clue about what diagram to search out the running numbers for.

Sorry if I hogged the thread here, looking at the quality of your coach building compared to mine I might just stick with a freight only branch!

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Coaches looking good. I appreciate your point of view on the iron minks. Most of mine are Ratio and have been on the layout for many many years. What I like about the Ratio is the ease to convert to other versions. This one I did as a teenager (yes the kit has been around that long) and depicted as one with replacement wooden doors. I have just brought this one in for new buffers and brake lever.

The mink that is often overlooked in my opinion, is the Kirk big mink with the original doors. It was one of the first 'basic' kits he did. I have lots of these and have converted them to other versions courtesy of the Railway Modeler articles by Brian Huxley in the 1970's.

2048459059_Ironminkratio1lr.jpg.9d44ab5c2f39dbaf492f1b5e21b90ef6.jpg

1091307862_KirkMink1lr.jpg.a27c6bf192237c56fe679f20f1ea31d5.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

I have inherited one of Mike's early Iron Mink conversions with the wooden doors. It has wooden doors, plastic wheels and runs beautifully.
Mike put me on to the early Kirk big minks. I have twp of those running in my Western Region fitted freight.
The early Kirk wagon kits are well worth finding and building. Proper modelling, add a bit of extra detail and they are Great.
Chris.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I like the different browns.

Wow!  I find that quite reassuring!  I've been cursing myself for a couple of years for using Railmatch coach brown instead of trying to match the shade Hornby use.  The thought of repainting (and especially re-lettering) all the kit-built coaches has been haunting me. 

Henceforth, if challenged,  I'm going to claim that Miss Prism's much deeper GWR prototype knowledge has let me off the hook!  

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Wow!  I find that quite reassuring!  I've been cursing myself for a couple of years for using Railmatch coach brown instead of trying to match the shade Hornby use.  The thought of repainting (and especially re-lettering) all the kit-built coaches has been haunting me. 

Henceforth, if challenged,  I'm going to claim that Miss Prism's much deeper GWR prototype knowledge has let me off the hook!  

You only have to look at the few genuine pre-war colour views to see the differences in shades of brown - and cream - to be seen on GWR coaches.  David Jenkinson's  'Big Four in Colour' has a number of views that shew the variations to be seen and this book has became almost a bible to me in my efforts to get an authentic appearance to trains.

Gerry

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, checkrail said:

I do have some E-Z line in stock with which I intend to add some wire to the signal wire posts.  (I'm not even going to think about the telegraph wires - that way madness lies!

Almost every application of E-Z Line that I have seen has the line stretched taut, which defeats the point to me.

A late friend had a super model of Stafford station set in 1963. He'd modelled all the OHLE structures but none of the wires. The eye was deceived totally.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I have inherited one of Mike's early Iron Mink conversions with the wooden doors. It has wooden doors, plastic wheels and runs beautifully.
Mike put me on to the early Kirk big minks. I have twp of those running in my Western Region fitted freight.
The early Kirk wagon kits are well worth finding and building. Proper modelling, add a bit of extra detail and they are Great.
Chris.

If it wasn't for @Ian Kirk I'd never have modelled a china-clay line in Cornwall.

He's got a lot to answer for...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 7
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1