Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

This picture might be of interest. 

Indeed it is.  Oh for enough space to operate long through portions like that, forming and re-forming trains from and to multiple destinations, instead of my token effort of one measly through coach.  How much more interesting than shunting wagons.  But rather large compromises have to be made to squeeze some impression of a mainline junction station into a space 13' x 10' approx.!  

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but you have given the impression of enough space which is all that matters!   Mr Philo  had the space but didn’t show much  of the action from what I remember!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, checkrail said:

>>>> But rather large compromises have to be made to squeeze some impression of a mainline junction station into a space 13' x 10' approx.!  

I know how you feel but you’re doing a mighty fine job! I’d say you’re an excellent illusionist!

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

This picture might be of interest.  It shows 5573 propelling the through coaches to Paddington off the 10:50 from Kingsbridge onto the Up Main at Brent.  It would then run-round before taking them on to Newton Abbott where, presumably, they would be combined with a portion off the Torbay branch. 24 June 1961 apparently.

2131496940_X098_BRW5573Brent24-6-61.jpg.d541169dbb6caea62eebee3197534e15.jpg

Now that's interesting! It appears to have been taken just a minute or two before this one:

Our man has now walked to the other end of the crossover to clip it up. The original comment regarding drawing forward into the Up Loop then propelling the TCs on to the rear of the main train now makes more sense.

Would that fellow have been the guard, a porter or what?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

This picture might be of interest.  It shows 5573 propelling the through coaches to Paddington off the 10:50 from Kingsbridge onto the Up Main at Brent.  It would then run-round before taking them on to Newton Abbott where, presumably, they would be combined with a portion off the Torbay branch. 24 June 1961 apparently.

2131496940_X098_BRW5573Brent24-6-61.jpg.d541169dbb6caea62eebee3197534e15.jpg

I dont think I have seen that photo before, its a pretty useful one for scenic detailing (even if it is a bit late).  I think I need to start adding grass to that loading dock...

Nice to see an earlier view of the same movement (in colour too!)  Its a shame that (as far as I can tell) this working hadnt returned in the late 40s, although I think I will have to do something similar as a special... 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Mr Philo  had the space but didn’t show much  of the action from what I remember!

Thanks Mike - it's nice that you remember my initial inspiration in my first ever copy of RM in February 1959.  Visions of that layout have been in my mind ever since - a powerful influence and a look to aspire to.  

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:
14 hours ago, checkrail said:

>>>> But rather large compromises have to be made to squeeze some impression of a mainline junction station into a space 13' x 10' approx.!  

I know how you feel but you’re doing a mighty fine job! I’d say you’re an excellent illusionist!

Thanks Trevor.  Throughout I've been heeding the mantras "Less is more" and "Simplify and omit", and trying to resist the temptation to fill every space with a feature or cameo, leaving what is present with "room to breathe" as Andy Y. puts it.  That too is probably the influence of Mr Philo's layout.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

It shows 5573 propelling the through coaches to Paddington off the 10:50 from Kingsbridge onto the Up Main at Brent.  It would then run-round before taking them on to Newton Abbott

My brain is dead this morning, so I can't remember what banks (Rattery?) were between South Brent and NA, but I'm a bit surprised 5573 haul 5 bogies over them.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

My brain is dead this morning, so I can't remember what banks (Rattery?) were between South Brent and NA, but I'm a bit surprised 5573 haul 5 bogies over them.

Going down Rattery but then climbing from Ashburton Jcn to Dainton Siding.  5 coaches was well within the 55XX permitted load of 210 tons. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Going down Rattery but then climbing from Ashburton Jcn to Dainton Siding.  5 coaches was well within the 55XX permitted load of 210 tons. 

However, I'm pretty sure the TCs were attached at Brent not NA. The 55 would have gone back to its branch train and pottered off back to Kingsbridge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:
22 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Yes, but if we go by Mike Roach's accompanying description of the Morant collection photo 5573 wasn't going there anyway - it was merely attaching the ex-Kingsbridge portion to the back of an eastbound express before resuming other duties.  (That's made me wonder - what gradients were there on the Kingsbridge branch?)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Yes, but if we go by Mike Roach's accompanying description of the Morant collection photo 5573 wasn't going there anyway - it was merely attaching the ex-Kingsbridge portion to the back of an eastbound express before resuming other duties.  (That's made me wonder - what gradients were there on the Kingsbridge branch?)

Crikey, John, you do know how to distract a bloke from what he's supposed to be doing!

Ruling gradients (not the complete gradient profile) on the Kingsbridge Branch, from the Summer 1952 Service Timetable:

Brent - Avonwick 1 in 50 falling

Avonwick - Gara Bridge 1 in 83 falling

Gara Bridge - Topsham Crossing 1 in 110 falling

Topsham Crossing - Loddiswell 1 in 50 rising

Loddiswell - Stop Board (at 10M 64C) 1 in 50 rising

Stop Board - Kingsbridge 1 in 50 falling

Freight trains stopped at the Stop Board to pin down (Down trains) or pick up (Up trains) brakes.

Standard Loads of Passenger, Parcels, Milk and Fish trains for Engine Working Purposes, from the 1945 Service Timetable Appendix:

44xx/45xx/55xx 200 tons, 0-6-0T 144 tons, 0-4-2T 120 tons

Just to round it off, in Summer 1952 the 1055 SO Kingsbridge - Brent consisted only of the through coaches to Paddington, arriving at Brent at 1127. The through coaches were attached by the Branch engine to the rear of the 1115 Plymouth, which arrived at Brent at 1145 and departed at 1154. The Branch engine ran light back to Kingsbridge, departing Brent at 1153 and arriving at Kingsbridge at 1220.

As I said in a talk to the British Railway Modellers of Australia a couple of years ago, it's amazing what timetables can tell you apart from the times of the trains!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Just to round it off, in Summer 1952 the 1055 SO Kingsbridge - Brent consisted only of the through coaches to Paddington, arriving at Brent at 1127. The through coaches were attached by the Branch engine to the rear of the 1115 Plymouth, which arrived at Brent at 1145 and departed at 1154. The Branch engine ran light back to Kingsbridge, departing Brent at 1153 and arriving at Kingsbridge at 1220.

Great stuff John - completes the story, and hopefully ends any confusion!  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As I said in a talk to the British Railway Modellers of Australia a couple of years ago, it's amazing what timetables can tell you apart from the times of the trains!

As one brought up on ‘modern’ (i.e. 70s onwards) WTTs it was a revelation to find what was in 50s and 60s equivalents.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Tryping
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

As one brought up on ‘modern’ (i.e. 70s onwards) WTTs it was a revelation to find what was in 50s and 60s equivalents.

Paul.

All part of the shifting sands of source locations over the years.  By the 1970s you needed about half a dozen different documents to find out what had been in three only 30 years previously (f you're talking about the GWR/WR that is, different if talking about other Companies)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

His unmade coach kits are going for 200 sheets on eBay at the moment.

Crazy when he will sell you them at his normal price. I came away with an M13 van today. His clerestory TPO is almost there. His new K22 is also ready. I did not go there as I have several built and definitely do not  need another.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Then points from the up refuge will be cleared and the trap points clipped.

Agree with everything, Mike, except this bit. By 1963, at least, the exit from the Up Loop had an FPL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

(Note to self: paint the back of the bridge pillars and/or learn to clone colours on Affinity.)

Ain't it the way.  Until you pointed that out I would never have noticed.  The question is, should I have noticed earlier?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2