Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

15 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Crazy when he will sell you them at his normal price. I came away with an M13 van today. His clerestory TPO is almost there. His new K22 is also ready. I did not go there as I have several built and definitely do not  need another.

Mike Wiltshire

Hi Mike,

Is David trading again or is he just selling off what he'd already got?

Kind regards

David

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Mogul now heading through the station limits.  That express must have got away sharpish as I see the up line is already clear for another train. (Or perhaps I just forgot to put the signal back to danger!)

zmg3.jpg.2eacf83429647face0852feac05df0da.jpg

The following train should be okay: According to the thread the express left at 11:15 on Tuesday. :jester: 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Agree with everything, Mike, except this bit. By 1963, at least, the exit from the Up Loop had an FPL.

In fact much earlier than that.  The loop is shown as a passenger loop in the 1939 Appendix so it almost certainly dates from the conversion of the Up Refuge Siding to a loop in October 1937, and the provision of the new lever frame in the 'box in that year.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Hi Mike,

Is David trading again or is he just selling off what he'd already got?

Kind regards

David

A bit of both. Coach kits- some on the shelf, others can be made up but castings can be an issue and it is when he can cast as he is having a few mobility issues at the moment, Wagon kits from remaining stock. Loco kits were never his, some are in stock, others will need castings ordered. He has new kits for a K22 and an L3/4 TPO.

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Agree with everything, Mike, except this bit. By 1963, at least, the exit from the Up Loop had an FPL.

His Brent is set in 1928 and pre dates the extending of the up and down refuge into loops.

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

In fact much earlier than that.  The loop is shown as a passenger loop in the 1939 Appendix so it almost certainly dates from the conversion of the Up Refuge Siding to a loop in October 1937, and the provision of the new lever frame in the 'box in that year.

Thanks Mike. My data consists of the 1896 and 1963 signalling diagrams so hard to pin down dates between them!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

His Brent is set in 1928 and pre dates the extending of the up and down refuge into loops.

Mike Wiltshire

Fair enough. I was referring to the 1961 photos, though.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

How old must the tooling now be for those Airfix/Hornby & Lima siphons?  They still stand up pretty well and look the part.

Yes they do, don't they? The bodies are excellent. New bogies and new buffers really take them to a higher level.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 09/08/2021 at 17:30, Harlequin said:

Is that someone crouching over the near crossover points? Possibly unclipping them???

(A good pose for a new Modelu figure. :smile_mini:)

Yes and there is another workman in the 6ft way (just above the sign) plus of course there are passengers on the train, not forgetting the footplate crew member leaning  ou of the cab..

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Parcels train passing through the station platforms.

zmg13.jpg.84ce25f3c92e8b89b3c5df2636dc0f1b.jpg

zmg14.jpg.c270d51020a1a0842eac0868ef7ff83b.jpg

Nice to see the K22 featuring in the toplight mini-poll over on ANTB.

zmg15.jpg.faf01337c752c294a2a1d77ecd53e50e.jpg

zmg16.jpg.582d9ad92c26c037477d102736167cf2.jpg

John C.

Gorgeous.
Two types that should ne RtR.
K22 and a Siphon J.
As a Manchester BR modeller of a large timespan, both of these appeared in Manchester. I would, DEFINITELY buy examples of both.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

19 hours ago, checkrail said:

zmg16.jpg.582d9ad92c26c037477d102736167cf2.jpg

Your photos are always superb, what lighting/camera set up do you use? My layout always seems over bright/vivid, I have a High quality Canon compact camera with optical zoom, but even pics taken with a mega bucks Canon Digital SLR the pics esp. grass are to vivid. My lights are two 5ft 'natural' fluorescent.

21 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Gorgeous.
Two types that should ne RtR.
K22 and a Siphon J.
As a Manchester BR modeller of a large timespan, both of these appeared in Manchester. I would, DEFINITELY buy examples of both.
Regards,
Chris.

I would hope Hornby would produce these two. They have taken the lead in quality parcels stock, both bogie and 4wheeled.
Their latest SR Utility Van is a work of art.
A BR Blue Gresley full-brake would be nice though.:lol:
Beggar, I've quoted myself!   :lol:
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

I would hope Hornby would produce these two. They have taken the lead in quality parcels stock, both bogie and 4wheeled.
Their latest SR Utility Van is a work of art.
A BR Blue Gresley full-brake would be nice though.:lol:
Beggar, I've quoted myself!   :lol:
Regards,
Chris.

Though, isn't that syphon J a inside frame G? :D

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, confused said:

what lighting/camera set up do you use? 

Thanks for kind comments re photos of Stoke C.

Lighting, like yours, is from fluorescent tubes, a mix of 4 foot and 5 foot ones, daylight tone.   I very occasionally use a spotlamp sourced on eBay when I think a photo might need a little auxiliary lighting.

Camera is a Panasonic TZ100.  I know very little about photography and this camera will do all sorts of things I'll never understand.  What little I do know is based on trial & error and some useful tips from @KNP of this parish who gets consistently great results with the same camera over on Little Muddle.

For what it's worth I take most pictures in post-focus mode, aperture priority (A), on F8, ISO 800, ISO increment 1/3 EV, 10 sec. timer delay, and then focus-merge the resulting images using the Affinity Photo software I have installed on my laptop.  (The Affinity package will also do scores of other processing tricks I don't yet understand.  I'm a slow learner with this sort of stuff.)

I think one element in avoiding the 'over vivid' look you mention is to keep the colours and contrasts on the layout itself pretty restrained.  That goes for the trains too.  Though I wouldn't go quite as far as a bloke I once read of who'd allegedly over-sprayed his entire layout with a light misting of grey paint.

John C.

Edited by checkrail
typo
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Though, isn't that syphon J a inside frame G?

Yep, can confirm that the van next to the K22 is an inside-framed siphon G, the old Lima model.  But of course, as @Sandholewould no doubt agree, Hornby should feel free to produce a siphon J anytime they like!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Yep, can confirm that the van next to the K22 is an inside-framed siphon G, the old Lima model.  But of course, as @Sandholewould no doubt agree, Hornby should feel free to produce a siphon J anytime they like!

Totally agree. Their G's & H are basically nice models so upgrades would also be nice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3