Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

1 minute ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks David, what was the general opinion? Given the deficiencies we have observed above.

Neal,

Complimentary on the level of detail.  "hard to believe .. 3D printed".  They comment on the 'stepping' om the printing and there's a comment that it fits the Jinty chassis and not the Bachmann 57xx but it's fairly short and factual.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

BTW, I'm assuming here that being viewed from left side the fireman's slacking off a tad?

He is indeed Colin.  Sometimes the pose adopted is the one that will give the best purchase to the adhesive that holds figures to the inside of the cab!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Graham T said:

Could you tell me where you got the station lamps from please?

I'm pretty sure I got them from Dart Castings (if you can find them on their labyrinth of a website).  They're actually streetlamps rather than the correct GWR pattern.  I was too clumsy to cut out and glue the glazing properly so used the clear acrylic inners from some old Merit (now Peco?) gas lamps.  They're a tad too small but not noticeable from a distance.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, checkrail said:

I'm pretty sure I got them from Dart Castings (if you can find them on their labyrinth of a website).  They're actually streetlamps rather than the correct GWR pattern.  I was too clumsy to cut out and glue the glazing properly so used the clear acrylic inners from some old Merit (now Peco?) gas lamps.  They're a tad too small but not noticeable from a distance.

Thanks very much.  I know what you mean about that website - a touch busy!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, checkrail said:

Current project is to update my Hornby H33 restaurant car to late 1930s condition using Comet sides.  

1985196949_P1060803(2).JPG.d0eb5ba863c2fc5bcf2d645a2ffd7993.JPG

520844842_P1060804(2).JPG.b9e94cb194cdc6cc3e1550b38041ae43.JPG

1620103109_P1060805(2).JPG.04fceb72f1089c4867f13f6d1f77aec8.JPG

I did a lot of the hard yards two or three years ago, so it already has a new style Hornby Collett underframe & bogies, with the continuous stepboard removed (except for directly below the doors) and Comet gas cylinders added, plus replacement shell vents and roof handrails.  It also has Keen Systems replacement Collett coach ends with floating gangways.  This means that the coach is already the right length, so the sides will need trimming.  On offering them up to both the model and the Russell book drawings it looks like I might be able to do this necessary shortening at one end only (if the position of the aforementioned stepboards allows - must look at that again before I reach for the saw).

P1060806.JPG.fbd1efe5fc2505da4bfa4cd2cf50a2d1.JPG

And once this is done I can put my Wolverhampton - Penzance express back into service for a spell.  (It vies for fiddleyard space with a north to west express.)

John C.

This will be interesting to watch if I may! 

I looked at the Comet sides as a project potentially from Santa…. I have 3 x donor carriages I could use.

Good luck John, look forward to seeing it progress.

34 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Informative and thought provoking post from @Crichel Down on @KNP's Little Muddle thread the other day.  It seems that the GWR stopped hosting enamel advertising signs (with only one or two exceptions) around 1935 and that their removal was pretty quick.  Who knew?  Certainly not I!  So the signs in the photo below couldn't have co-existed with a copper-capped Aylburton Grange (or for that matter with this diagram of Fruit D I suppose), and certainly not with 3603 as featured in yesterday's pics.

xn8.jpg.ac99977c04e3747f627b392ebc8a606d.jpg

But I like my enamel signs (courtesy of Sankey Scenics and faced with clear duck tape to provide a bit of a surface sheen), so I'm going to invoke Rule 1.  Anyway, removing them would damage my platform fencing!

John C.

Yes, I also wasn’t aware of this…. Nor was I aware of the comments about coal staithes not being as common a feature as we all believed. Yesterdays posts on @Graham T Chuffnel Regis layout.

I have loads of Sankey Scenics signs to add to the station, so will also be invoking rule 1 :-) 

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, checkrail said:

Current project is to update my Hornby H33 restaurant car to late 1930s condition using Comet sides.  

I did a lot of the hard yards two or three years ago, so it already has a new style Hornby Collett underframe & bogies, with the continuous stepboard removed (except for directly below the doors) and Comet gas cylinders added, plus replacement shell vents and roof handrails.  It also has Keen Systems replacement Collett coach ends with floating gangways.  This means that the coach is already the right length, so the sides will need trimming.  On offering them up to both the model and the Russell book drawings it looks like I might be able to do this necessary shortening at one end only (if the position of the aforementioned stepboards allows - must look at that again before I reach for the saw).

And once this is done I can put my Wolverhampton - Penzance express back into service for a spell.  (It vies for fiddleyard space with a north to west express.)

John C.

Will be very interested to see how this comes out when its finished, having done a similar conversion I have given thought before to upgrading it with the new Hornby underframe.

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Informative and thought provoking post from @Crichel Down on @KNP's Little Muddle thread the other day.  It seems that the GWR stopped hosting enamel advertising signs (with only one or two exceptions) around 1935 and that their removal was pretty quick.  Who knew?  Certainly not I!  So the signs in the photo below couldn't have co-existed with a copper-capped Aylburton Grange (or for that matter with this diagram of Fruit D I suppose), and certainly not with 3603 as featured in yesterday's pics.

Something I also hadnt realised, very glad that you have brought this up before I started adding them to Brent!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On the subject of the display of enamel adverts, I strongly agree with 'Rule 1'.

I like these adverts too.  My 'base' period on the Burford Branch allows me to add them with a clear conscience, but I sometimes run stock on the layout from a later period, and I just shrug my shoulders at this and other anachronisms in those circumstances.

My general approach is that I like to know what the correct position was, and then (if I choose to do so) I simply ignore it - Rule 1 again.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6